PDA

View Full Version : Bear Gall Bladder

Andrew Dawe
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know why the possession of bear gall bladders is illegal? I understand it may be intended to reduce poaching; however, if a poacher is going to poach a bear for the gall bladder, isn't he going to poach the bear whether he is allowed to possess the gall bladder or not?

It seems to me that it does less to discourage poaching than it does to take away from legitimate hunters using the whole bear.

Shooter Jr.
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that it has to do with with some Chinese medicine. I heard there was a big problem with bears being poached just for their gull bladder.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong though.

RiverOtter
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
No law against taking a bear home in the round....

If you bought a tag, shot a bear, hauled it home whole, then gutted and consumed the gall bladder, I can't see that you'd be breaking any law. You wanna start drying them and storing a bunch in the cuphoard, that'd be another story).

Heck, you could even whip up a pot of bear paw soup to put your old lady in the mood.........:mrgreen:

blackwater moose
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
the gall bladder is used as an aphrodisiac as well as a number of other medicinal cures. to possess the gall bladder with a bear is not illegal, however to possess gall bladders without the bear is considered poaching

Jordo
05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Heck, you could even whip up a pot of bear paw soup to put your old lady in the mood.........:mrgreen:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats awsome!

RJ
05-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Apparently you have to get rid of the gall with the gut pile, either in the bush or at home

from the regs

To protect grizzly and black bears, the BC
government imposed a ban on the com-
mercial trade in certain bear parts effective
February 1, 1993 which continues to be an
important step toward reducing the illegal
killing of these animals. Many jurisdictions in
western North America have similar bans in
place.

The BC regulation forbids the possession,
trafficking, importing and exporting of bear
galls, including any part or derivative of the gall
bladder, and genitalia. It also bans importing,
exporting or trafficking in bear paws separated
from the carcass or hide, although possession
of bear paws is still permitted to allow for
personal and ceremonial use.

Hunters are not committing an offense
if they remove the gall bladder from the
carcass and leave the gall bladder at the kill
site, or, if they move the bear from the kill
site and they, within 48 hours, dispose of the
gut pile including the gall bladder.

srupp
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
hmmmm I have made it a point of opening the bear up...and slicing open the gall bladder..leaving it still attatched..but letting all the bile escape onto the ground...

That way no one can come later and harvest the gall bladder...and I dont have it in my possession coming out with the hide , meat, skull..

Steven

duckhunt
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
some sort of traditional male enhancement remedy. :wink:

303carbine
05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
hmmmm I have made it a point of opening the bear up...and slicing open the gall bladder..leaving it still attatched..but letting all the bile escape onto the ground...

That way no one can come later and harvest the gall bladder...and I dont have it in my possession coming out with the hide , meat, skull..

Steven

Back in the day when I actively hunted bears we gutted it and ran the knife through the gall while it was still attached to the liver. The cutting of the gall was the last thing done as I didn't want any of the gall juice getting on the bear meat. I guess that's why the crows around a bear kill have such so many little ones!!!1:mrgreen:

bighornbob
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know why the possession of bear gall bladders is illegal? I understand it may be intended to reduce poaching; however, if a poacher is going to poach a bear for the gall bladder, isn't he going to poach the bear whether he is allowed to possess the gall bladder or not?

It seems to me that it does less to discourage poaching than it does to take away from legitimate hunters using the whole bear.

Possessing gall bladders was made illegal becuase it was almost impossible to tell if the gall bladders were taken from legally taken bears or paoched bears.

Think about it a CO stops a guy with 3 galls and the guy says they are from my two bears I shot and one from my buddies (all legally taken). The guy then sells them. Then shoots a couple more bears and goes to sell them again using the same bear tags. This could go on for a whole season.

I am sure it was just easier to completely ban them (since they are only used in Chinese medication)then trying to come up with a sort of tag system for the parts.

BHB

Steeleco
05-25-2010, 10:59 PM
We've had a few threads about bear galls in the almost 7 years of HBC. Many ideas about hunters handing them over to the CO's have been bantered. But obviously there is still to date no right answer??

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
I always thought that if it was legal to sell galls, then legitimate hunters coudl supply enough galls to limit poaching. BAnning stuff rarely works well...I think heroin is banned and that isn't so tough to find in Vancouver...

That being said, I've never bothered to muck around with galls, I don't have any use for them..they look gross, too.

Kevin So
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM

I always thought that if it was legal to sell galls, then legitimate hunters coudl supply enough galls to limit poaching. BAnning stuff rarely works well...I think heroin is banned and that isn't so tough to find in Vancouver...

That being said, I've never bothered to muck around with galls, I don't have any use for them..they look gross, too.

I agree with Gatehouse and Andrew on this as the regulation doesn't really discourage poaching. As a matter of fact I think if a legit hunter harvested a bear, why would they not allow to use as much of the bear as they should? If they don't want the gall, they can make it available to the people that wants it, or the department can collect them from legit hunters (with proof of harvest) and sell them off to make some funding for conservation efforts so there is no need to poach.

You won't find a gall bladder on my dinner plate, but if you can buy liquor legally, there is no need to bootleg right? hmmmmm

city hunter
05-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that it has to do with with some Chinese medicine. I heard there was a big problem with bears being poached just for their gull bladder.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong though.
you are 100% right.

GrandA
05-26-2010, 12:56 AM
where is the gall bladder - !? I harvested a bear this year and we had no clue what we were looking for

hunter1947
05-26-2010, 05:08 AM
If the gall does work to heal then why should we not be able to hand them in to a location where they can take them off our hands for free rather then let them go to roat ???? ,If they can help heal people why not use the galls for medecin ???? ,I know I would hand over the blatter if it was going to be used for healing ..

huntwriter
05-26-2010, 06:05 AM

You're right but gall bladders are not only used in Chinese medicine. Many cultures, even some in Europe use them and not only from bears.

Poaching bears is a huge problem. Currently right here in Region 3 the CO's are kept busy by a large and top end equipped bear poaching ring. I am told by the CO that it cost thousands of dollars each day to investigate that gang.

I much rather would support a law where hunters were able to deposit bear gall bladders with the government and they in turn could sell it. The money generated should go back into wildlife conservation. There are so many legal bears killed each year that the market could be flooded with bear gall, making it not profitable anymore for poachers.

It's the same with the ivory in Africa. The governments there spend millions to store tons of ivory in heavily guarded air-conditioned bunkers only to burn the stuff every ten years. If there would be a law to sell it those same government would make millions of dollars and flood the market.

It puzzles me why governments think that they can change the customs and culture of other nations just by outlawing certain things, rather than legally cater to it and make money from it, instead of spending millions on something that will never work.

huntwriter
05-26-2010, 06:10 AM
where is the gall bladder - !? I harvested a bear this year and we had no clue what we were looking for

It's a white-yellowish looking bag attached on the inside of the liver.

boxhitch
05-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Clear enough. By banning the parts completely, then there is no questioning whether posession is legit or not. Its wrong no matter where they are found, even if it is on a street corner.
And by not collecting and creating a commerce, the Gov't stays clear of putting any value to the parts. No value, no interest.
But not everyone follows with the sentiment, or poaching for $$$ wouldn't be a problem.

Steeleco
05-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I days gone by I've been offered some good money for a fresh one. Working with a once large workforce the cultural mix was vast. Once someone found out I hunt bears, the offers were regularly made. These were guys I'd worked with for many years, normal mainstream working stiffs. So if they were interested, the underground demand must be HUGE?

FTR, the little purple bags were ALWAYS left for the birds.

SHACK
05-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I days gone by I've been offered some good money for a fresh one. Working with a once large workforce the cultural mix was vast. Once someone found out I hunt bears, the offers were regularly made. These were guys I'd worked with for many years, normal mainstream working stiffs. So if they were interested, the underground demand must be HUGE?

FTR, the little purple bags were ALWAYS left for the birds.

Same here, and I agree with the demand. Once people found out you hunted bears, the offers would start flying in, from average guys wanting to get thier hands on them. I can only emagine what kind of demand winds up being satisfied by people who can afford the black market prices for such an item! I do find it completely sickening, and would never be part of such a crock though, and more often than not I wound up tearing a strip off of anyone who had the "gall" to ask me!!

pete_k
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Possessing gall bladders was made illegal becuase it was almost impossible to tell if the gall bladders were taken from legally taken bears or paoched bears.

Think about it a CO stops a guy with 3 galls and the guy says they are from my two bears I shot and one from my buddies (all legally taken). The guy then sells them. Then shoots a couple more bears and goes to sell them again using the same bear tags. This could go on for a whole season.

I am sure it was just easier to completely ban them (since they are only used in Chinese medication)then trying to come up with a sort of tag system for the parts.

BHB

That's my take on it too.

Walking Buffalo
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
To clear up some misconceptions regarding the medicinal use of bear gall bladders/bile.

The bile is NOT used as an aphrodesiac.
Bear bile is used as a traditional medicine by cultures across the northern hemispere.

http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/5/1/2

Clinical indications

In traditional clinical practice, bear bile was used in fever fighting, detoxification, inflammation, swelling and pain reduction. It was also used in the cure of carbuncle of heat type, pyocutaneous diseases, hemorrhoid, overabundance of liver-fire, convulsion caused by the overabundance of heat, epilepsy, tic, and redness of eyes due to liver heat etc

Pharmacological study of bear bile

Modern pharmacological research showed that bear bile has the following pharmacological actions: (1) antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect, (2) anti-hepatotoxic effect, (3) choleretic lithagogic effect, (4) anti-liver fibrosis, anti-tumor, anti-pyretic and sedative effect, (5) anti-convulsant and analgesic effect, (6) lowering lipid and hypotensive effect, (7) anti-tussive and anti-asthmatic effect, (8 improving eyesight, (9) anti-stress and relaxing effect

Clinical study of bear bile

Since bear bile has a wide range of pharmacological actions with little toxicological side effect, it is now being used clinically for curing hepatic and biliary disorders, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disorders, pulmonary disorders, and ophthalmological disorders, while the pure compound derived from bear bile, UDCA, is widely used for hepatic and biliary disorders (also see 5.3 Scientific research). Bear bile as well as its Chinese Medicine formulae could also be applied to diabetes, nephritis, chincough, hemorrhoids, chronic hepatitis B induced jaundice, and falling sickness, etc.

J_T
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM

BHBYup, it's unfortunate. It sort of goes against the premise of using the entire animal. Bringing out all the 'edible' parts etc.

huntwriter
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
To clear up some misconceptions regarding the medicinal use of bear gall bladders/bile.

The bile is NOT used as an aphrodesiac.
Bear bile is used as a traditional medicine by cultures across the northern hemispere.

http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/5/1/2

Clinical indications

In traditional clinical practice, bear bile was used in fever fighting, detoxification, inflammation, swelling and pain reduction. It was also used in the cure of carbuncle of heat type, pyocutaneous diseases, hemorrhoid, overabundance of liver-fire, convulsion caused by the overabundance of heat, epilepsy, tic, and redness of eyes due to liver heat etc

Pharmacological study of bear bile

Modern pharmacological research showed that bear bile has the following pharmacological actions: (1) antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect, (2) anti-hepatotoxic effect, (3) choleretic lithagogic effect, (4) anti-liver fibrosis, anti-tumor, anti-pyretic and sedative effect, (5) anti-convulsant and analgesic effect, (6) lowering lipid and hypotensive effect, (7) anti-tussive and anti-asthmatic effect, (8 improving eyesight, (9) anti-stress and relaxing effect

Clinical study of bear bile

Since bear bile has a wide range of pharmacological actions with little toxicological side effect, it is now being used clinically for curing hepatic and biliary disorders, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disorders, pulmonary disorders, and ophthalmological disorders, while the pure compound derived from bear bile, UDCA, is widely used for hepatic and biliary disorders (also see 5.3 Scientific research). Bear bile as well as its Chinese Medicine formulae could also be applied to diabetes, nephritis, chincough, hemorrhoids, chronic hepatitis B induced jaundice, and falling sickness, etc.

Just for general information. The above stated medical facts are valuable for bile of all animal species. My father, the owner of a large slaughterhouse and meat processing plant, used to sell bile, glads and reproduction organs of pigs and beef to the pharmaceutical industry. It made enough money to pay the wages for all staff, over 160 people.

Unfortunately, most of these natural ingredients have been replaced with synthetic ingredients. My father, like many butchers, suffered from painful arthritis and the only thing that helped him to make the pain bearable was bile and unlike modern medicine it didn't have any of the nasty side effects that are often worse then the illness they should cure.

wolverine
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I guess the drug companies figure there's more money and availability in the chemical type of drugs to bother with the more effective natural type of medicine. It's all about the bottom line. However, that being said, can you imagine the shite fit PETA would have if they thought that galls of any animals were being used? Maybe they should go natural and tell the PETA types "Well our tests on the bunnies show hardly any nasty side effects".:mrgreen:

gitnadoix
05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I there was legal possesion of these gall bladders you would have people hunting who only wanted the gall bladder, they would take the bear carcass home to satisfy the legal requirement to get it to their residence then it would be dumped at some latter date. So there would be a much higher harvest rate of the animal.

If you make a legal market then its easy to slide illegal product into it from the side......so simple solve it all by making it un-posessable. Much like any bad drugs.....if there was a legal excuse for having a pound of coke how many gangs would use that loophole.....

Jelvis
05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Bladders and what not, I guess when dried and ground worth many bucks but agin the law so I have a question.
.... Who would have the gall to do that?
jel .. that takes a lot of gall ... to do that and should not be done A tall ..

huntwriter
05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
I there was legal possesion of these gall bladders you would have people hunting who only wanted the gall bladder, they would take the bear carcass home to satisfy the legal requirement to get it to their residence then it would be dumped at some latter date. So there would be a much higher harvest rate of the animal.

If you make a legal market then its easy to slide illegal product into it from the side......so simple solve it all by making it un-posessable. Much like any bad drugs.....if there was a legal excuse for having a pound of coke how many gangs would use that loophole.....

Actually drug related crime would go right down if drugs where legal. In the European countries where drugs were legalized is no drug related crime. Prohibition does not work because it encourages crime, prove of that is evident during the alcohol prohibition in the USA. It was that event
that made the Mafia very powerful.

The same is with bear gall bladders. If it where made legal and hunters could deposit the bladders with a government agency that then in turn sells them there would be no reason to go and poach bears. In fact poaching would become to expensive since the government could flood the market. It sure would be better than try to change 1,000 year old traditions, especially since such traditions have proven time and again to work.

The argument that hunters only would kill bears for their gall bladders is an assumption and we should not make laws based on assumptions. I can imagine that there are a few hunters that kill bears only for the fur, giving the meat away or dispose of it at a later date. So should we make a law that prevents us from taking the hide out of the bush?

Chuck
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Jokingly....Do you know why the Panda is such a rare and endangered species?

Because Pandas eat bamboo sprouts and must compete with 5 billion Chinese, who also eat bamboo sprouts!

Mind you, the Chinese won't turn their noses up to a little Panda meat with their bamboo sprouts either. Hahahahahahahahah.......................

Walking Buffalo
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Just for general information. The above stated medical facts are valuable for bile of all animal species. My father, the owner of a large slaughterhouse and meat processing plant, used to sell bile, glads and reproduction organs of pigs and beef to the pharmaceutical industry. It made enough money to pay the wages for all staff, over 160 people.

Unfortunately, most of these natural ingredients have been replaced with synthetic ingredients. My father, like many butchers, suffered from painful arthritis and the only thing that helped him to make the pain bearable was bile and unlike modern medicine it didn't have any of the nasty side effects that are often worse then the illness they should cure.

I have also seen the superior positive effects that natural medicines have over synthetic derivatives.

Regarding the specific medicinal attributes of Bear Bile;
"Bears are the only mammals to produce significant amounts of the bile acid tauro ursodeoxycholic or UDCA (3 alpha, 7 beta-dihydroxy-5 beta-cholan-24-oic acid). The Giant Panda is the only exception to this rule in that it produces no UDCA, and anecdotal evidence suggests this is the only bear species not hunted specifically for its gall bladder."

I also agree with Huntwriter's opinion regarding the effects of prohibition.
While it is likely impossible to eliminate the poaching of bears for their gall bladder, allowing the use of gall bladders from legally harvested bears will fill some of the market, as well as decriminalize the use of this natural medicine by traditional healers.

Pharmacutical companies really don't like the prospect that people can obtain effective and often superior medicine by going to nature's drugstore rather than their's.

abolt
05-30-2010, 02:45 PM

X2. It pushes the price up so it kind of promotes poaching in a way.

huntwriter
06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Pharmacutical companies really don't like the prospect that people can obtain effective and often superior medicine by going to nature's drugstore rather than their's.

Lol. I could tell you a story of a doctor in America talking for almost over an hour to me why I should take pharmaceutical products instead of natural products. The jest of a long story is that he tried to convince me that it is safer to take pharmaceutical products and that right after he warned me about the side effects of the pills he wanted to give me. I might add that in America all Doctors and Hospitals are either owned by the pharmaceutical industry or work for them on commission. Hence the pill popping frency.

The Dawg
06-27-2010, 11:59 PM
some sort of traditional male enhancement remedy. :wink:

It's TRUE! I've taken them Bear Gall bladders many times with amazing results!

A friend of mine recently asked me, " Can you get it over the counter?"
to which I replied, " I can if I take three!" :wink: