PDA

View Full Version : rain bears

buckwild76
05-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Maybe a silly question, but do black bears tend to hunker down in the rain or are they still quite active?

CanuckShooter
05-29-2010, 08:53 AM
The rain doesn't bother them at all.....the only reason they have to hunker down is to catch a couple of zzzzz's.

buckwild76
05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
thanks bud i'm relatively new to bear hunting so i wasn't sure if i would be wasting my time being out there on a liquid sunshine day. cheers

CHEAM
05-29-2010, 09:25 AM
After guiding seven years in the Skeena watershed for bears. I would say that bears do hunker down when it rains. They have to eat sometime if it continues to rain. The best is when it rains none stop and then the sun comes out in the evening. Then everyone comes out!At least that's what I've seen!:)

dave_fras
05-29-2010, 09:31 AM
a agree with cheam!... bears love to come out after it rains!

srupp
05-29-2010, 10:50 AM
cheam...is right....they do come out AFTER the rain..however I have seen plenty of bears out in the rain also..

personally the only time I dont hunt bears is in HEAVY snow falls..and high winds...really high winds..

I have shot a "lot" of bears and I can remember lots of bears shot in the rain..but agree have seen TONS of bears out feeding just after a heavy rain..

steven

Barracuda
05-29-2010, 11:26 AM
see lots of bears in light drizzles and after the rain at all times of the day .

I try not to be out in heavy rain because it is so unpleasant but i have seen them in it .

Trailmaster
05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Most bears will hunker down, I have found the ones that like to eat fawns run around in the rain hunting them, my biggest to date was in the rain, every time i seen him was in the rain when the deer were out.

buckwild76
05-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. good luck

log_roller
05-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Maybe a silly question, but do black bears tend to hunker down in the rain or are they still quite active?

shot one today in the rain. bears dont mind being wet and they dont mind being cold , they just dont like being both:wink:

hunter1947
05-30-2010, 04:32 AM
This is not a silly question and yes you are right bears do hunk her down when the weather is bad ,you do see the odd one when there is bad weather but not what you would see if it was nice out..

ytlogger
05-30-2010, 06:50 AM
see lots of bears in light drizzles and after the rain at all times of the day .

I try not to be out in heavy rain because it is so unpleasant but i have seen them in it .

New to the forum, been lurking for a year or so. I believe that bears do what they do with little regard for the weather other than what the change in seasons 'tell' them. Most folks don't hunt in the driving rain so the bears are less likely to be seen. If you are in a line of work where you are likely to see bears on a regular basis, or you are one of those rare hunters who doesn't hunker down in the rain, I think you would agree.

boxhitch
05-30-2010, 07:20 AM
IMO wildlife react more to wind than they do to rain. They have to eat and their stomachs tell them to get out. They may choose somewhere more sheltered to feed but they are at it.
Add a wind though and I think they lay down more as it messes with the defense mechanisms.

dave_fras
05-30-2010, 07:31 AM
well i was out last night... it was a total down pour... but we did see a little 5 footer! haha... so i guess they do come out!