PDA

View Full Version : Trap lines. What is needed to get started?

Jordo
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Just curious about getting into trapping, and was wondering if any trappers on here had any ideas where a guy could go to either start a trap line, or buy/take over/lease an exsisting one. I really have no idea whats involved, just sort of in the early stages of gathering info/contacts about trapping. MOE would be my first guess, but I thought I would try the HBC members who had experience with trapping. Thanks, Jordan.

proguide66
05-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Just curious about getting into trapping, and was wondering if any trappers on here had any ideas where a guy could go to either start a trap line, or buy/take over/lease an exsisting one. I really have no idea whats involved, just sort of in the early stages of gathering info/contacts about trapping. MOE would be my first guess, but I thought I would try the HBC members who had experience with trapping. Thanks, Jordan.
Check out the original 'wolf trapping thread'.read it through and it will answer all your questions !

BromBones
05-28-2010, 10:11 PM
First you'll need to complete the Trappers Ed course. You can contact the BC Trappers Assoc to find out dates. It is a 3 day course, lots of fun and lots learned. I believe a member here, Pete, is an instructor.

To start trapping, you have a couple options. You can trap private land with the permission of the landowner(s), you can buy/lease a trapline, or get an assistant trappers license to work with someone else on their line.

To find out about lines for sale, etc, you can visit trapper supply outlets as often they'll have a bulletin board with ads posted. Can also join the BCTA and you'll get a quarterly magazine that has some trapline listings printed.

Cheers

boxhitch
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
BC Trappers Association membership would go a long ways toward networking with trappers and followers. Check out their website and forums.
Stating the obvious, but you need a trapping license to work your own line or someone elses.

Chuck
05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Stinky, messy and a lot of fun when you're young, not to mention hard work.
But you'll never get rich or famous doing this sort of thing.
If you can sing - that's the way I'd go. Fame, fortune, drugs and women, and you don't even have to get wet or soil your hands. Just take care you don't burn out your engine. Lol.:)

Pete
05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Jordan.... If you PM through this site I would be more than happy to give you as much information as I can. Little tough doing class through the summer but I will be running courses in the fall and during the winter.