PDA

View Full Version : EVER HIT A LOG DOING 45MPH with an outboard?

proguide66
05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Thats right...new 225 yam....t boned a 'maybe' 8" log in How Sound...1 mile from the pull out...used the kicker to come in....the shaft for the trim is bent..theres a sign of water drops coming from the front of the leg seal..and a trickle of oil from one of the bolts:evil::evil::evil: and the power head cover is broke a bit in the front:evil::evil:...anyone have a lovely experience like this before????......what else to look for??

still runs fine..( had to use it to dock due to being alone and no warf for the pull out..only a concrete ramp) ran it for maybe 1 minute tops...leg houseing isnt dented..but bottom end isnt bolted 'square'..seems to have shifted out an 8th to the side...

todbartell
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
more importantly..........did you spill any beer?

ROEBUCK
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe Time For A Nice New Engine !!

Ozone
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Check your transom if its a glass boat as I have seen hairline cracks from that before.

05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Buddy hit a log last year in Alberni Inlet, on a 21 Trophy it WAS a 150 Merc.
Literally pulled it right off the transom mount, thats where it broke, as it went in running it remained attached on the cable, prop then came up and roto tilled the hell out of the rear corner of the boat until it ran out of air. Consider your self lucky!
Get ahold of insurance and insist of a rehaul .....something could happen down the road.

CT

lip_ripper00
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Well not in Howe Sound but my fishing/ hunting partner put his boat in the Fraser to run it up for season almost a year to this day went to look at the new bridge, and on the way down he hit a log or what ever.:cry: I got a call as their drifting down under the patelluo bridge on the kicker they had no power and no steering
Long story short we hauled the boat out and all that was left was the hyd lines to the power trim. Even with insurance still cost him 7000.00 total bill was 21000. and change,
Some where around Douglas Island in the river is a Volvo Duo Prop leg.
Shit happens, good luck

pnbrock
05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
that sucks run the fraser often allways eagle eyed for floaters.good luck with your insurers.hope it dont happen to me im duals.

proguide66
05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I re built a Grady from the bottom up few yrs ago..new EVERYTHING..took the inboard out,had a new pod made,bolted onto the transom.. hulls fine , pods fine..no cracks between it and the hull...no dents in the front of the leg..but it shifted the bottom end where it bolts to the outboard about an 8th,...$$$$...only have 60 hrs on it...the shaft in the trim is bent like a banana..will trim halfway...

pnbrock
05-24-2010, 09:14 PM
which grady you talking?

proguide66
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
older hull ,nice and thick...originally 20.5 inboard walk around cuddy..I 'think' the 'Overnighter'...new bow rail , paint,canvass..custom interior , fish hold where the inboard was,new trailer..every nut,screw washer new...very satisfying project...brand new 225 and new kicker.....its now 23.5 the pod was madse to support the power in the water , raised the waterline 3"..very cool fish killer...now its not 100%...:icon_frow

pnbrock
05-24-2010, 09:21 PM
if you need a fix bad ill be fishing the strait till early july then the boats in ukee for the remainder of summer.pm if you need.cheers Pat

lip_ripper00
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
that sucks run the fraser often allways eagle eyed for floaters.good luck with your insurers.hope it dont happen to me im duals.

We fish Bamfield and water in the area. It's a 26' boat we always look for floaters, what ever it was was not above the water. Insurance was good but still hurt :?

proguide66
05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/boaty2.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/boaty.jpg

pnbrock
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
nicely done ,looks showroom better not let me dock it.lol

The Hermit
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
That sucks man sorry to hear it. Nice boat!!!

proguide66
05-24-2010, 09:44 PM
if you need a fix bad ill be fishing the strait till early july then the boats in ukee for the remainder of summer.pm if you need.cheers Pat
Thanks!..i'm usually in Barkley sound'somewhere' during the summer....hopefully my boaty will be there soon...:-?

deerhunter
05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Hit one with my 200 black max lucky insurance was good but run a jet now do to my travels and threats to no more insurance

proguide66
05-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Hit one with my 200 black max lucky insurance was good but run a jet now do to my travels and threats to no more insurance
what was the outcome with the merc???

OutWest
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Tough luck PG but luckily you're alright! That's a nice boat btw.

Johnnybear
05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
First have to ask if you have insurance (i sure hope so)? Secondly does Howe Sound require a floater? I know not from experience but through others with experience that you need a floater on top of your marine insurance for the Alberni Inlet due to all the dead heads, debris, etc.

A couple of years ago before I bought my lot a Salmon Beach we used to get up at 3 am and drive to Port and launch then proceed down the canal to fish the waters of Bamfield etc. After the drive, fishing etc. on the way home down the canal you can imagine that the skipper (me) might be a bit bagged. Well this one time I was head bobbing quite a bit and my son smacks me across the back of the head and I instantly veered left out of sheer I don't know what............well it missed the motor but I smoked a dead head on the starboard side of the boat and trim tab. We were doing about 40 mph. It still works but the indicator lights go all wild all the time now. Aluminum hull "Zero damage" not even a scratch. I wasn't even worried about that.

That hydraulic unit is pricey on the outboards. Sounds like you need a new one. Strip down the lower unit and check out the drive shaft etc. and anything else yourself and/or get it checked out.

Shitty deal. At least your hull is all right and you made it in to dry land. I have seen and heard of too many log or dead head incidents that didn't turn out that way.

Oh yeah that is a sweet rebuild:mrgreen:.

madrona sh
05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Sorry to here about that but if you put the time in on the water it is going to happen. My last one was $9000. Get her all fixed up and enjoy your boat.

proguide66
05-25-2010, 08:38 AM
First have to ask if you have insurance (i sure hope so)? Secondly does Howe Sound require a floater? I know not from experience but through others with experience that you need a floater on top of your marine insurance for the Alberni Inlet due to all the dead heads, debris, etc.

A couple of years ago before I bought my lot a Salmon Beach we used to get up at 3 am and drive to Port and launch then proceed down the canal to fish the waters of Bamfield etc. After the drive, fishing etc. on the way home down the canal you can imagine that the skipper (me) might be a bit bagged. Well this one time I was head bobbing quite a bit and my son smacks me across the back of the head and I instantly veered left out of sheer I don't know what............well it missed the motor but I smoked a dead head on the starboard side of the boat and trim tab. We were doing about 40 mph. It still works but the indicator lights go all wild all the time now. Aluminum hull "Zero damage" not even a scratch. I wasn't even worried about that.

That hydraulic unit is pricey on the outboards. Sounds like you need a new one. Strip down the lower unit and check out the drive shaft etc. and anything else yourself and/or get it checked out.

Shitty deal. At least your hull is all right and you made it in to dry land. I have seen and heard of too many log or dead head incidents that didn't turn out that way.

Oh yeah that is a sweet rebuild:mrgreen:.

Had a clear look this am.......the bottom end shifted maybe a 16th on the tail end...no cracks ect....the main trim shaft snapped off at the top tip wich looks to have gone into another 'T' shaft wich is bent..guess I'll give checkpoint a call.....

vanislehunter1
05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes, I have. But I was only going 30mph. It was in Rupert Inlet and it was only about 5" in diameter. I was looking over at a tug for 2.5 seconds and next thing you know I smashed into it. It never did any damage but scared the hell out of me.

proguide66
05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes, I have. But I was only going 30mph. It was in Rupert Inlet and it was only about 5" in diameter. I was looking over at a tug for 2.5 seconds and next thing you know I smashed into it. It never did any damage but scared the hell out of me.
was it an outboard?? did it flip up and ruin anything??

looking like i MIGHT be lucky and will have to replace the trim shafts...on phone from Gallion on river Rd.....still have to check out the drive in the leg..they said to repair the crack in the power head cover due to them costing 2 grand to replace...:eek:

BlacktailStalker
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Shitty deal but it is a B.o.a.t; break out another thousand.
Very nice rebuild I might add.

Gateholio
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM

looking like i MIGHT be lucky and will have to replace the trim shafts...on phone from Gallion on river Rd.....still have to check out the drive in the leg..they said to repair the crack in the power head cover due to them costing 2 grand to replace...:eek:

Time for some JB Weld...

Phil
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
The first day I put my boat in the water I nailed a dead head and bent the prop badly. This was a few years back but I remember it freaked my out. In the end It cost me only a hundred or so at the prop shop.

05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Nope never hit a log doing 45,
But we hit a rock doing whatever it went wide open in a herring skiff once!
Elizabeth lagoon in Central Coast, There is a tidal rapid to get into it. It was before the opening and we wanted to go adventureing. We timed the rapid perfect. Put the motor on tilt incase we hit a rock going up the rapid (this was a good move). Got up easy. Any body having been there might know how specacular this place is. We were cruzing wide eyed everywhere but infront of us. There was a pinnacle that was 6" below the water. We hit it and we all flew. My friend got hurt pretty bad ( but he could still fish). Every thing was ok even the motor that flipped up so hard it cracked the housing. We dropped a buddy off on the rock and took a picture. It was absolute glass with him on the rock in his gum boots.

bighorn
05-25-2010, 04:13 PM
25 years ago i owned a 16 double eagle with a 150 black max on it.that thing flew,probably 55 60 mph.one night coming back from echo bay,we hit a boomstick at full throttle.the boat made it over the boomstick but we stopped pretty quick.few cuts and bruises,windshield broke,steering wheel bent.hit the throttle and went to camp tied it up and went up to the bunkhouse.came down the next morning and the boat was sunk,big hole in the back of transom seperated it from the bottom of the boat.lucky we took off right away or we would have sunk.
washed the motor out give it a good rinse with diesal,patched the transom and we were back in buisness.traded that motor in the next year,the year after that it seised up.
the mechanic told me that it takes something like 5000 lbs of force to kick that motor up,i think thats a little to much.
funny thing is we were visiting friends and not even drinking

proguide66
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
25 years ago i owned a 16 double eagle with a 150 black max on it.that thing flew,probably 55 60 mph.one night coming back from echo bay,we hit a boomstick at full throttle.the boat made it over the boomstick but we stopped pretty quick.few cuts and bruises,windshield broke,steering wheel bent.hit the throttle and went to camp tied it up and went up to the bunkhouse.came down the next morning and the boat was sunk,big hole in the back of transom seperated it from the bottom of the boat.lucky we took off right away or we would have sunk.
washed the motor out give it a good rinse with diesal,patched the transom and we were back in buisness.traded that motor in the next year,the year after that it seised up.
the mechanic told me that it takes something like 5000 lbs of force to kick that motor up,i think thats a little to much.
funny thing is we were visiting friends and not even drinking
holy shit , there's an experience to pass on.How many hrs did the motor perform after the accident??

blindguy
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Holy crap Steve it doesn't even look like the same rig good job.To bad about the motor.
I did the same thing with brand new twin 200'''s the freakin motors came flying out of the water thought the transom of my grady was gone for sure.
But all was good .I did put a call into my insur company just incase but 4 years later and still no bottom end probs.

proguide66
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Holy crap Steve it doesn't even look like the same rig good job.To bad about the motor.
I did the same thing with brand new twin 200'''s the freakin motors came flying out of the water thought the transom of my grady was gone for sure.
But all was good .I did put a call into my insur company just incase but 4 years later and still no bottom end probs.

holy crap...how fast were you going??...did the leg seals break open?? take em apart for a check??.I'm thinking I might be lucky...I took the trim off myelf , cut out the bent pin ect...the leg has no dent..but the seal is cracked a bumm hair , still a bit of water coming from the front...I'm guessing to damage the guts the case should be really hammered?????....taking it to the dealer Sat....f-in scary experience..

Gunner
05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
About 20 years ago I hit a log off Fransisco pt(Quadra Island),going wide open with my 50 Merc.Bent the splines so I couldn't ever get the leg off.I used it for a year or so(it ran fine!),but then the impellor went and because the leg wouldn't come off it was toast.I tried soaking it in a bucket of oil for 3 months but you could only get the leg about 3'' off.I don't think modern motors are made the same way. Gunner

abbyfireguy
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I hit a log in Barkley Sound last September,but I have in inboard jet so just left a shiney mark on the reinforced keel and a brown mark in my shorts.:?
No damage,but the two guys with me were pissed as they thought I did it on purpose.:mrgreen: It was pretty cool getting two feet of air..

The same trip I towed a guy into Bamfield who knocked most of his Verado lower leg off.
Too many partially submerged logs around after a big storm up there.

vanislehunter1
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM

looking like i MIGHT be lucky and will have to replace the trim shafts...on phone from Gallion on river Rd.....still have to check out the drive in the leg..they said to repair the crack in the power head cover due to them costing 2 grand to replace...:eek:Yeah... it was a 115 Johnson. Basically all that happened was it tilted up and made alot of noise.

Do you think you could get some pics up of the cover? I can't possibly see why it would cost $2000 for it!

RayHill
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Thats right...new 225 yam....t boned a 'maybe' 8" log in How Sound...1 mile from the pull out...used the kicker to come in....the shaft for the trim is bent..theres a sign of water drops coming from the front of the leg seal..and a trickle of oil from one of the bolts:evil::evil::evil: and the power head cover is broke a bit in the front:evil::evil:...anyone have a lovely experience like this before????......what else to look for??

still runs fine..( had to use it to dock due to being alone and no warf for the pull out..only a concrete ramp) ran it for maybe 1 minute tops...leg houseing isnt dented..but bottom end isnt bolted 'square'..seems to have shifted out an 8th to the side...

No I haven't.
I would look for LOGS?

proguide66
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah... it was a 115 Johnson. Basically all that happened was it tilted up and made alot of noise.

Do you think you could get some pics up of the cover? I can't possibly see why it would cost $2000 for it!
No shit..I just about shat when he told me that. He said the RCMP punctured a bunch while patroling for the olyimpics in Van..said its way cheaper to fix and paint!!:shock: If you do a search for 'Yamaha outboard parts' and look up a 225 4 stroke it shows every part to it and a $ for each...the cover is made up of a bunch..with big$ attached...I'm in the wrong buis....

proguide66
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
No I haven't.
I would look for LOGS?
Damn , 30 yrs on the water and I only now get this advice..shit...who duh thought of looking for logs:roll:

abbyfireguy
05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Do you have a few pictures of the engine cover damage?
I would be happy to give you a hand fixing it.
The only tricky part is getting the paint match . You want to get it perfect if its a new motor.

abbyfireguy
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I must of had a brain fart, wouldn't your insurance cover leg and engine damage after striking the log? Most marine insurance covers legs and other objects that hit submerged stuff.
I you have to get the lower unit fixed or replaced and cowl damage fixed or replaced,costs will/could mount up quickly.

stitch
05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I hit one a few years back with a 200 merc. Thought I only bent the prop but after I took boat in I needed everything from the power head down. Lucky I had insurance because the bill was close to 4g after the rebuild and cracks were filled.

proguide66
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Do you have a few pictures of the engine cover damage?
I would be happy to give you a hand fixing it.
The only tricky part is getting the paint match . You want to get it perfect if its a new motor.
Thanks for that!!!...taking it to the Yamaha guys on River rd on Sat...shall see how it plays out!!

Iron Glove
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
I must of had a brain fart, wouldn't your insurance cover leg and engine damage after striking the log? Most marine insurance covers legs and other objects that hit submerged stuff.
I you have to get the lower unit fixed or replaced and cowl damage fixed or replaced,costs will/could mount up quickly.

Yup, we sure do.
SSO's are probably the most common claim we get. :(

Hydrojet
05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I have hit a few with 115 and 175 units....hit the hull first and I pulled out of the throttle to have the engine fly out of the water still running the 115 and the 175 was sold and is still going strong as well.....insurance should cover it...depending on the area...I have done a few of those w/o issue...if they cover damage to a jet boat on a gravel bar they'll cover hitting a log.....just sent out a set of volvo legs to PG for a guy who hit some rocks!...insurance job. If the gear case shifted then the mounting bolts either bent or pulled out of the mid section...possibly fixable....the shaft would have to be pulled and checked for true-ness and if the gearcase is leaking oil I would be a little worried about a pooched gearcase. The cowlings are crazy expensive no matter what brand.....if you are looking to match the paint yamaha dealers have or can get the factory stuff in a rattle can......matches pretty good....if your really worried about matching than paint the upper and lower cowls and re-decal.

proguide66
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Holy lucky shit.......grand total for repair on my 225...........drum roll..........1,146.00 $ :mrgreen:....

pnbrock
05-31-2010, 07:57 PM
wow at that price you can hit a few more..

Schutzen
05-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Well glad to hear that things came out alright for u.
Luv the Grady's, might just bump into u out in the sound one fine summer day.
Cheers