PDA

View Full Version : Hang on/Climbing Tree Stand

rollingrock
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
I bought two of these stands from the States with an incredible deal. The stands were very well made and look solid. Tonight I tested one of the stands in my back yard around a cedar. The only thing makes me itchy are the straps, which look kinda 'thin'. The stand is rated for 300 lbs, theoriotically good enough even for Gatehouse :-D....but I'm not sure. Any opinions on those straps?

Ambush
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Might need a wee bit more info to offer an opinion.

rollingrock
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Might need a wee bit more info to offer an opinion.

What type of info do you need?

Ambush
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
What type of info do you need?
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a make, model or pic. And hang-on and climbers are different.

rollingrock
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
How about this photo? Well, I think I did mix climbers up with hang-ons.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/158967m2_ts.jpg

Ambush
05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
If it says 300 lbs, then it's good for more. Some people switch up to chains if it will stay out in the sun and weather, but the straps are quieter and strong enough.
How big is the platform? Weight? Cost to your door?

rollingrock
05-25-2010, 05:24 AM
18x251/2" platform, welded seam
18 lbs
$30 US each brand new

Had them shipped to the border. Then I went down and picked them up. Paid taxes at customs (very minimal...)

CanuckShooter
05-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Buy a good safety harness, and wear it always..

...personally I wouldn't trust my life&limb to nylon straps.

Ambush
05-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Buy a good safety harness, and wear it always..

...personally I wouldn't trust my life&limb to nylon straps.

Absolutely buy a good, easy to use harness and USE it. Check out the Hunter Safety System vests. You'll need the Lines man belt also for climbing into your hang-on stands.

CanuckShooter: what do you use for seatbelts??:mrgreen:

CanuckShooter
05-25-2010, 08:18 AM
[/color]

Absolutely buy a good, easy to use harness and USE it. Check out the Hunter Safety System vests. You'll need the Lines man belt also for climbing into your hang-on stands.

CanuckShooter: what do you use for seatbelts??:mrgreen:

I have the vented Hunter Safety System harness and use a Summit Viper self climber.[rubber coated cables]. The harness that came with the Viper works but is a bit of a pain to fumble around with so it hangs in the shed. With a stand like the one pictured I'd want to have something solid as a backup in the least [chain/cable] so if the straps broke it would arrest your fall.:-D

rollingrock
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I do have the harness coming with the stand. But like you said it's a pain in the butt to fumble around with. It also has a safety belt with the package which is more useful and comfortable. I think the idea of using chainis is great. As long as the stand doesn't fall and there is a belt keeping me attached to the tree, I'm happy. :D