PDA

View Full Version : Skinning a Bear

BOOTS!
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Right, so with all these bruin photos, I'm curious about bear hunting. I always see bears when I'm out. Wouldn't be too hard to shoot one.

Could anyone walk me through the after shot care of a bear, to have a nice rug and not waste any meat.

frenchbar
05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
google up Skinning a bear ..you will find all the info ya need.

RayHill
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Bear Rug 101

1 Lay on back 2 cut from ass to chin middle of belly 3 make cuts down each leg as if the bear leg was your own leg cutting down the middle back calf from the ass to the heel. 4 Front legs cut from belly cut from the middle of shoulders up to paw wrest joint. look at your own arm to see where the cut should be. follow cut line arm pit inside biceps inside for arm to inside wrist. Don't cut the paws just up to wrist. 5 Saw off at wrist joints all four legs. Saw off head . Don't cut the hide with the saw. 6 Take hide into Taxidermy to get the paws and head skinned out for your first one.

BOOTS!
05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
google up Skinning a bear ..you will find all the info ya need.

I tried this, but when i put in "skin" and "bear" all I got was this

http://pictures.deadlycomputer.com/d/32441-2/Pedo+bear.png

bigwhiteys
05-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Bahahahaha..........

I feel sorry for you... http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm <--------- Should Help... You've got a sense of humor... You'll need it digging into a stinky, greasy, wormy bear. They come apart pretty easy, no saw required. Just know how and where to use your knife!

Carl

bc_buckshot
05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
PM me and I will walk you through. I bet you by now I can do it with my eyes closed

vortex hunter
07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
skinned my first bear june 15 it was easy watch youtube it works lol

buckwild76
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
hey boots, check out the video "chilliwack bear" (3parts) on you tube it may not be the absolute best way but it's how i do it. BTW i only videoed the gutting not the skinning but it still may help you out. my suggestion would be to read and watch as much about the subject as you can and arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can swallow, then when the time comes for the dirty work just take your time and get in there, the best way to learn is hands on experience and remember there is no such thing as a mistake as long as you learn from it. Good luck to ya!

FishBC.org
07-29-2010, 04:30 PM
If you get a fall bear prepare for ALOT of fat on it, like huge chunks and if it's super hot out expect all that fat to start melting and get greasy.. It was rather funny when my 500 LB bear broke the rope just after taking the skin off and a man sized carcass of melting fat fell on my buddy and pinned him on the ground slathering him in grease and I couldn't help but laugh so hard, that he had to lay there pinned under this stinking carcass for at least 5 minutes. His new designer clothes were pretty ruined.
Once the skin is off a bear carcass from a distance looks suprisingly like a human corpse..

It's not super hard really to skin one. Take the other fella's advice and double check on google. There are complete diagrams. Be careful not to scrape the fat too close or you'll have a few small holes.

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 04:44 PM
One thing to remember, always cut UP through the hide. By that I mean try to avoid cutting through the hair. Hair will dull your knife real quick. If you open an area up, be it the stomach or a limb. Turn the knife on it's back and push up through the skin. Once open a little, whittle away at the fatty areas avoiding the hair as best you can.

JDR
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
This vid is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDKZ8J66Uaw

srupp
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
one tip..4 Fingers WIDTH towards the BELLY fom the ANUS is teh coorect line for cutting the down the back legs..makes for BEST use of the hide and best "layout" steven