PDA

View Full Version : First Tag Cut

kastles
05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I've been keeping real busy and have not had a chance to post up my first big game animal so here goes story and pics:

The first weekend of May my cousin, Nitwit, and I headed up to Princeton area to have a look around for bears. We had been up there a couple weeks prior and figured by this time it should have greened up. We did not get moving too early cause we had heard that bears don't even get up till after twelve and ended up exiting the far side of Manning Park around 8:30. We went up a couple FSRs north of the highway and were disappointed at how un-green it was. No sign. Nothing.

Back to the highway we saw an FSR headed south. Having never, over all the times we have been up there, gone down we figured to give it a go. Down we went and the road opened up on a nice green valley. Up with the binos to an old logging landing that had grown over with grass and to a stump that was just not placed right. With the naked eye it looked like a stump that had grown on the side of the landing, the part that had been built up. My cousin looked right to the same spot but figured it was a stump. When I called out "Bear" he almost did not believe me. Looking at the map book and the area we knew there was a road down to it. And the stalk was on.

When we found the bear again it was happily grazing away in the same spot. And looked huge. I left my cousin behind as I snuck down the open slope to get in for a closer shot. A few times the bear looked right at me and I thought I was done but it kept eating. About 150y away I found myself a place to lay out and line up for a shot. It took about five minutes for my heart to stop beating out of my chest, throwing my aim off. It turned broadside and I slowly squeezed the trigger for a shot I knew was going to be true. CLICK. Dud primer on my hand loaded 180gr Barnes TTSX. Waited 60 seconds, ejected the unfired round and loaded another. Wait five more minutes for my heart to slow and for a good broadside.

The bear took the round through the ribs and out the other side after putting a hole in the lungs and destroying the esophagus. After it got hit it jumped a 180 and the turned around again and ran twenty feet towards me before piling up dead. She ended up being a lot smaller than either of us had though she was. When I got home I measured 4'8" but really happy with the color.

About 25 pounds of meat went to Ennis Farms for sausage(they called and it is ready) and the hide went to get tanned by Ray Wiens.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/matt_kast/bear%20hunting/P5020076.jpg?t=1275026988

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/matt_kast/bear%20hunting/P5020081.jpg?t=1275026822

Steeleco
05-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Too bad it shrunk on you, but it does happen. Nice coloured coat. Good on you for getting the first one, now it's time for a bigger one!!

peashooter
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
That's a good bear. Congrats.

elkhunter1
05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Great Bear.
And great color.
congrats .

Archer
05-28-2010, 05:33 AM
Great color! Congrats on the first... gotta start somewhere!

hunter1947
05-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Nice bear ,nice story next time it will be a bigger bear ,congrats on getting your bear http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Blainer
05-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Nice color phase bruin.
Good on ya.

whitespringer
05-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Nice bear, way to go!

BiG Boar
05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Thats why you get two bear tags. One to get a nice meat bear and the other when you learned that big ears and long legs = small bear, to get your big fella. Cool that you cut your first tag though. Good job. E***s meat farms makes some terrible tasting product. I had to throw out 10 lbs of jerky. Learn how to make sausage yourself. Its actually really easy and kits with everything in it can be purchased at wholesale sports or stuffers in Langley.

dutchie
05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Thats why you get two bear tags. One to get a nice meat bear and the other when you learned that big ears and long legs = small bear, to get your big fella. Cool that you cut your first tag though. Good job. E***s meat farms makes some terrible tasting product. I had to throw out 10 lbs of jerky. Learn how to make sausage yourself. Its actually really easy and kits with everything in it can be purchased at wholesale sports or stuffers in Langley.

Or just gimme a call and we can have a "Sausage Party". We make lots, and it is alot cheaper..... and it is a DIY kinda thing!!!

Dutchie

xtremearchery
05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
nice color. I have the Daddy at home...lol Colored bears always confuse me. They all look like monsters...lol. What you think lacks in length he makes up for in width. He's a fat bugger. What a trophy! Good eats will be had + a nice rug for the wall. Good going!

jrjonesy
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Congrats on your first animal! Good for you for taking your time and not rushing your shot.

islandhunter
05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Nothing wrong with that bear!! I'm glad to see some hunters out shooting some of these princeton beauties!!

NitwiT
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Glad to have been there with ya Kastles!

kennyj
06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
nice eater with a wicked coat. Congratulations. first tag ever?
kenny

blackwater moose
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
we call them "yum yum's "

BimmerBob
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Or just gimme a call and we can have a "Sausage Party". We make lots, and it is alot cheaper..... and it is a DIY kinda thing!!!
Dutchie

Ummm, I am thinking that I just might want to miss that :confused:

Phil
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
That's a great first bear! Congrats

chainsaw
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
congrats on your first bear, I no exactly were that first pic was taken.

kastles
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
congrats on your first bear, I no exactly were that first pic was taken.

Thanks. Ya it is a pretty sweet area. The second pic was just up the FSR from there towards the Hope-Princeton.

martyonthewater
06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
nice looking fur on a fine freezer bear. congrats

Geronimo
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Way to go Kastles-- Glad to hear you finally cut a tag, I know you have been working hard at your first one. Nice bear too-- great color and a very tasty size, very NICE!!

wunderboy
06-03-2010, 09:46 AM
great job. The color is stunning

mijinkal
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Congrats on the bear!! Too bad it shrunk on ya, but I'm shure you'd have taken it anyways to cut your first tag.

I've taken my deer to Ennis farms and they have done a great job every time and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to others. How'd yours turn out?

kastles
06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh the breakfast sausage tastes awesome. Props to Ennis Farms, everyone likes it.

fester
06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
good job!!! nice bear!!