PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' The Good Stuff - Salmon, Halibut & Tuna!

IronNoggin
05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
OOPS! Dammit! Title was supposed to read "Smokin'" not sokin'. Oh well, you likely got the drift...

So I've spent most of this weekend away from the crappy weather, and far away from the Idjuts out there. A couple of days ago I decided to clear out the freezer of fish, making room for the impending season nearly on us. 16 tuna loins and two 30lb halibut are a tad better than half-way through the process for turning them into some seriously FINE grits! Since I'm at a bit of a lull in the process (just gearing up to head out and collect the two 40's of Good Rum this recipe calls for :mrgreen:) I thought I'd share the process for anyone interested here.

All these recipes are listed on another site, so I hope the Mods here don't mind me linking to them. Way to much to cut and paste, and then too there's the fact I am just a little lazy :twisted:

The Lox recipe can be used for salmon as well. Just reduce the brine times to 12 hours. Long, detailed and complicated recipe this, but WELL worth it once you get to savor the final product!

Lox or Cold Smoked:
http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=57101

Next up a traditional favorite, wet-brined and hot-smoked salmon. Easier on the pocketbook and time than the other, and pretty well fool-proof.

Hot Smoked Salmon:
http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=48345

Finally everyone's favorite. Salmon Candy! Awesome recipe. Pricey all right and finicky, but again, make sure you shrink wrap most of it before letting your Buddies know you finished this run!

Candied Salmon:
http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=48342

Got any questions or whatever, feel free to fire them at me. Been doing this a considerably long time, and believe these three to be the Best in my Arsenal!

ENJOY! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

gamer
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
If there was a drooling emoticon, it would be very fitting for this thread.

rbduck
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Those look great. The one big thing I miss since moving to the prairies is fresh smoked salmon. My Father makes the best I`ve ever tasted.

Ron:mrgreen:

Holenchuk
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow! What a treat...I wasn't expecting this...

Thanks for the share...

Andrew

6 K
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
That candied salmon looks awsome
Gonna have to give that a try.
Thanks

IronNoggin
05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Last batch now completed. AWESOME!

Cheers

vanislehunter1
08-25-2010, 08:05 AM
I just finished making the candied salmon... Started on sunday at 2:00 with a 30lb spring, a 15lb spring, and 5 sockeye. It took five hours to cut these all into thin strips, and to make the brine. then, it took another three hours to prick them with toothpicks to dry! after that, they dried for 24 hours, and the end result was DELICIOUS!!! You owe it to yourself to make this stuff! the best recipe i've ever tried!

coach
09-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Bumping this OLD thread.. Just made a brine for hot smoked sockeye based on Nogs recommendation. Will see how it works.

IronNoggin
09-21-2014, 05:04 PM
... Will see how it works.

And... :confused: :twisted:

r106
09-21-2014, 05:14 PM
I might have to try some of these out

coach
09-21-2014, 08:24 PM
And... :confused: :twisted:

It turned out awesome!! Thanks again, Nog, for the recipe. :-D