PDA

View Full Version : SPOT device

Call of the Wild
05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Is it possible to rent a SPOT device for a week or two just like renting a satellite phone? Any store in mind?

The device is great to reassure others that you’re ok while in the bush or deep in the mountains.

Call of the Wild

Bow Walker
05-31-2010, 08:55 AM
If you're out in the bush for the amount of time that you said you and your buddy were/are (in your Air Lift Insurance thread) it would pay you to just buy one, wouldn't it?

srupp
05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
hmmm they do not rent spot units as far as I know..as important as a GPS is when you need to know where you are these are THAT important for OTHERS knowing where you are and are safe..

If push comes to shove..and you are stuck..I will LOAN YOU my personal unit for a 2 week time..you would just need to pay shipping to and from your location.(unless I am on a hunting trip @ the same time)

I think a better plan is to buy one they are extremelly inexpensive and work extremely well You recognize their importance in your desire to rent one..they ARE that important and not expensive to go buy one..

CHEERS

Steven Rupp

SPOT PRO REP

SPOT CANADA

WILLIAMS LAKE BC

hoho
05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Is it possible to rent a SPOT device for a week or two just like renting a satellite phone? Any store in mind?

The device is great to reassure others that you’re ok while in the bush or deep in the mountains.

Call of the Wild

Go on eBay get the SPOT Tracker under $150.00(London Drug close to $200.00)and get the basic service plus Tracking option cost $.149.99US per year.It is an excellent device when you're out of Cell phone service area.
Good luck and Cheer.

Bluedsteel
05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
That thing is garbage, runs on the globalstar sattelite network. Half the time it doesn't work. I used to have Globalstar phones when guiding and they were terrible. You need an Iridium phone which you can rent from these guys http://www.roadpost.ca/terms_and_conditions.aspx it cost me about ten dollars per day plus usage. These guys mailed to me then when I was done I just had purlator pick it up and send it back. I will deffinitely use them again. Check out reviews online for the spot.

The Hermit
05-31-2010, 02:58 PM
PHONES AND SPOT ARE ALTOGETHER DIFFERENT USE OF THE SATELLITES. The SPOT only needs a second or two of connection time to compete its function and my works GREAT!!

Slee
05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Mine works every time I use it. They are great and pretty cheap. peace of mind for the old lady for sure!

SHACK
05-31-2010, 03:09 PM
That thing is garbage, runs on the globalstar sattelite network. Half the time it doesn't work. I used to have Globalstar phones when guiding and they were terrible. You need an Iridium phone which you can rent from these guys http://www.roadpost.ca/terms_and_conditions.aspx it cost me about ten dollars per day plus usage. These guys mailed to me then when I was done I just had purlator pick it up and send it back. I will deffinitely use them again. Check out reviews online for the spot.

I will agree that Globalstar sat phone coverage is absolute CRAP! The spot however is far from it, and has worked flawlessly in any location I have been in! I believe you are basing your opinion on Globalstars sat phones and hearsay, not actual use, and let me tell ya, they work, and well.

Bluedsteel
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
I will agree that Globalstar sat phone coverage is absolute CRAP! The spot however is far from it, and has worked flawlessly in any location I have been in! I believe you are basing your opinion on Globalstars sat phones and hearsay, not actual use, and let me tell ya, they work, and well.

It runs on the same satellite network as globalstar and they (Globalstar) not doing so well. No offence to anyone who has one of these "Spots" but when I go up north and a hundred miles in the bush I'm not going to trust my life to anything that runs on that network. If you are interested in the SPOT do your research as I did and you may change your mind. A lot of people are having issues with it but some are claiming it's great. I hate gambling when it comes to personal safety.

Bluedsteel
05-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Here is over a hundred reviews for the"SPOT", check them out. There are more good than bad but it's the bad ones that really worry me. Hope it helps. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-1-Personal-Tracker/product-reviews/B000YTZV74/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

bigwhiteys
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
It runs on the same satellite network as globalstar and they (Globalstar) not doing so well. No offence to anyone who has one of these "Spots" but when I go up north and a hundred miles in the bush I'm not going to trust my life to anything that runs on that network. If you are interested in the SPOT do your research as I did and you may change your mind. A lot of people are having issues with it but some are claiming it's great. I hate gambling when it comes to personal safety.

I've had my SPOT for 3 years now and have used it all over the north country without fail (including the 911 feature - by accident) Many of the reviews, and upset users, are users not reading instructions.

Carl

troutseeker
05-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Mine has been Spot on every time I've used it.

Gateholio
05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Every SPOT message has worked for my buddy that he has sent me, over the last 2 years.

winchester284
05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
My spot has worked every time! The reason there are some negative reviews is that people do not follow the instructions!

bighornbob
05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Cabelas has them (the older model/bigger one) on sale right now for $99 and you get a $50 Visa card with it. That's only $50 bucks for the unit and anothet $100 for the service.

Cant beat that price.

BHB

Call of the Wild
05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the Input guys. I like the features of the spot and its size. If the cost of renting a spot woud justify it ill rent one this year. A lot of my budget this year is for equiping myself of the necessary backpacking/mountain gear.

I know they are affordable and ill buy one if need to.

Call of the wild

srupp
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Blued steel..I had only 2 complaints sent to me personally..so I took the time to have them checked with Globalstar tech..both ended up being operator error .

I told Globalstar when I signed up if it works I will tell everyone..if it doesnt I will tell everyone. THEY WORK. Period. I work as a Paramedic and have had serious problems with the sattelight radio ..it is duplex system and the SPOT uses the other side of the sytem the simplex side..and tonns of positive events.. again a couple weeks ago near Williams Lake another life was saved with this unit..They work... and if you do not have the correct information contact me i will call you on my quarter (I am UNPAID as a SPOT rep ) but I believe in these units.

So far I personally have not had a failure with my unit.. and I have talked with literally hundreds of folks..so far 2 complaints and after a investigation..I do not want my name associated with crap.. it was discovered both were user error..and when i talked with the owners the realized the difference..and the mistake..

I have used it on 60 degrees..Yukon..to Kwatna bay where the mts tower into the clouds in steep straight up cliffs,,no failures..not 1 and I document each sent message to ensure all went through...

I am monitoring these units they are working exceptionally well..and I find your comments unfair..given the lack of personal use..etc..

Again i would make myself available at any time to adress your concerns and issues and answer any question regarding the difference between the simplex..spot and the duplex radio system..and why one works and one doesnt.

cheers

Steven Rupp

SPOT pro rep Canada

ps I dont know where you could rent one..$129 to buy one...rent IF available $100??

What is more important than your health an your life??With no comunication it isnt safe IF an emergency occures.cheap insurance nuff said..

Bluedsteel
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Blued steel..I had only 2 complaints sent to me personally..so I took the time to have them checked with Globalstar tech..both ended up being operator error .

I told Globalstar when I signed up if it works I will tell everyone..if it doesnt I will tell everyone. THEY WORK. Period. I work as a Paramedic and have had serious problems with the sattelight radio ..it is duplex system and the SPOT uses the other side of the sytem the simplex side..and tonns of positive events.. again a couple weeks ago near Williams Lake another life was saved with this unit..They work... and if you do not have the correct information contact me i will call you on my quarter (I am UNPAID as a SPOT rep ) but I believe in these units.

So far I personally have not had a failure with my unit.. and I have talked with literally hundreds of folks..so far 2 complaints and after a investigation..I do not want my name associated with crap.. it was discovered both were user error..and when i talked with the owners the realized the difference..and the mistake..

I have used it on 60 degrees..Yukon..to Kwatna bay where the mts tower into the clouds in steep straight up cliffs,,no failures..not 1 and I document each sent message to ensure all went through...

I am monitoring these units they are working exceptionally well..and I find your comments unfair..given the lack of personal use..etc..

Again i would make myself available at any time to adress your concerns and issues and answer any question regarding the difference between the simplex..spot and the duplex radio system..and why one works and one doesnt.

cheers

Steven Rupp

SPOT pro rep Canada

ps I dont know where you could rent one..$129 to buy one...rent IF available $100??

What is more important than your health an your life??With no comunication it isnt safe IF an emergency occures.cheap insurance nuff said..

You can deliver your little sales pitch all you want but the bottom line here is safety. Do I feel safe using a Spot where I hunt "NO". The reason being is that I could be laying on the side of a mountain with a broken leg wondering if my SPOT got through, there is no confirmation message that lets you know you did get through and that's a huge issue. Sattelite reception can be a little difficult to aquire in the mountains and at least with an Iridium Sat phone Ill know my ass is grass if I can't get through. Way too many intelligent people have tried this thing and will not trust their lives to it and until they work out all the kinks in this thing. I agree that it is ok for some people but if you are going on a sheep hunt in a remote area get something that has 2 way communication. You get what you pay for. As far as my comments being unfair, I did my research and I will not test this thing with my life so I'll go with something a lot more reliable. What you are doing is giving people false hope, just because you're toy is tracking you on line does not mean that the 911 feature will work if needed. People need to hear the good with the bad.

The Hermit
06-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Iridium Sat Phone = $1700 US plus ... monthly fees of $100, plus $2.00 per minute. Bigger, Heavier. I've heard of guys not having great success with the technology too... good and bad for all tech systems. For thousands and thousands of years people went sheep hunting without any electronic safety net...

The Hermit
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the Input guys. I like the features of the spot and its size. If the cost of renting a spot woud justify it ill rent one this year. A lot of my budget this year is for equiping myself of the necessary backpacking/mountain gear.

I know they are affordable and ill buy one if need to.

Call of the wild

Franko Manini has one for sale pretty cheap... I've seen it, and received updates from it... perfect. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51195

bigwhiteys
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
You can deliver your little sales pitch all you want but the bottom line here is safety. Do I feel safe using a Spot where I hunt "NO". The reason being is that I could be laying on the side of a mountain with a broken leg wondering if my SPOT got through, there is no confirmation message that lets you know you did get through and that's a huge issue. Sattelite reception can be a little difficult to aquire in the mountains and at least with an Iridium Sat phone Ill know my ass is grass if I can't get through. Way too many intelligent people have tried this thing and will not trust their lives to it and until they work out all the kinks in this thing.

Irregardless of the sales pitch, I've used my SPOT on mountainsides and mountaintops in the north country and it's worked flawlessy, in heavy timber, in canyons too... Just READ the instructions, (even intelligent people fail that simple little step) and the unit works fine. When the unit has successfully sent it's message it will flash the LED's in a series. I think they flash 3 or 4 times... I'd have to read the instructions again.

It's better than nothing, especially when you're laying on the side of a mountain with a broken leg! You could have fell and broke your sat phone.

Carl