PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a jetboat video

ryanb
05-26-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkn39Gev888

It's kind of long and boring because I haven't figured out how to edit it or add music yet, but its a start and the scenery can't be beat.

seatoskymiles
05-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Is that below or above the falls??

ryanb
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Just below the falls.

BiG Boar
05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Makes me want one. Just too bad they are so loud!

Johnny G1
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
What I would like to know , how much fuel did you burn up in 10 mins., I heard some figures last weekend and it blows me away at the cost of a jet.

ryanb
05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
In ten minutes, probably less than 1 gallon. The most efficient setting on my boat is around 3900 rpm with a medium load (for my boat, 2 grown people, 35 gallons of fuel and about 150 lbs gear), good for around 40 km/h and it gets me about 5 Gallons per hour fuel consumption. It's not that bad.

Lone Ranger
05-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Nice run, but it looks pretty shallow out there in spots eh! Lots of fun for for sure. LR

Barracuda
05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Makes me want one. Just too bad they are so loud!

I agree that most are pretty lound but not all.

A fourstroke outboard jet or a smaller properly muffled fourstroke inboard jet is pretty quiet.

Ours is really quiet

Rock Doctor
05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Nice place.

Ryan, you can quite that thing down with some "foam" inside the engine cover. I'm sure you mentioned it before, but I don't remember....What engine are you running it that boat?
What editing program are you using? I just switched over to "Cyberlink Power Director", Good program, with many options, easy to use, and only cost about 60$ for the download.

RD

tuchodi
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Nice looking run and good camera work nice and steady. What river does the green dump into at the end of the video?
Can you run that river later in the summer or does it get to skinny?

Kody94
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice vid! Like Rockdoctor's vids, it takes me back to when I was growing up. My Pa was a River Boat Instructor for the RCMP so we spent a lot of time on the river.

Thanks for sharing!

What camera were you using?

Re: software, I've been using Adobe Premier Elements for a while. Currently on version 7...8 has been out for a year or so, but I haven't upgraded yet. Anyhoo, for $99 or so, its pretty powerful software.

Cheers
4Ster

Hydrojet
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
nice video!...sounds like a sport jet of sorts. What brand of boat? most have the hull extrude past the transom....use a cresent wrench and trim that down a smidge to stop that bouncing (porposing) Beauty run though!

ryanb
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
The boat has a 200 optimax sportjet. It already has foam inside the engine doghouse, and in my mind it's not that loud, but you do still want to wear hearing protection. I can carry on a conversation with my passengers without yelling too too loud.

The camera is a panasonic lumix TS2, waterproof, shockproof, meproof, and takes great HD videos. Really a fantastic camera. http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/ts2_ft2/index.html
Right now, I don't have any editing software. I have been using the software that came with the camera which is very limited. Been looking at the different options for editing software.

As far as the porpoising, I do have a trim nozzle that will trim out the porpoising. But, since it's such a short boat, the sweet spot is very narrow, plus I like to have the nozzle trimmed up a bit so the reverse works better if I need it in a pinch.

Kody94
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
The camera is a panasonic lumix TS2, waterproof, shockproof, meproof, and takes great HD videos. Really a fantastic camera. http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/ts2_ft2/index.html
Right now, I don't have any editing software. I have been using the software that came with the camera which is very limited. Been looking at the different options for editing software.

I have a Lumix DMC-TZ7. The Lumix are great cameras, and do take surprisingly good video. My camera does not have all the "-proof"s, but it does have 12x zoom.

So, how did you take such steady video?

Hydrojet
05-27-2010, 03:52 PM
a little down on the hull extentions should give you a bigger sweet spot...like an 1/8" so your not constantly futzing with the nozzel...especially at cruise.....you just need more stern lift with the bow out of the water....you'll find the cruise smoother with the higher nozzel position that gives the better control......I am assuming it's a scott trim nozzel.

sparkes3
05-28-2010, 07:32 AM
great video, personally i hate it when people edit music over the sound of engine .