PDA

View Full Version : pink mt quad trip..

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Judy and i went out for a ride tonite with the dogs to try out her new 360 Kawasaki " great little machine". well we get to the back side of the mountain and stop to have a break and to glass around and wow what a site to see looking down below we counted around 90 head of bison with 25 calves.

every where you looked there were bison in small groups along the river and on the outside of the ranch and on the airstrip, that's allot of animals in such a small area! we also seen a Griz close to the base of the mountain looked like a big dude from far away. "the way i like to see them"
hope that Griz can sneak some calves from that heard but i doubt it with numbers like that.

hope to quad down below tomorrow on the halfway trail and get back to horse camp to have a look around.

cheers Jamie

bridger
05-28-2010, 05:01 AM
what condition is the trail around the ranch in? been thinking ofmaking a trip up there myself. bridger

saddlemaker
05-28-2010, 07:02 AM
That post brought back some memories. ( all good) I worked the summer of '75 for the ranch just south of the mountain. That was when Lynn Ross still owned those buffalo. They used to hang out on the airstrip then. We had to chase them out of our fields on occasion (with the tractor..)

I would sure like to get an leh tag for one of them.....12 years trying and nothing...maybe this year.

huntinnewbie
05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
We run 2 2007 Kaw 360 quads and they are great little machines. Not huge but plenty enough to get the job done.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-28-2010, 08:22 AM
will let you know tonite Bridger about the trail, looks wet from up on top.

hillclimber
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a good ride. Bring the camera next time!

tomahawk
05-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Jamie

Hope you tied one up for me for this fall, that bull we got last yr is great eating and plenty of it.

Tom

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
no problem tom looks like we never put a dent in the herd last year looks like its still growing, i was to far away for pictures was looking trough a my new spotting scope.

waistdeep
05-28-2010, 12:45 PM
have the natives finished the cabins up by the horse camp?

Bear Chaser
05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
no problem tom looks like we never put a dent in the herd last year looks like its still growing, i was to far away for pictures was looking trough a my new spotting scope.

What kind of scope did you settle on?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
i got the swarovski 80 HD awesome scope but pricey, took me around 5 months to pay it off with a layaway plan. the guys at backcountry are good to deal with.

did not make it to horse camp going to try today.

cheers Jamie

Fraink
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Good to hear from you again Jamie!! Excited about maybe getting a bison draw, maybe I'll get to drop the hammer this time instead of being the packhorse...LOL. Our crowd all put in for the new opportunity in the first half of Jan. How was business this winter? Still flying around on Google Earth?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
winter this year was busy thank goodness, i hope we all get bison draws this year Lorne and i still go flying around google earth looking for rams lol.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-29-2010, 10:57 PM
well Judy and i made the trip into horse camp on the halfway river trail,the first part around the ranch is no fun lots of mud and winching!!! but once you are on the other side its nice riding.

we did see allot of bison and a few moose and elk, we have some video and some pics going to try to post them in the morning, still a rookie when it comes to computers. cheers Jamie

Drillbit
05-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey Jamie!

You didn't happen to find a blue handled axe up there did you? haha, lost it chasin' the buff!

Looks like nice riding!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
no just found around 20 bungy cords lol ...

Mik
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for posting, sure brings back some great memories.

branman_2000
06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
We were up there last year and we got on the halfway trail got through the mud. Then right after that we saw the the corner fence of the ranch and only enough room for a horse to go through. Any other way to get a quad around that way?