PDA

View Full Version : Dall sheep LEH hunt..questions

srupp
05-28-2010, 03:03 AM
I have been attempting to do my homework in regards to Rollie, Tim and Myself all getting leh tags for Dall sheep in the Tatsenshini MU 6-28..

Once involved with my research I have found the total #s of dall sheep pretty much staying at around 500 animals in total..well under 1% of the total # of Dall sheep...one mountain range in Yukon was estimated to have 22,000 dall sheep...:eek:..the harvest of legal ramshas been 14 in 1980 and zero in 2000 with the average being 8 legal Dall rams harvested yearly in all of BC...

That Taigash lake is the demarcation line for B&C FOR dall versus stone sheep..everything west of that lake is classified Dalls..

That MU 6-29 HAS A INVENTORY of approx 375 dall sheep in total..while my MU 6-28 has grand total of 125 TOTAL dall sheep for that entire MU..not a lot...

I have been reading research papers (they dont mind hunters reading about lungworm in Dall sheep )

Has anyone here hunted this area 6-28...any possibility I could have you send me a pm If I could contact you..not even sure these #s represent a huntable poulation :confused:..I know Bennett lake could be landed on...other lakes higher up and deeper in the region??

Thank you in advance..

cheers
Steven

lol 100 pieces of papers on this area and Dalls...lots of reading.....

boxhitch
05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Interesting article in the fall 2009 issue of Western Canadian Game Warden magazine, gives good insite to the Haines Triangle, and the Dalls sheep.

srupp
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
hmmmm thank you...all names I have heard except the magazine..HOWEVER foundit and have it printed for reading..

cheers

srr

bighornbob
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
When I hunted there in 2007 I phoned a bio and got the harvest stats.

Here they are for resident harvest:
1996 2
1997 2
1998 2
1999 6
2000 0
2001 4
2002 3
2003 0
2004 4
2005 2
2006 1

Everything I have read is that these sheep in 6:28 are actually Yukon sheep that may or may not summer in BC. If you read the story of the BC #1 dall, the hunter hunted in September and killed his ram out of a bunch of 10 or so rams. His buddies were there August 1st and never saw a sheep in 10 days hunting.

This goes with what some say that the sheep may not be in BC until pushed from the Yukon side.

Have also heard of Yukon guys using planes to chase (I mean spot:rolleyes:) sheep back across the border before the season starts.

Regardless not many sheep in that unit and fewer are killed. Some are but when and where is anyones guess.

BHB

srupp
05-28-2010, 02:38 PM
bighorn bob..yes I read that, about these sheep have a VERY HIGH affinity to migrating :wink: back and forth to the Yukon..one researcher even names the co-ordinates and that these sheep move in Oct-Nov when the snow sends em the other way..

I am thinking of Sept..we put in for Grizz..x 3 tags..and goats x 3 tags...know where the goats are, and the grizzly..and starting to narrow down our base camp operations.

Just got a good map with 2 more really detailed maps arriving soon..was at the gym for a hour a walk this am....at least the planes...2 planes are ready..:mrgreen: and all the hunting equipment could be ready in 2 hours...:wink:

me not so much..

good info BHB..and THANKS:mrgreen: