PDA

View Full Version : What Taxidermist did You use & thumbs up or down list.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Well guys I've heard alot of people say that this taxidermist is good and that one is junk. Im interested in finding out your opinions on who's good and who to look out for. Im mainly interested in the lower mainland area such as hope to vancouver but others are welcome. Im also interested in the type of mount and the final price of the take home product. Oh pictures dont hurt either to see their work first hand.

First on my hit list is the one I used in vancouver and im sure you've heard of them.

Also now keep in mind this thread isn't for bashing people on here and their opinions just to find out the service/quality of local taxidermists work that they had done. Saying that this is the one I used.

1. Kulash Steve Taxidermy Ltd
3977 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 1Y7 604-437-4656

Now I used them for my very first taxidermist work on a little bear I took and it was my first trip out with my wife in an area that you can no longer hunt so it meant some thing to us.

I would give that company a big stay away and here's why.

When I dropped it off I was told I was the first bear of the season in and it would take them 6 months to do and they will call me when it's done and the price is 199.99 a liner foot. Sounds good no problem we picked out colors and told him a full rug with head.

I also had them do my skull and had them skin it for me on the spot as it was my first and didn't want to screw up. So any who the total price was $1300 for every thing, not bad I think.

So 6 months pass and I dont hear nothing, I call and no answer so I keep on trying to call for the next 6 months till finally I get some one and ask them about my bear. They say it's not ready and give me a sob story about their tanner screwed them over first off that's not the customers problem, second and this ones touchy they just lost their father to a house fire, which I new because I read the news on this website and in the paper, and dont get me wrong I understand and feel for their loss, so i gave them more time and patience.

Then I asked them to work with me a bit on price as I've been trying to get a hold of them for the last 6 months and was told it will be done 6 months ago and it's still not done. He yelled at me that it's business and he wouldn't do any thing for me. So I told him to stop what he's done and I'll come pick up the un finished product and he said no you wont you will pay for it all before pick up when it's done. I told him im on my way now to pick it up and he told me he would put a lien on it and I said like you said this is business and im coming to take care of my business. I told him to work with me on price to make his customer happy and comfortable with this crappy situation or I would ensure it's noted who and how they work. Any who he said he'll call me back after he crunches numbers and he did, he called me back a week later yep I know a week, and said it's almost done, and then a week after that, it's ready and he gave me 10% off which worked out to $200 ish off.

Well seemed good so i went to see the work they did and first off the bear skull was no were near as good as the skulls I do and im not a taxidermist. And the bear rug ya what can I say its ok but for sure not what I expected just seems like it's been beat to sh*T or to long in a tumbler. You would think they would at least with the skull secure the lower jaw either shut or open and it would be at least nice and white or some what white, but nope none of the above it's puke yellow/ish and the jaw is almost split in half at the front teeth and separate from skull simple fix I would know I've fixed them I made a post in the past about doing a skull and my finished product.

Sorry for the long story still kinda pissed and will not use them again.

budismyhorse
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
.........no offence, but I don't think we should be going down this road on this website.

you are talking about peoples livelihood here. There are always two sides to every story...........just my opinion.

are we really going to start calling out businesses like this?

srupp
05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
hmmmm good to know...I too had a problem with taxidermist..one tried to pawn off a 5 foot bear for a 7'2" bear I had dropped off..did see him in court..I won..with photos..etc

Second was on my first cali sheep..HIDEOUS..keep it , to remind me what Shit looks like...

But all in all with over 2 dozen animals taken to various taxidermists been pretty damn happy...

Best whitetail Maarco ..Red Deer Alberta..best sheep...SO FAR ...Jack Gibson....with a stone sheep due back in June..hopefully Harley White will take over top spot..best bears..a couple do exellent work..Steven Rutherford..150 mile house has done my last 2 bears..very pleased..Jack Gibson also did my blacktail deer..not all taxidermists do each and every game animal the same..some just seem to have that special understanding of 1 or 2 top animals..

But there is never a reason for rudeness, incompetence, dishonesty..

Hmmm if someone is doing "funny stuff" or has a habit of disapearing yes I do want to know about it..I cant make a decision on who to entrust my trophies to based on information I dont have...everyone is entitled to their oppinion..helps me make up my mind...good or bad..I did come here to this site for references on TOP NOTCH taxidermists for my one in a lifetime stone sheep..it was put forward several top names...of which I made my decision from that list of suggested names...2 names were sent to me to 'stay clear of " and a short reason why ...I listened and made my mind up..but the insite did help me in that decision.

srr

cheers
Steven

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
None taken, I think all should know about certain business's, products and services it's our right to know. And you are right it's peoples lively hood and our money so it's our lively hood as well. I just told you the two sides to the story their side and my side I have no need to lie about what they said and what I said just telling you the facts dont care about lies or fiction just good quality service were I/we dont get ripped off.

And I think for sure we should as im in need of a good, quality taxidermy business and im one of many others looking for such. Also what better place to seach for one then to go to those who use them which is right here.

.........no offence, but I don't think we should be going down this road on this website.

you are talking about peoples livelihood here. There are always two sides to every story...........just my opinion.

are we really going to start calling out businesses like this?

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Well guys I've heard alot of people say that this taxidermist is good and that one is junk. Im interested in finding out your opinions on who's good and who to look out for. Im mainly interested in the lower mainland area such as hope to vancouver but others are welcome. Im also interested in the type of mount and the final price of the take home product. Oh pictures dont hurt either to see their work first hand.

First on my hit list is the one I used in vancouver and im sure you've heard of them.

Also now keep in mind this thread isn't for bashing people on here and their opinions just to find out the service/quality of local taxidermists work that they had done. Saying that this is the one I used.

Now I used them for my very first taxidermist work on a little bear I took and it was my first trip out with my wife in an area that you can no longer hunt so it meant some thing to us.

When I dropped it off I was told I was the first bear of the season in and it would take them 6 months to do and they will call me when it's done and the price is 199.99 a liner foot. Sounds good no problem we picked out colors and told him a full rug with head.

I also had them do my skull and had them skin it for me on the spot as it was my first and didn't want to screw up. So any who the total price was $1300 for every thing, not bad I think.

So 6 months pass and I dont hear nothing, I call and no answer so I keep on trying to call for the next 6 months till finally I get some one and ask them about my bear. They say it's not ready and give me a sob story about their tanner screwed them over first off that's not the customers problem, second and this ones touchy they just lost their father to a house fire, which I new because I read the news on this website and in the paper, and dont get me wrong I understand and feel for their loss, so i gave them more time and patience.

Then I asked them to work with me a bit on price as I've been trying to get a hold of them for the last 6 months and was told it will be done 6 months ago and it's still not done. He yelled at me that it's business and he wouldn't do any thing for me. So I told him to stop what he's done and I'll come pick up the un finished product and he said no you wont you will pay for it all before pick up when it's done. I told him im on my way now to pick it up and he told me he would put a lien on it and I said like you said this is business and im coming to take care of my business. I told him to work with me on price to make his customer happy and comfortable with this crappy situation or I would ensure it's noted who and how they work. Any who he said he'll call me back after he crunches numbers and he did, he called me back a week later yep I know a week, and said it's almost done, and then a week after that, it's ready and he gave me 10% off which worked out to $200 ish off.

Well seemed good so i went to see the work they did and first off the bear skull was no were near as good as the skulls I do and im not a taxidermist. And the bear rug ya what can I say its ok but for sure not what I expected just seems like it's been beat to sh*T or to long in a tumbler. You would think they would at least with the skull secure the lower jaw either shut or open and it would be at least nice and white or some what white, but nope none of the above it's puke yellow/ish and the jaw is almost split in half at the front teeth and separate from skull simple fix I would know I've fixed them I made a post in the past about doing a skull and my finished product.

I bet he knocked 10% off just to get rid of you. I'm sure that even if you tried to take him business again, he'd refuse. Actually, if I was a taxidermist in Vancouver reading this thread, I'd be on the phone to Kulash taxidermy to get your name to ensure that I *didn't* take on any business from you!!

Sometimes just the tannery takes longer than 6 months to get the hide back to the taxidermist. Most peopel that deal with taxidermists and tanneries understand that patience is needed. A year isn't terribly out of the ordinary sometimes.

In this case, he told you that the tanner took longer and was beyond his control, told you that they had a family tragedy, but you still feel entitled to chisel the guy down....unreal.

Camp Cook
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
If someone is getting screwed around by any business that I may use I would completely appreciate a heads up so that I do not run the same risk of getting poor quality workmanship/service as well.

I couldn't care less if it is someones lively hood or not it is their responsibility to always go above and beyond for their customers that is how they keep their customers and have a successful business otherwise they shouldn't be in business.

d6dan
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Sometimes just the tannery takes longer than 6 months to get the hide back to the taxidermist. Most people that deal with taxidermists and tanneries understand that patience is needed. A year isn't terribly out of the ordinary sometimes.

I waited over 2 years for a shoulder mount and thought It was too long, but the end result was Good!.. :wink:. I'd rather it take time and be done right than too quickly and turn out shitty..:neutral:

budismyhorse
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
well, my opinion is that you aren't showing much compasion to a man who lost his father not 2 months ago.........If I was that man, I'd still be picking up the pieces of my life after losing my dad, Not only that, what about the BS that goes along with insurance claims, estate settlements, repairs to the shop and so forth.

and you are worried that your bear skull is yellowish?

muledeercrazy
05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
More than likely this thread will be locked down, i have some firsthand experience with this on HBC. It seems that it is fine to say someone offers good service, or does high quality work. On the other hand, if you say something negative about a business you are sticking your kneck out. I honestly believe that if you had a legitimate problem and ended up unhappy you should be able to share your concerns with other resident hunters. If not, then what is the difference between an online forum and a outdoors magazine, that have sold their souls to advertisers. I know first hand that taxidermy takes time, but you dont promise to do the work in 6 months unless you can.. And you certainly dont promise a new customer that you can do this, and not at least explain that the time could easily double. I would think an extra month or two would be more than enough to deal with a family tradjedy, unless you were going to shut the business down for good.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I think you forgot to read how I wrote this post isn't about putting down people on this site it's about finding a good taxidermist but thanks for your opinion duly noted. I'm sure after 6 months he's got a phone to call his customers and let me/them know it's delayed not just not call at all but it's your opinion and that's your right. Good on ya. "that's how you do business I guess :-D"

I bet he knocked 10% off just to get rid of you. I'm sure that even if you tried to take him business again, he'd refuse.

Sometimes just the tannery takes longer than 6 months to get the hide back to the taxidermist. Most peopel that deal with taxidermists and tanneries understand that patience is needed. A year isn't terribly out of the ordinary sometimes.

In this case, he told you that the tanner took longer and was beyond his control, told you that they had a family tragedy, but you still feel entitled to chisel the guy down....unreal.

budismyhorse
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
More than likely this thread will be locked down, i have some firsthand experience with this on HBC. It seems that it is fine to say someone offers good service, or does high quality work. On the other hand, if you say something negative about a business you are sticking your kneck out. I honestly believe that if you had a legitimate problem an ended up unhappy you should be able to share your concerns with other resident hunters. If not, then what is the difference between an online forum and a outdoors magazine, that have sold their souls to advertisers.

keep that to your own bitchfest around the campfire. When someone doesn't have the ability to defend themselves, it is wrong to put it out there on a public forum.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I waited over 2 years for a shoulder mount and thought It was too long, but the end result was Good!.. :wink:. I'd rather it take time and be done right than too quickly and turn out shitty..:neutral:

Absoulutely if I was told 2 years no prob i'll wait as long as the end result was what I expected no prob. I was told I was first of the season and 6 months just leting the facts show my reponse and expectations. Im sure you know what I mean.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
They say there are two sides to every story and considering that this is your version of the story and I would still side with the taxidermist....does that tell you anything?????:?

SSS

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
More than likely this thread will be locked down, i have some firsthand experience with this on HBC. It seems that it is fine to say someone offers good service, or does high quality work. On the other hand, if you say something negative about a business you are sticking your kneck out. I honestly believe that if you had a legitimate problem an ended up unhappy you should be able to share your concerns with other resident hunters. If not, then what is the difference between an online forum and a outdoors magazine, that have sold their souls to advertisers.

I haven't locked it yet..

Keep in mind there is a difference between a legitimate business concern and someone ranting because they didn't get thier way or that they felt entitled to a discount but didn't get it etc...

Basically, if you are going to have negative comments about a business, you should be able to clearly articulate exactly what the issue is, and you should be able to defend your position from scruitiny.

If it's just a rant, forget it, we don't need it here.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I think you missed what I wrote it's ok though, thats why people hire staff to run a business when things go sour in the family after all it's a business right? who drives the business last time I checked it was your customers. We help run all the petrocans in the lower mainland im sure I do understand about personal problems and keeping a business running with out to many complicaitons. Thanks though for your opinion duly noted.

well, my opinion is that you aren't showing much compasion to a man who lost his father not 2 months ago.........If I was that man, I'd still be picking up the pieces of my life after losing my dad, Not only that, what about the BS that goes along with insurance claims, estate settlements, repairs to the shop and so forth.

and you are worried that your bear skull is yellowish?

muledeercrazy
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
keep that to your own bitchfest around the campfire. When someone doesn't have the ability to defend themselves, it is wrong to put it out there on a public forum.

no its not. If they want to defend themselves, join the site and put in some feed back. Thats what happened when i mentioned i wasnt happy with a butcher on vancouver island. It seems it is perfectly acceptable to slag wss, island outfitters, and so on.. But not ok to say you had a negative experience with someone who is a critical part of many of our hunting experiences?
My question to you is as follows... All taxidermists in B.C. provide excellent service and there is no reason to prefer one above another? Because i know first hand of several taxidermists that have caused there customers alot of grief. One was on the lower island and many here will be familiar with his name.

In the spirit of the thread, Lagoon Taxidermy in Colwood is run by Terry and does great work.

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I think you forgot to read how I wrote this post isn't about putting down people on this site it's about finding a good taxidermist but thanks for your opinion duly noted.

If it is really about "finding a good taxidermist" then why didn't you just put up a thread inquiring about good taxidermists in the lower mainland? Your post has almost nothing to do with that subject and virtually everything to do with a negative rant.

You feel that you have been wronged by not getting a phone call by a man who tragically lost his father recently. I agree a phone call woudl have been nice, but I rareley recall having lots of communication from a taxidermist or tannery until the job was complete, which makes me think you haven't dealt with many...

BiG Boar
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I think it is fine to use a public forum to voice our complaints or our praises. It may hurt some taxidermists however I think if someone does poor work or lies about time frames they should be held accountable. Would you have any trouble raising a complaint about a lieing mechanic or some one who ripped you off? I doubt it....

I would love to hear who to steer clear of. So far I have used 2 taxidermists. Ganders and Ray weins. Both in the lower mainland. Both do great work. I get a quote from both and go to whoever gives me the best price. I have switched back and forth. One complaint I have is that ganders is slower by far. However they are busy because they have a big customer base because they have been in business for many many years and have been very consistent over the years. Ray on the other hand does great work and gets your stuff back to you in under a year. I had a grizz rug done by Ray and wanted something changed after it was done. I thought I wanted it one way but after seeing it I wanted it another way. A couple weeks later it was done and the changes were perfect. I don't think too many guys would pull something apart and fix it like that so I say he is great!

open-sights
They say there are two sides to every story and considering that this is your version of the story and I would still side with the taxidermist....does that tell you anything?????:?

SSS
Very well said SSS, X2

NoLimit99
Wow Read the post have no need to lie, or stretch the truth told as it happened but your right in your mind and I wont change that. Thanks for your opinion to, Now can we get back to what this post is intended on please?

SSS

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
LOL why do you think I started this post....lol thanks come again

If it is really about "finding a good taxidermist" then why didn't you just put up a thread inquiring about good taxidermists in the lower mainland? Your post has almost nothing to do with that subject and virtually everything to do with a negative rant.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear possitives duly noted and might check them out. Keep them coming still needing pricing on your work though.

I think it is fine to use a public forum to voice our complaints or our praises. It may hurt some taxidermists however I think if someone does poor work or lies about time frames they should be held accountable. Would you have any trouble raising a complaint about a lieing mechanic or some one who ripped you off? I doubt it....

I would love to hear who to steer clear of. So far I have used 2 taxidermists. Ganders and Ray weins. Both in the lower mainland. Both do great work. I get a quote from both and go to whoever gives me the best price. I have switched back and forth. One complaint I have is that ganders is slower by far. However they are busy because they have a big customer base because they have been in business for many many years and have been very consistent over the years. Ray on the other hand does great work and gets your stuff back to you in under a year. I had a grizz rug done by Ray and wanted something changed after it was done. I thought I wanted it one way but after seeing it I wanted it another way. A couple weeks later it was done and the changes were perfect. I don't think too many guys would pull something apart and fix it like that so I say he is great!

budismyhorse
05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
no its not. If they want to defend themselves, join the site and put in some feed back. Thats what happened when i mentioned i wasnt happy with a butcher on vancouver island. It seems it is perfectly acceptable to slag wss, island outfitters, and so on.. But not ok to say you had a negative experience with someone who is a critical part of many of our hunting experiences?
My question to you is as follows... All taxidermists in B.C. provide excellent service and there is no reason to prefer one above another? Because i know first hand of several taxidermists that have caused there customers alot of grief. One was on the lower island and many here will be familiar with his name.

In the spirit of the thread, Lagoon Taxidermy in Colwood is run by Terry and does great work.

My answer to you is:

attempting to seperate taxidermists or any business owner is fine, however, blasting one over one particular situation is quite another.

my opinion is just that: do we really want to go down that road? I could post story after story about things that have happened to me or my friends.........but I'd rather do it in the privacy of my own fire pit.

I don't care if guys want to use this website to bitch and complain when they feel they have been wronged...........however as a member of this site I have the right to comment right back. I stated my opinion thats it. I didn't pursue it.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Opinion noted thanks still looking for what I originally posted for though can we get back to that...

My answer to you is:

attempting to seperate taxidermists or any business owner is fine, however, blasting one over one particular situation is quite another.

my opinion is just that: do we really want to go down that road? I could post story after story about things that have happened to me or my friends.........but I'd rather do it in the privacy of my own fire pit.

I don't care if guys want to use this website to bitch and complain when they feel they have been wronged...........however as a member of this site I have the right to comment right back. I stated my opinion thats it. I didn't pursue it.

muledeercrazy
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
My answer to you is:

I hear ya. I appreciate that this thread has been allowed to run its course, as well. I just tend to disagree with you. I think that if the person who complains or is critical is in the wrong, it will be brought out. I think we can all agree that one year to get a bear rug back is not out of line, but telling a new customer that they can expect to have it back in 6 months is.

My friends most likely allready know what taxidermist, or butcher i will be using. So talking about it to them doesnt really do anyone any good.

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 12:51 PM
LOL why do you think I started this post....lol thanks come again

You started this thread to rant. That's pretty clear.

Mik
05-25-2010, 12:51 PM

When a business says you will have it in 6 months, then by golly you should have it in 6 months! I agree with NL99 in that he gave plenty of time; note 6 months plus an extra 6 months and then more patience,time and understanding! in no way was he out of line to simply ask!

Usually at that point, when a customer asks for there trophy back, one would lose the "deposit" and deposit only. (waited for over a year)

Now, credit due, the taxidermist did give 10% discount, but it sure sounds like there was "no love" put into the mount!

As for other taxidermists calling Steve to find out a name.....man thats just plain, ignorant,outright vendictive and in no-way is that to run a business!!

IMO: This site is exactly for this kind of "information" be it good or bad and by no means should this thread be closed. (I guess we could all hide behind a PM so as not to hurt anyone's feelings!)

BTW: i know its not anywhere near the LML, but i use "Shuswap River Taxidermy" in Cherryville and he does awesome work.

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Actually, it's pretty common for other companies in the same business to share information about problem/unreasonable customers.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Good to hear about that taxidermist as I hunt down there and my first white tail will be done for sure, will check them out. Big thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

When a business says you will have it in 6 months, then by golly you should have it in 6 months! I agree with NL99 in that he gave plenty of time; note 6 months plus an extra 6 months and then more patience,time and understanding! in no way was he out of line to simply ask!

Usually at that point, when a customer asks for there trophy back, one would lose the "deposit" and deposit only. (waited for over a year)

Now, credit due, the taxidermist did give 10% discount, but it sure sounds like there was "no love" put into the mount!

As for other taxidermists calling Steve to find out a name.....man thats just plain, ignorant,outright vendictive and in no-way is that to run a business!!

IMO: This site is exactly for this kind of "information" be it good or bad and by no means should this thread be closed. (I guess we could all hide behind a PM so as not to hurt anyone's feelings!)

BTW: i know its not anywhere near the LML, but i use "Shuswap River Taxidermy" in Cherryville and he does awesome work.

Blainer
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.ganderstaxidermy.com/ (http://www.ganderstaxidermy.com/)
and note Ray Wiens also has pictures posted on this site and is a sponsor of HBC.

muledeercrazy
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
true. but there seems to be a very fine line between a customer who expects good customer service that is as promised, and a problem customer. Too bad there is no way of having an anonymous poll to rate butchers and taxidermists.. that way you could get your two cents in and not have it turn into a pissing contest.

i meant to quote what gatehouse said about the sharing of info on problem customers.............

BigBanger
05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I love the bold lettering you use, makes you seem so strong.

d6dan
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Absoulutely if I was told 2 years no prob i'll wait as long as the end result was what I expected no prob. I was told I was first of the season and 6 months just leting the facts show my reponse and expectations. Im sure you know what I mean.

Wow, this thread is a Cruising!!. Anyway, I don't think Taxidermist should give timelines because its beyond their control what happens at the tanneries. But now you know what to expect..Stuff happens sometimes beyond "our" control and we deal with it.?. There is some Good taxidermist on this site that I never knew about 2 yrs ago, but will consider for my next mount(s).:wink:

hunter1947
05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Terry Lagoon Tax Victoria BC #1. ,I have never used any others.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
So far no ones said any thing about them so two things either no ones used them or people are worried about posting about them, either way dont care just want to know if my money and trophy could be trusted with them if so post up to get them noticed or keep quite and i'll know why. Either way thanks.

and note Ray Wiens also has pictures posted on this site and is a sponsor of HBC.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Good to hear im sure people in your area are happy to hear that taxdermy has been noted.

Terry Lagoon Tax Victoria BC #1. ,No others haver been used.

muledeercrazy
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Terry Lagoon Tax Victoria BC #1. ,I have never used any others.

definetly, Terry is a great guy. If you are on the lower island i would give him some serious consideration!

d6dan
05-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Here,No limit99, chew on this for awhile...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45746&highlight=taxidermist

BiG Boar
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Timeline is important in getting a trophy back. Some guys its like 2 or 3 years. Wait till youre waiting for something out of the country! Then you cant even drop in to pay a visit! And forget about filing a complaint!

Sitkaspruce
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
So 6 months pass and I dont hear nothing, I call and no answer so I keep on trying to call for the next 6 months till finally I get some one and ask them about my bear.

This line kills me:mrgreen:. If it was me (and you are not) I would be on their door step trying to find out what is up, not calling and calling and calling. And forget the excuse for the travel distance. If you really want to find out, go to the source, especially when you have a lot of $$$ tied up in something.

Glad to hear possitives duly noted and might check them out. Keep them coming still needing pricing on your work though.

Why are you so worried about price. If you get a good recommendation for a lifetime trophy, who cares about the $$$, unless it is unreasonable. Do the research yourself and ask on here about certain ones. The bashing one and looking for others is the wrong way to go about finding the "right" one.

At least that is how I do business......:wink:

Cheers

SS

d6dan
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I've have mounts done all over BC by various Taxidermist. The theory to this was, you would find out who's good and who's crappy. I have 1 mount that I don't like, but I know now not to get his attention again. Some are slow and some are fast, but thats usually the nature of the business. My oldest is 1982 and its holding up fine..something to consider when looking for a taxidermist?:wink:

bigwhiteys
05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I bet he knocked 10% off just to get rid of you. I'm sure that even if you tried to take him business again, he'd refuse. Actually, if I was a taxidermist in Vancouver reading this thread, I'd be on the phone to Kulash taxidermy to get your name to ensure that I *didn't* take on any business from you!!

And to top it off, you stated the guy skinned/caped out the bear for you on the spot!

Carl

Jetboater
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
if it takes 2 years to get an animal back that will be on my walls for a lifetime that is worth it to me...

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Your funny would you pay 3000 for a bear rug when every one else is charging 1300 for the same.... you answer that I wont bash no one.... would like the recommendation on a good taxy though. Any who telling how it is taking my bumps and moving on. Thanks for your opinion.

Why are you so worried about price. If you get a good recommendation for a lifetime trophy, who cares about the $$$, unless it is unreasonable. Do the research yourself and ask on here about certain ones. The bashing one and looking for others is the wrong way to go about finding the "right" one.

At least that is how I do business......:wink:

Cheers

SS

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Would agree as long as it was what I was told and agreed upon called business and a contract to.

if it takes 2 years to get an animal back that will be on my walls for a lifetime that is worth it to me...

Jetboater
05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Ive had a lot of animals take a lot longer than what it should have and it never made a difference... the ones that are done isn 6 months are typically poorly done... wet tans or pickles will always look like trash in a few years....

05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I have read a bit of this thread but not all,

I think in this specific case i would side with the taxi. He first had trouble wuth the tannery and his dad died. If you came at me looking for less money a couple months after my dad died you would be posting something worse about me.

As for the "bashing" companies online part. I fully aggree with it. I worked sales for 7 years and have seen it all. If the company gave bad service it gets a bad rep. (i dont think so in this case).
This is definatly not the only online source for searching opinion on which busness is good or bad there are millions of places to go for this.

This is a hunting site. We come here for information and opinion. If a taxi does crappy work it should be posted. If he does good work it should be posted. The taxi should be doing the best he can for his reputation. If he cant keep a good reputation, tough.

The original poster to this gave his point in such a way you can see both sides. In this case i agree with the taxidermist.

Sorry Nolimit99 i hope you do find what your lookin for

bigwhiteys
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
As a business owner I handle a customers problem as follows:

1. Try to find an ammicable solution (usually would NEVER involve a reduction in price)... If that doesn't work...

2. FULL REFUND and they can find someone else to work with. Then they can have nothing bad to say...

Sounds to me like the guy was gung ho beginning of the season, then life threw some shitty curveballs. I woulda let the guy have some time... If I were him, I woulda gave you the cape along with a bill for storage and caping.

Carl

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
This post isn't about what you would do it's about locating a good taxidermy and posting who, what and were they are located and the product you got done.

That way others can find a good taxidermy near them that they are proud of going to and is fair to deal with.

Any others have good ones to post up in the lower mainland that they would recommend. Still haven't seen any examples nore the price of the final product so others can get an example of what it would cost to have a trophy/memory captured to remember years down the road and be proud of.

Phil
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
As others have stated, the price is not that important to me within reason. I feel as though I am paying an artist to work his magic on my trophy. If I like his work I have no problem letting him keep it as long as it takes and paying for it. In the end It'll be on my wall or floor for years to come.

If it is pricing you are after why not make a few phone calls and speak to the taxidermist. This gives you an opportunity to learn a little about the artist and get a feel for his expectations and him yours. The cheapest quote doesn't always get my work.

I am curious though, now that we know who you don't like as a taxidermist, who do you like? What other ones have you used?

Ambush
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Most any taxi will e-mail you a standard price list. Something extra special will cost something extra.
Look for quality first, then decide if it's worth it to you. Don't bargain him down and he won't cut corners on your mount.

My prefered taxi is in PG. Magestic Taxidermy.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
No one said it was about price so not sure who said it was? think you should read the post again. And to answer the last question, again read the post it's about finding one. Im sure you can figure the answer to that question out by your self cheers.

As others have stated, the price is not that important to me within reason. I feel as though I am paying an artist to work his magic on my trophy. If I like his work I have no problem letting him keep it as long as it takes and paying for it. In the end It'll be on my wall or floor for years to come.

If it is pricing you are after why not make a few phone calls and speak to the taxidermist. This gives you an opportunity to learn a little about the artist and get a feel for his expectations and him yours. The cheapest quote doesn't always get my work.

I am curious though, now that we know who you don't like as a taxidermist, who do you like? What other ones have you used?

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
It's not about bargaining him down it's about business as the guy stated it was about. Hit him with what he hit me with but that's not the point to this post. Was told the price and accepted it, no biggy was told the time and accepted it, no biggy saw his whole room of his work saw quality no biggy check list done and was worth it. Just call and let me know more time is needed no biggy. No corners were cut he already had it back from the tannery and the rest was mounting it, he had more then 6 months & 2 weeks extra to get the job done with quality behind it, that's just how it is and went down. Accepted what happen and now looking for another taxidermist.

Now lets get back to what the original post is intended for. Any other taxidermist to check out who's worth the time and money and worthy based on what you have had done from them?.

Most any taxi will e-mail you a standard price list. Something extra special will cost something extra.
Look for quality first, then decide if it's worth it to you. Don't bargain him down and he won't cut corners on your mount.

My prefered taxi is in PG. Magestic Taxidermy.

chappy
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
i often think good smiths and taxis arn't nessasarly the best buisness people. i usually take there time quote with a grain of salt. most are small operations and time quotes are difficult. for me make sure its right the first time, give me what we agreed on at a competative price and call when your done.

IslandHunterBXL
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I wish i had something worth mounting so i would have the problem of deciding which taxi to use lol. Has anyone gotten an elk shoulder mount done? whats a ballpark price for that?

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Well said and totally agreed.

i often think good smiths and taxis arn't nessasarly the best buisness people. i usually take there time quote with a grain of salt. most are small operations and time quotes are difficult. for me make sure its right the first time, give me what we agreed on at a competative price and call when your done.

bighornbob
05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Many good taxidermists out there and many bad ones.

Seen more then few animals posted on here that looked horrible but the guys that posted the pics and the owner of the animal loved them. I Guess its in the eye of the beholder.

When looking for a taxidermist make sure the guy has done a few of the animals you want to mount. A lot of guys can mount up an awesome mule deer as they probably get 20 a year, but may only get a mountain sheep every few years. Like the old saying goes "Practise makes perfect". So make sure the guy you are looking at has done a few of the animals you want mounted.

That being said Harley White in Westbank gets my business. Usually has the stuff done within a year and does great work. He is more expensive then some of the guys out there, but I have no problem spending the money as I know it will look the best and last a lifetime.

BHB

happyhunter
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Since three quarters of your post is about why you wouldnt use one particular guy it shouldnt surprise you that people are commenting on that part and rather than the first bit where you ask about who we would use. You also commented yourself that no one was putting a price in their posts. Well is it about price to you, time, quality? Its all important, least of all I would say is time.
My chocolate black from last spring I brought to a local taxi. I was told about six months and I got the skull back in less then two. I called them after 8 months and they said the hide was still at the tannery. My buddies told be its pretty normal for these things to take longer then they say. Basicly its done when its done. Took about a year but I got it back and I am happy with the bear. They never called me, that would have been nice if they did but I understand they are busy, no time to make phone calls all day. And when the mans father died, you really think its so easy to just find another taxi to bring in just cus its a business and thats how business keeps going? Its a pretty specialized field of work, it isnt a wallmart.
Ill agree with you on one point. When they tell you it will be 6 months, it should be 6 months or they let you know thats just a rough estimate. But for the rest, I think you were unreasonable, and kinda heartless.

yamadirt 426
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
This was a good thread untill some panties got bunched up. Maybe Gate could clean it up and remove the bullshite posts including this one and his own as they are way off topic. Good try anyhow NL99. I think its important topic as im looking to do my first mount this year, I am local and i dont want the run around like yourself. If they say 6mons and it takes a year i don't give a rats ass what happened you have someone call everyone on the list and let them know what is up period !! Bad service !! Who wouldn't understand the situation, just friggin pick up the phone. Even if it was 200 people its not hard to do.

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
This was a good thread untill some panties got bunched up. Maybe Gate could clean it up and remove the bullshite posts including this one and his own as they are way off topic. Good try anyhow NL99. I think its important topic as im looking to do my first mount this year, I am local and i dont want the run around like yourself.

If the actual topic was about finding a good taxidermist,then the very first post on this thread wasn't on topic.:tongue:

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
If you say so but opinion noted and added to the rest of the pile.

Since three quarters of your post is about why you wouldnt use one particular guy it shouldnt surprise you that people are commenting on that part and rather than the first bit where you ask about who we would use. You also commented yourself that no one was putting a price in their posts. Well is it about price to you, time, quality? Its all important, least of all I would say is time.
My chocolate black from last spring I brought to a local taxi. I was told about six months and I got the skull back in less then two. I called them after 8 months and they said the hide was still at the tannery. My buddies told be its pretty normal for these things to take longer then they say. Basicly its done when its done. Took about a year but I got it back and I am happy with the bear. They never called me, that would have been nice if they did but I understand they are busy, no time to make phone calls all day. And when the mans father died, you really think its so easy to just find another taxi to bring in just cus its a business and thats how business keeps going? Its a pretty specialized field of work, it isnt a wallmart.
Ill agree with you on one point. When they tell you it will be 6 months, it should be 6 months or they let you know thats just a rough estimate. But for the rest, I think you were unreasonable, and kinda heartless.

BCBear
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
I value service too, my taxi has always been willing to teach me certain skills for the field as well as show me other techniques for making things the best they can be. Time with the customer goes along way in my book. Ray Wiens is the only taxidermist I've used...if it ain't broke no need to fix it. Both his domestic and foreign species work are really superb.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I hear ya glad to hear as they are pretty close to me and I just checked out his pics/quality of work very impressive....think I might have found my next taxy might have to drop by and check his work out first hand.... thanks for the input very refreshing to hear some one is worthy of our hard earned money.

I value service too, my taxi has always been willing to teach me certain skills for the field as well as show me other techniques for making things the best they can be. Time with the customer goes along way in my book. Ray Wiens is the only taxidermist I've used...if it ain't broke no need to fix it. Both his domestic and foreign species work are really superb.

Blainer
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
So far no ones said any thing about them so two things either no ones used them or people are worried about posting about them, either way dont care just want to know if my money and trophy could be trusted with them if so post up to get them noticed or keep quite and i'll know why. Either way thanks.

and note Ray Wiens also has pictures posted on this site and is a sponsor of HBC.I posted the above note about 2 reputable taxidermists that have extensive pictures/showrooms for you to view and form your own opinion.
Do you really need your hand held?
This was in response to your request for a new taxidermist,not a promotion for a taxidermist.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Take it as you wish, your bit*ch I mean opinion noted and added to the mounting pile of ausome opinions. Thanks for yours, noted.

I posted the above note about 2 reputable taxidermists that have extensive pictures/showrooms for you to view and form your own opinion.
Do you really need your hand held?
This was in response to your request for a new taxidermist,not a promotion for a taxidermist.

Blainer
05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Take it as a wish, bit*ch noted and added to the mounting pile of ausome opinions. Thanks for yours, noted.
I noted that you started a thread with virtually the same request in Feb/09 and had members recommend Ray Wiens previous to ever harvesting the bear.
Apparently the advice fell on deaf ears?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31437 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31437) :confused:

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Wasn't availabile at time, before you judge, know your facts. Come again leave the bs at the door.

I noted that you started a thread with virtually the same request in Feb/09 and had members recommend Ray Wiens previous to ever harvesting the bear.
Apparently the advice fell on deaf ears?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31437 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31437) :confused:

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Too bad the word r.e.t.a.r.d. is blocked on this site. 'Cause I'd like to say "immature ******."

Phil
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
No one said it was about price so not sure who said it was? think you should read the post again. And to answer the last question, again read the post it's about finding one. Im sure you can figure the answer to that question out by your self cheers.

I was trying to be helpfull and shed a positive light on this conundrum of bullshit that you insist is not a bashing of one taxidermist. My reply was not only to you but for the benefit of others who are reading this thread. With a smart ass response like that you can go piss up the rope you swung down on. I doubt any reputable taxi will even want you in his shop after reading this. Your best bet now is to go to Chapters and buy a how to book cause I won't recomend anyone to you.

NoLimit99
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Dont get all sensitive on me I was just saying read the post tiss all.

I was trying to be helpfull and shed a positive light on this conundrum of bullshit that you insist is not a bashing of one taxidermist. My reply was not only to you but for the benefit of others who are reading this thread. With a smart ass response like that you can go piss up the rope you swung down on. I doubt any reputable taxi will even want you in his shop after reading this. Your best bet now is to go to Chapters and buy a how to book cause I won't recomend anyone to you.

dana
05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I've never had a bad taxidermist. Why? Because I do my research. I choose top notch taxidermists because I want my once in a lifetime critters to last more than a lifetime. It is not only a memory hanging on the wall, it is art work and it is a herloom. I want my great grandkids to still be enjoying the mounts long after I'm gone.

Here is a Harley White mount, 18 years after Harley did the work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Jan23040a.jpg

Here is a Neimyer mount.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Jan23055a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Jan23056a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Jan23076a.jpg

Here is a Ray Wiens mount.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/May252010036.jpg

NaStY
05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
For the record, I am the one closing this useless thread......