PDA

View Full Version : Getting pup used to gunshot?

CoombsGuy
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Was just wondering, is there anything I should do?

I'd hate to take her out and blast off a 12 ga shot and have her terrified of guns and have to spend forever getting her to be ok with the sound...

Should I start out with a capgun or something and work up to something louder? Or just go for it and hope she doesn't freak?!?!

We try to make lots of new and loud noises around the house, and it has worked pretty well. she is not skidish in the least bit... But sometimes new loud noises scare her, but usually repeating the noise several times eliminates that fear...

Just wondering what others experiences have been with this....

ultramafic
05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I dont see any harm in starting with a cap gun first. I have heard of a lot of guys who use firecrackers too although they are somewhat more controled and can be hard to find depending on the time of year.

I have also heard of people just cracking off a round around their dog only to see it turn tail and run like the wind.

mike

Shooter
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Or you could take your pup to a pit or somewhere controlled without a ton of guys shooting numerous different firearms. Have a buddy plinking with a .22 but you have your pup on a leash a fair ways away and keep him occupied playing. Monitor his reactions to the sounds and keeping him occupied bringing him closer as his mood allows.

f350ps
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Take your pup to a trap range and start off at a great distance then slowly close the distance bit by bit. Good luck! K

Spokerider
05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Cap gun at feeding time, just as the bowl of food goes down on the floor. Make it a positive experience for the pup, so he equates food with the bang.

After a few weeks of the cap gun, try shooters sound advice with the .22.

Progress to a small or medium centerfire, and as with the .22, have someone shoot at a distance, ALWAYS monitoring the dogs reaction, and titrating the range of the shooting distance as required.

Finally, progress to the shotgun, as above.

huntingfamily
05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Just to add what spokerider said, start with the capgun with a single shot at some distance as well. You don't want the first experiences to scare the pup, rather you just want him to be curious about it.

Good luck.

hf

CoombsGuy
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I will try the above mentioned methods...

We had some thunder here the other day and it didn't phase her. And like I said, she isn't skidish around loud noises, but I don't want her to become that way...

Shoulda kept my ol' cap gun I guess... lol never thought I'd have a use for it....

Sitkaspruce
05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
There is many different ways to get your pup use to the noise.

Dropping a pot on the floor "accidently" while the pup is busy playing.
Take the pup for a walk and shoot off your 22 while talking to the pup.
As other have said, take the pup to the range and talk to it while the guns are going off.
Keep doing the noise thing when ever you get the chance, it will really help as they progress.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Cheers

SS

Mik
05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
When I trained my dog, I used a starter pistol. When she was close by and not looking at me I fired off a shot behind my back. Then slowly after time fired off a few shots in front of her. Eventually worked up to tossing dummies in the air and crackin a shot off at the same time. Eventually worked up to a shotgun 6 months down the road.

dutchie
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I started by banging pots and pans well cooking, Getting him use to loud noises, then a cap gun as I was playing with him, then I moved to the trap range BUT I WAS NOT SHOOTING!!!, walking around with him, playing with him, and we slowly got closer..... and closer....... and closer untill the third time at the trap field, i brought a pillow and his food and a bone and he was about 30 yards away, after I was shooting for a bit, he came and laid down on the pillow right at my feet... it was a slow process but it worked for my dog.

Now I have no problems with shooting a animal with him right beside me with my 300wsm... he gets way to excited when he hears the rifle report and he wants to go and track what I have shot...

Dutchie