PDA

View Full Version : First Bear trip. any tips?

FlyingHigh
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
well, my 7mm is telling me it needs to be walked tomorrow. who am i to argue?

anyways, i'm thinking of heading up the Coq towards the Sowaqua Creek FSR and taking a boot up there to see if i can't find my first big game animal, a black bear. i've bee religiously reading the threads here, and have learned a bunch. being the only hunter in my family, self teaching equals a steep learning curve. 3 seasons and nothing but a few grouse to my name.

from reading here, i've learned i want to glass south facing slopes with lots of greenery on them as well as the low draws where young plants may have started earlier. i should stay out until dark, since the bears don't seem to move until later in the evening. i'm better off coming up slowly to a cutblock and then walking up on it so as not to spook the bear with the truck. and i've picked up some tips on care of the critter after it's down including a tarp for dragging, bring lots of rope, a couple knives and such like that.

does anyone else have any last minute suggestions before i head up and see what i can find? i'll probably pass up the smaller bears, since i want my first big game animal to be a good sized critter and worthy of a rug or mount. i'm patient that way. :)

nomad
05-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Sowaqua does have some good bears but the cuts are generally older and well grown in so it gets tough to spot a bear in there! I've taken a couple out of there from last year and if you look hard you can and will find them! Some of the roads further up the coq. offer alot more. Any way you go Da' bears will be out. I've been seeing them in other areas from early morning till about 9:30am then from 2:00pm on. Good luck and don't forget your camera!

RJ
05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I was just up that FSR last weekend. More a scout/drive around than hunting. Made it to the 20km marker and turned around as there was a sign that said the gate is closed at 4:30. Saw a young bear and a few scattered piles of crap on the road. I would go up the Coq a bit further. Good luck!

zimbu
05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Look for south facing slopes with green grass along the valley bottoms.

FlyingHigh
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
thanks for the info so far folks. if you were going to head a bit further up the Coq, which side roads would you head up? is it a matter of just choosing one that heads up into the bush and going for a drive?