PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent questions (materials)

jhausner
05-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi all, been looking to buy a wall tent recently for hunting in the fall (and possibly spring) and have come on a few really good deals through connections for vinyl wall tents. I've only ever hunted in canvas styled tents heated by wood stove and am curious as to any experiencing people have had with vinyl tents that are wood stove heated.

My concern was with condesation but I'd imagine with some venting and a good fly (to also prevent burn holes) in combo with the wood stove based heat (which tends to dry out moisture) it wouldn't be an issue. It would save me a pile of money rather than going for a $1000+ canvas tent combo.

Any thoughts?

BCBRAD
05-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I think canvas is superior to other materials for wall tents, I have one that has 23 seasons on it, one with 4 seasons on it, a glacier tent and a pymarid tent all canvas. they are repairable and burn holes don't happen if you do not burn garbage in the stove. with canvas heavy weight is not always better, look at the weave and thread count, 10 oz is ideal. they breath well and dry well with wood heat.

The Hermit
05-30-2010, 05:07 PM
The solution is available at an HBC site sponsor, VantagePoint Outfitters.com in our Featherweight model. The walls and ends are constructed with a dark nylon that is Fire Rated, Waterproof, and highly mildew resistant. The roof is a hybrid combination of a large Sunforger treated marine grade cotton section and the nylon. The cotton allows the tent to breath, expelling the condensation and moisture.

The Featherweight wall tents are considerably lighter and pack up into a much smaller bag, and LESS expensive! Hope you will check them out!

Thanks

Bill

cainer
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM
I have one of those big horn 3 tents from cabelas-it's the heavy vinyl type yer talkin about. i used it in oct last year and it was very cold outside-but i had the wood stove in there - Have to say I was impressed. held the warmth in pretty good. get some heavy fabric to protect from sparks near the stove and you should be good to go.

bridger
05-31-2010, 07:18 AM
canvass wall tents were the standard for a lot of years, but like so much other equipment technology has changed the way tents are made. canvass has two characteristics that work against it one is it is at least twice has heavy as other fabrics and it will mildew if not cared for properly. the great thing is that condensation is seldom a problem an they are warm. however if weight and convience of set up and take down are important the new materials win hands down. condensation can be dealt with in several ways. to prevent sparks from burinng holes put a baffle in your stove and that will solve the problem.