PDA

View Full Version : Charged By Mamma Bear Today!!

.308win
05-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Picture it!.......May 25, 2010. Somewhere in the wilderness of BC, The day started out like any other work day, get to the job site, put on the bush gear, and off to work we go!! My work partner, was doing some SP work and I was going to paint some falling boundary and ribbon a few creeks. I decided to paint the boundary first, after about 2hrs of painting I'm back on the road, heading down to the next start point, I get ~20m off the road and hear something in front of me.....can't see it but can hear it......Deer?.....Moose?....nope, Bear. Ok no big deal, been here in this situation before, make a little noise and should head off, worked before!.......WRONG!!!! I make a whistle, all goes quite for about 30sec.......Then i hear it.....clapping of the teeth and a loud lip flapping blow!!!!......instantly I realize.....Crap.....Sow and cubs!!!! Right away I see 2 little fur balls run up a tree about 30yrds to my right, then right in front of me Mamma makes a bluff charge, I yell at her.....Get atta here....Go!!! She bluff charges me again....... Get atta here....Go!!! This time she charges straight at me........lucky for me I had a 14inch Fir tree that I was standing behind......she came right at me....stopping on other side of the tree slapping her paw on the tree just missing my knee by mear inches........by now she is literally a tree width from me......right away I thing......paint can.....I hold it out and give a blast of orange paint to the eyes.......instantly she jumps back about 2ft.....again I'm yelling....Get atta here....Go!!! She gives me another lip flapping blow, The paint spray most have give her a good scare, cause I did this 3 more times and each time she would move back a little further!! Finally she was back under the tree with her babies! After what seem like a life time the little ones came down and moved off, when they were in mamma's safe zone she also moved on!! I kept watching her until I felt safe enough to move out myself.......at that point I got outa there faster then the wind!!! I have had Bear incounters before....but this was the worst!!! Just happy it turned out the way it did!!! All this took place in about a 5-10 min span!! Thanks for sitting in and reading.....sorry if it's a little on the long read!!

Perry

frenchbar
05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
did ya crap your pants:mrgreen::wink: ......glad your ok .

OutWest
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
That'll get the heart beating. Glad you made it out unscathed!

Jonesy
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Glad you're safe and sound.....helluva story for the grandkids :)

knighthunter
05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
So, how high was the pucker factor?

RiverOtter
05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
And here I thought I had a bad day, cause a bear put 4 tooth holes in my falling gas/oil jug over the week-end..............Grin

Good to hear you got away without any tooth/claw marks.......

.308win
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Lucklly.......Didn't happen!!!!:mrgreen:

So, how high was the pucker factor?

Actually belive it or not.....while the whole thing was going down I didn't get to scared.......It happen so fast that fear didn't enter my mind!! But after about 10min after the deal.......It started to sink in what had just happened......then I started shaking like a leaf!!!!:icon_frow

Perry

TyTy
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
No mace?!?!?

DevilDog77
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
glad to hear you okay. Pretty cool experiance none the less? Hopefully the last time!

bigwhiteys
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by frenchbar http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=682544#post682544)
[quote]

ahhh.... Defacation in one's pants... The first human survival instinct.. lol.

Glad to hear you made it out okay!

BimmerBob
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Now that is one for the memory banks, you are sure not to forget an encounter like that. Good thinking on the spray paint in the face, glad you got home safe!

srupp
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Well you certainly had an eventful day after the long weekend...you did everything right..not just cuz your still here but reading your account..staying calm ,,, talking with the bear...keepinga tree, bike, etc between you..using what you had with you..spray paint in this case....well done..its these events that NEED to be published for others to lern from the good the bad and the ugly...your is the good kind..

Think of what you would have felt like IF this was a MOMMA GRIZZLY..hmmm make her 600 pounds..with 2 juvinile delinquient teenage THUGS for kids...and oh ya make her over 8 feet...lol...it CAN and does get worse...but no one was injured in the making of this story...hmmmm bear pepper on your buying list??:wink:

cheers and well done

Srupp

Sunny
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
glad to hear you're ok

moosinaround
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Happy to hear of the outcome!! I have been there done that myself!! It got me shaking for sure. Had to feed one lead a few years back, was a big boar though!! Moosin

300win
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
good on yah, for keeping your head. Thanks for the story glad everything worked out fine!!!!

.308win
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Think of what you would have felt like IF this was a MOMMA GRIZZLY..hmmm make her 600 pounds..with 2 juvinile delinquient teenage THUGS for kids...and oh ya make her over 8 feet...lol...it CAN and does get worse...but no one was injured in the making of this story...hmmmm bear pepper on your buying list??:wink:

cheers and well done

Srupp

Thanks for the well wishes guys!! Apperciated!!!.....Srupp.....if this were the case(Happy it wasn't) Bodily functions would have been lost!!!!!!:icon_frow:mrgreen:

Perry

Rattler
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Perry,

Wow great story! Glad your ok and good thinking using the spray paint.

bad arrow
05-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Glad you're ok, bear spray would have come in handy at a time like that.

Sasquatch
05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Glad you (and the bear) came out unscathed. Nice to know paint works so well on a charging bear

.308win
05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Honestly.....when it all first went down, I don't think I would have had enough time to get the Bear spray out if i had it.....It just so happen that I had the paint in my hand the whole time. It was nothing short of amazing how frigin fast she went from 30yrds away to setting right at my feet. There's no doubt in my mind that she decided to let me walk away! And that I'm happy for!!!

Perry

rollingrock
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
That's why I always bring an extra set of clothes including underwear. I just can't stand being charged by a bear.

Brambles
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Gets the blood flowin don't it:mrgreen: Shoulda let her bite you, then you could have been on the T.V.:wink:

Glad to hear you got out unscathed

B

killman
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Gets the blood flowin don't it:mrgreen: Shoulda let her bite you, then you could have been on the T.V.:wink:

B

LOL why is that so funny?:mrgreen:

peashooter
05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
here i've been carrying 45 dollar bear spray. guess i'm off to canadian tire for some 6 dollar florescent orange.

Timbow
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Good for you keeping a cool head.

It's funny when people question you about things such as bear mace. I been in your shoes when working in the timber and somethings like that happen so fast that you don't have time. Years ago doing SP work east of Barkerville, my partner and I ran into a young boar grizzly that gave us a false charge. We both had bear mace but the charge came unexpected and unseen until it was too late. Luckily the bear stopped and backed off. Too close for my liking.

After that encounter I bought a Winchester defender and it went every where I went.

BromBones
05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, it coulda been worse.

You might have been sleeping peacefully in your tent, and, well, you know.;)

Definitely gets the blood pumping. I've had a few old sows express their disapproval towards me. Not fun.

moose2
05-26-2010, 03:31 AM
She should be easy to identify if she hassels anyone else. (With her bright orange face)

hunter1947
05-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Nice to hear all worked out well at the end for both sides ,this is an ordeal that you will never forget and thats what hunting is all about..

boxhitch
05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Glad things worked out OK.

here i've been carrying 45 dollar bear spray. guess i'm off to canadian tire for some 6 dollar florescent orange.Great idea. You never hear of anyone practicing with $40 bear spray, but everyone seems to know how to use a paint can. And the bear is marked as trouble.
Just need to fashion a quik draw holster that fits the can

snowhunter
05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
And if you use your "Bic" lighter in a hurry, you can turn a spray paint into a flame thrower as well :)

The chemicals in the spraycan will hurt any eyes and noses.

BiG Boar
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
How did you describe the bear to the CO? "Well sir, you're looking for a flourecent orange bear!" You'll know if you found the right one.

Camp Cook
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
and some people ask/wonder why I go thru all the hoops and hurdles to carry a handgun when working solo in remote wilderness areas...

Mind if I bring you along next time someone asks... :mrgreen:

Jelvis
05-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey 308 did you bring any shit paper or at least get a job writing stories lol you can spin a mean charge lol ...
Good story that one's made for, "What Happened To Me" or "Beleive it or NOT?" lol...
Jel .. be careful out there bring your 308 next time of course next time could be a grizzly hey...now there's a story I want to hear next.. good writin by .308 sounded very realistic 4 sure ..
It felt like it was really real.

05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Go out and buy yourself a lotto ticket cuzzz son........ your one lucky son of a bitch!

bigben
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Unreal glad your okay .............can of paint went a long way may of worked better with pepper spray.........hope it doesn t happen again .....

demlake
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Were you tempted to reach out and hang some ribbon around her neck too?

:-D

I've never had an encounter with a bear. But if it ever happens, now I'll get the paint out first, then try and get the bear mace out of the inside vest pocket.

Glad everything turned out well.

kennyj
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
That was pretty exciting.
kenny

dana
05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you still have your voice? ;) I think you said it was a pleasure working with a quiet Dana after my close bear encounter last year. :) Definately good to see the orange paint works as a bear defender.

As for those who question why no bear spray, I personally have taken 2 different people to the hospital over the years because of accidental punctures of the canister of bear spray. After seeing how much pain they were in, I choose not to pack it unless I'm seeing lots of grizzly sign.

308Lover
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
You did all the right things.Standing your ground was paramount. Trees and paint can helped.
Glad momma is still around to raise her cubs. Well done.

Jelvis
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
There's only one thing worse than getting charged by a black bear no, not a grizzly..
.............My wife, Charging everything ................ > on our debit card < ..
That is a shocker when you see Charge after Charge ...
jel ... she charges everything ...

Rattler
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Do you still have your voice? ;) I think you said it was a pleasure working with a quiet Dana after my close bear encounter last year. :) Definately good to see the orange paint works as a bear defender.

As for those who question why no bear spray, I personally have taken 2 different people to the hospital over the years because of accidental punctures of the canister of bear spray. After seeing how much pain they were in, I choose not to pack it unless I'm seeing lots of grizzly sign. When you wear the same vest for years, with all the holes and rips, last thing a guy wants is to slip on some talus and have that bear spray erupt all over ya.

Bear spray is very potent and just the slightest whiff will leave you coughing for hours. I once had my bear mace fall out my vest and I accidentally stepped on it with my caulk boots....I just heard the spray and ran like the wind for at least 100m. I was very lucky I didn't get a face full of mace:eek: I do carry bear mace though, because I have seen it work effectively on black bears. I also carry a large buck knife wrapped with hockey tape for better grip.

dana
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
A good dull cruising axe is my weapon of choice. ;)

gitnadoix
05-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I was told a story by a bear attack survivor who always carried a side arm hidden inside his coat in a shoulder holster for just such an occasion. When asked if he had gotten any shots off during the attack his answer was.

"not only did I not get any shots off, I forgot I even owned a gun much less that I actually had one with me."

.308win
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Do you still have your voice? ;) I think you said it was a pleasure working with a quiet Dana after my close bear encounter last year.

HaHa!!....Yep still got my voice!........Although I was thinking...."Wonder if this is how Dana felt last spring!!??":mrgreen:

Perry

wolverine
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Holy Crap! That's a religious experience isn't it? I've been real close but not quite that close before. When the adrenaline catches up with you a few minutes later it kind makes you wanna puke doesn't it? For sure wobbly in the knees. Good to hear you made out okay. Maybe a can of bears spray wouldn't be such a bad idea this time of year?

zimbu
05-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Whew. Good story. Glad you're OK. I guess momma bear doesn't care for tremclad mascara?:mrgreen:

.308win
05-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Holy Crap! That's a religious experience isn't it? I've been real close but not quite that close before. When the adrenaline catches up with you a few minutes later it kind makes you wanna puke doesn't it? For sure wobbly in the knees. Good to hear you made out okay. Maybe a can of bears spray wouldn't be such a bad idea this time of year?

You goter buddy!!! Before I've ....."BEEN THERE, DONE THAT".....You can say all you want........After being in "THE SITUATION"......It wouldn't have mattered if I had a sub-machine gun......that mamma Bear was on me so fast that Billy the Kid couldn't draw fast enough to do anything against her!!!......Mace!.......44, 357mag......pistle grip pump.....it would not have mattered.......I truly belive that the only thing that saved me, was the fact that I had that paint can in my hand!! Only those that have seen or been where I've been know what I'm saying!!! My story takes mins to read........REMEMBER....The first 3mins of reading of my story happened lesss then 1min in real life time!!!.......Between the time Mamma stoped at the tree and I spayed her........SHE LET ME GO!!!! ......And that I'm happy for!!!

Perry

Schutzen
05-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Perry
Glad u didn't land up as pics an a story on the Blackies hunting site! LOL
Good on u for handling it well and coming out unharmed.
Cheers

landphil
05-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Glad it ended well, but are you sure she wasn't just looking for a hug, or a scratch behind the ears? :mrgreen:

Walksalot
05-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Kind of makes a God fearing man out of you. The maternal instinct of any mom protecting her young is a force to be reckoned with.
I too have been there! It mattered none if I was carrying a side arm or a long gun there was no time to do anything it happened so fast. Until one sees it first hand you have no idea how quick they can move.

.308win
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Glad it ended well, but are you sure she wasn't just looking for a hug, or a scratch behind the ears? :mrgreen:

HAHA!!......Yep...pretty sure there was nothing WARM and FUZZY about our meeting!!!!:mrgreen::wink:

Perry

Jelvis
05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
When you hear the sound of the clack clack of the mother bears teeth snapping and see the explosive power and here deep powerful growls you finally realize a man is quite fragile in the wilds and urban areas when wild animals attack!
Jel bin dare dun dat ... When wild animals attack men women and children ... It's savage

steepNdeep
05-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Good adrenaline rush, huh... who needs extreme sports. :D

Next time, if you want the 'rush' to end (without sprayin' her) just back outta there slowly (while she's warning you). Mama black bears rarely make contact and usually bluff... Once the threat is removed, she'll mellow out, take her cubs, & let you clean your pants. :wink:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3948506286_e7a2d83023_o.jpg