PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Trail Through the Muskeg

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
A couple weeks ago, I went on a rescue mission to help a friend with a brokedown Argo. This is a little look at the trail I had to bring parts out on. Still bits of snow in the bush, DEEP holes, and very tight spots for my Argo to get through. He was actually really lucky about where he broke down, there are so many trails throughout this area, he could have been hard to find. As it was, he broke down right at a place where many trails come togeather.
If you are into Argo type machines, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojHOzm4O1TM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XAN0SXUQE

I have been trying to limit my clips to 4.5 min or less, that seems to be a good length for people to watch.

RD

mijinkal
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Good thing your friend has a friend with an argo. I think that's the only thing that would have made it back there.
That looks like a great time! I'm shure we'd all like to have one of those things!

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
An Argo that broke down??? :shock: Gee, now I've heard it all!:roll:
I hate those machines with a passion, they are so unreliable. Having said that, they can get through some places that no other machine will, especially if you put tracks on it, you'll never have to winch again!

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
An Argo that broke down??? :shock: Gee, now I've heard it all!:roll:
I hate those machines with a passion, they are so unreliable. Having said that, they can get through some places that no other machine will, especially if you put tracks on it, you'll never have to winch again!

LOL, with a little bit of preventative maintenance they work just fine:wink:. I have well over 600hrs on this one, and the only time it was left in the bush was when I broke a front axle running in a few feet of snow, on Supertracks, in the winter, while hauling about 20 sheets of plywood.
I've found that most breakdowns have more to do with operator error or lack of maintenance than the machine itself.

RD

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
LOL, with a little bit of preventative maintenance they work just fine:wink:. I have well over 600hrs on this one, and the only time it was left in the bush was when I broke a front axle running in a few feet of snow, on Supertracks, in the winter, while hauling about 20 sheets of plywood.
I've found that most breakdowns have more to do with operator error or lack of maintenance than the machine itself.

RD

Wait until you start having problems with the electrical systems...it looks like you have a newer Argo, fuel injected and all that? I've always done a ton of regular maintenance, almost daily, with chains, bearings, fluids, etc. But this year the electrical system started failing, along with the O2 sensor, fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter. When that electrical stuff starts acting up in the bush, there's not a lot you can do.

It probably didn't help that I gave it a long soak this year... I thought Argos were suppose to float!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_2806.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_2807.jpg

05-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Iknow there is a story with that there Kootnay!

BiG Boar
05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
that isnt going to go well. Did she start right up?

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Iknow there is a story with that there Kootnay!

Yup, short story. Tried to cross a deep beaver channel and failed epicly! It lead to walking to and from camp 4 times through many swamps, to get tools and battery chargers, and took two days before I could get it running again :-?

05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Sooooooo. It dont float.

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Sooooooo. It dont float.

Well not when it tips sideways and starts filling with water... Anyway, didn't mean to hijack RD's thread, just wanted to share my passion for Argos ;)

05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Ya sorry Rock Dr. had to ask!
cant watch youtube on this computer.

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
LMAO, Nice Avenger, what yr is it, looks like a '09? I'd like to hear the story on that one as well.

Mine is a '04, no electronics, no EFI, no sensors ect. I like to keep it simple. I was with a friend that rolled his Argo, similar to your pics. He also had the ROPS system and we were hauling an old 30hp Yam OB up on top. It's amaizing just how little weight it takes up there to make them go over.

RD

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Well not when it tips sideways and starts filling with water... Anyway, didn't mean to hijack RD's thread, just wanted to share my passion for Argos ;)

Man, you guys are fast:-D

No problem, I like the discussion.

RD

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
LMAO, Nice Avenger, what yr is it, looks like a '09? I'd like to hear the story on that one as well.

Mine is a '04, no electronics, no EFI, no sensors ect. I like to keep it simple. I was with a friend that rolled his Argo, similar to your pics. He also had the ROPS system and we were hauling an old 30hp Yam OB up on top. It's amaizing just how little weight it takes up there to make them go over.

RD

Ya, sounds like your Argo is the way to go. These new ones rely too much on the electronics, and are damn hard to fix in the bush when things go wrong. Yup, its an '09. Does yours have the Kohler engine? I will admit that when they are running well, they are a very useful machine, great for hauling.
Ya, I had a bit of weight up top, not too much though. I went into to the channel with a bit of momentum and the track on the one side of the argo hit the bank at an angle and the machine went sideways and took on water, and then was laying at the bottom about 3 seconds later. It took myself and another guy 6 hours of pulling and levering until we could get it above the water line and start bailing water. Not to mention my gun, gps, tools, chainsaw etc were laying at the bottom of the 8ft channel for quite some time. Had to do alot of diving to retrieve gear. It was an adventure!

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Ya, sounds like your Argo is the way to go. These new ones rely too much on the electronics, and are damn hard to fix in the bush when things go wrong. Yup, its an '09. Does yours have the Kohler engine? I will admit that when they are running well, they are a very useful machine, great for hauling.
Ya, I had a bit of weight up top, not too much though. I went into to the channel with a bit of momentum and the track on the one side of the argo hit the bank at an angle and the machine went sideways and took on water, and then was laying at the bottom about 3 seconds later. It took myself and another guy 6 hours of pulling and levering until we could get it above the water line and start bailing water. Not to mention my gun, gps, tools, chainsaw etc were laying at the bottom of the 8ft channel for quite some time. Had to do alot of diving to retrieve gear. It was an adventure!

All Conquests have the 20hp Kawasaki Engine. Just enough power to do what you want, but not enough to hurt itself:-D. I'm actually contemplating changing it out for a 29hp, it's almost a drop in and go exchange. Couple simple mods, nothing major.

Where were you when that happened? It just LOOKS like a really cold place to go for a swim. Did you get everything back? The water looks very clear, but that wouldn't last long with you swimming in it, I bet.

RD

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
All Conquests have the 20hp Kawasaki Engine. Just enough power to do what you want, but not enough to hurt itself:-D. I'm actually contemplating changing it out for a 29hp, it's almost a drop in and go exchange. Couple simple mods, nothing major.

Where were you when that happened? It just LOOKS like a really cold place to go for a swim. Did you get everything back? The water looks very clear, but that wouldn't last long with you swimming in it, I bet.

RD

Oh ya, that sounds like a good idea.
This was in a fly-in bear hunting camp in northern Alberta, about 3 weeks ago. The water was shockingly cold! Haha. I could only stand to be in it for a minute or so before I had to run to the fire, and it was really disorienting when I had to dive to the bottom to tie ropes or look for my gps. I did manage to retrieve just about everything, apart from a few wrenches and such.

CSG
05-27-2010, 11:18 PM
what does a basic argo cost anyways?

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 11:32 PM
what does a basic argo cost anyways?

Too freaken much brand new. That one scuba diving in the frog pond was probably about a $22,000 dollar bill.

I think an 8x8 Frontier is about $15,000

I would lean away from the 6x6 models, they are a great toy, but won't haul near the load that an 8x8 will haul, not as stable in the water, rough riding, ect.

My advise would be, If you're thinking about an Argo, get a good used Conquest. Put a set of Frontier Tires on it, Mod the clutches a bit, put on a Front Pushbar, and rear Rack and your good to go.

RD

kootenayelkslayer
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Too freaken much brand new. That one scuba diving in the frog pond was probably about a $22,000 dollar bill.

RD

I think the submarine there was closer to $30,000, once loaded with the tracks, rollbars, winch, and bilge pump. You can get a nice truck for that much!

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I think the submarine there was closer to $30,000, once loaded with the tracks, rollbars, winch, and bilge pump. You can get a nice truck for that much!

Yes, I agree. I was thinking "Base Model" with no options except maybe a winch.
The tracks alone are $4,000 or more depending on what type you want.

SHACK
05-29-2010, 07:37 AM
The videos still dont do that trail justice! I am still picking mud out of my ears from two years ago, and every once in a while I still smell the muskeg.....gives me twitches and cold sweats thinking about it! ;) :)

303Brit
05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Nice Vids RD, we use to really enjooy the capabilities of the argo's we had when I was younger. They are definitely a tough machine.

wetcoastwillie
05-29-2010, 09:36 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_2806.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_2807.jpg

You can't park there!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Buck
05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
All my life i have wanted one of those thanks for the model info Rockdoctor

Jagermeister
05-29-2010, 10:19 AM
....................and every once in a while I still smell the muskeg.....gives me twitches and cold sweats thinking about it! ;) :)Muskeg Eau de Cologne is the smell of real men. What used to bother me was the loon shit that filtered through the pants and caked to the legs. Sorry RD, another hi-jack.

Rock Doctor
05-31-2010, 03:44 PM
The videos still dont do that trail justice! I am still picking mud out of my ears from two years ago, and every once in a while I still smell the muskeg.....gives me twitches and cold sweats thinking about it! ;) :)

You're welcome back anytime Sasha, I just returned from another trip out there with my girls (Wife was off Triathaloning down south someplace:)). Good trip, I might make a vid out of the pics and footage I got, maybe next week if I have time. Hope all is well with the prospective new daddy:-D. I have a great way to strap baby seats into Argo's, if you're wondering.

Muskeg Eau de Cologne is the smell of real men. What used to bother me was the loon shit that filtered through the pants and caked to the legs. Sorry RD, another hi-jack.

LOL, no problem, I hate that stuff too :-D

RD