PDA

View Full Version : The Cheslatta Curse - Misadventures

BromBones
05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
What follows is a few tales of spring bear hunting in an area that I've been working for the last few years, with hopes of finding a monster black bear. I backpack into the area, so if I'm gonna carry out a bear, it'll have to be worth sweating over. And there are some big bears to be had:-D

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta008.jpg

May 6th, 2008 -

After a successful grizzly and black bear hunt in MU 7-38, and 4 more days off work, I decided to try to fill another black bear tag. I hit the road in my Dodge loaded up with my pack, snowshoes, and gear for 3 nights, around 8 am. Arriving at the turnoff, I made it 2 km in the pickup before hitting a snowpack of 2 ft +. No biggie though, this would add 12 km or so to my hike, but I had all day. I strapped on my snowshoes and pack and headed down the road.

I made the 12 k to the trailhead in good time and without any issues. Another 8km and I'd be at my camp spot by the creek. It was tiring work slogging through the sugary spring thaw snow, so at the junction I stopped for a rest and a bite to eat. It had clouded over and started to snow a little, and my sweat soaked shirts were making me a little chilly, so I dug my Primus stove out of the pack to boil a little water for a cup of tea.

I'd got the stove fired up and was just setting a pot of water on to heat it, when I heard a hissing sound coming from the stove, followed by a loud WHOOOOFFF!....

My stove had crapped out and spit out a 3 ft + flame, with my face over top of it. Half blinded, I flailed my arm out and managed to knock the stove over, and then proceeded to kick snow on it as I couldn't get close enough, with the flames, to turn the valve off.

It had singed my eyebrows and chin whiskers off, and I was starting to feel a little stinging on my face. I knelt down in the snow, grabbing handfuls of it to hold against my face, realizing now that I had been burned pretty good. After a few minutes I could feel the blisters popping up, and my left eye starting to swell a bit as it had burned over my eyelid. With my face now feeling like it had been deep-fried, it didn't take long for me to decide to hell with it and head back for home to get some medical attention. The hike back was the shits with the stinging, and the sweat running down my face. The sun had popped out in full force which didn't help matters much. I made it back to the truck and drove home, and to the clinic the next morning. My bear hunt would have to wait.

May 20th, 2008

Fast forward two weeks and I'm healed up and ready to go. Again with gear for a few nights, minus the snowshoes, but this time with my dog (a 1 yr old bitch wolf) I head back to the area. I drove to the trailhead, with only 8 km to hike. I made the trip in a couple hours and by 5 pm I had my small camp set up and a good bundle of firewood ready to go. After a quick supper, I headed out to see what was around. The area I hunt is the north slope of the lake, which has many, many small green high elevation meadows and it hold a lot of bears in the spring. Didn't take long to find bears, even a couple that were just over 6 ft. Decent bears, but nothing I wanted to pack out. Dropping down in elevation closer to the lake, I stumbled across some more nice opens, followed soon by a set of tracks from a big black bear.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta007.jpg

I continued to search the area, finding piles of scat and more of his tracks. I never saw him though, and with dark approaching I headed back up the hill, and east down the trail back to camp. Quick supper and a hot rum, and I hit the sack.

Next morning I awoke to a bright sun and promising weather. Instant oatmeal and tea for breakfasy, and I hit the trail. Hiking through the open hillsides and glassing produced a couple bears, but again no shooters. I made my way down to where I had seen the big tracks and all the sign to have a look, and below me about 600 yards I spotted a big bear feeding in one of the meadows. A big, chocolate bear that I figured at 7ft +.

Watching the wind,I slowly worked my way down to the edge of the meadow, and got a good look at him from less than 200 yards away. Definitely a shooter bear and easily over 7 feet. I closed the gap another 60 yards, and lay down prone getting setup for a shot. The bear was now working his way in and out of the timber at the edge of the clearing, and did not offer a good shot, so I waited. Another 10 minutes of cat & mouse went by with me starting to squeeze the trigger on the big 8mm Mag more than once, only to have him move just at the wrong time. He disappeared into the timber, and though I waited for some time, he didn't come back out. I headed back up to a vantage point to get a look at the terrain and see if he had popped out into another open, but no such luck.

By this time the sun was beating down hard, it was lunch time, and I decided to give the bear a rest and come back down later in the day rather than risk spooking him out. I wandered back to camp to grab a bite, but I was in for a little surprise. My tent was flattened and shit scattered all over the place. Sleeping bag and extra clothes were up the bank 30 ft from the creek. Tracks showed a small black bear had been a little curious, and my grub stash was torn down and what was not eaten was spread out in the dirt. The dog food must have been tasty 'cause he licked that all up.

I cleaned up the mess, and arranged things again as best I could. None of my food was salvageable, but I had a few oatmeal bars and trailmix in my pack to live on. The dog and I split a couple of those, and by late afternoon we headed out hunting again. A lot of miles on the boots and time spent glassing didn't turn up the big bear I was looking for. By dark I was headed back to camp, a little disappointed, and pretty damn hungry. With no grub left, I called it a hunt, and strapping my headlamp on, I packed up the tent, and the pup and I headed down the trail in the dark. Got to the truck without any problems, and was home by 2 am that night.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta011.jpg

May 24th, 2009 -

Once again, after coming home from almost a month of grizzly hunting up north, I had some free time and wanted to find another big black bear. I packed up my gear and headed out - you guessed it - back to the same area as the previous year. My new 6 month old rott/mastiff cross pup tagged along for his first hunting trip.

Back at the same trailhead, I strapped on all the gear and headed in to the creek where I camp at. It was mid day when I got to camp, and since it was so close to some good areas to glass for bears, I decided to drop my pack and wander in for a quick look. I'd set up my camp later on in the day.

Coming in to the first meadow on the trail, less than 600 yards from camp, I spotted movement through the scrubby poplar saplings, further up in the open. Peering through with my 10x Leupolds, I saw what looked like a decent sized brown bear. I made my way slowly to the edge of the poplars, and looked over with my binocs. It was a 'brown' bear alright. A big freakin sow grizzly with two cubs! To make matters worse, they were on what I figured as a moose kill.

BromBones
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
It didn't take 30 seconds for that old sow to scent me, and she whipped around, gave me a quick stare, and took her first jump into a dead run at me. She was probably ~ 120 yards away when I planted a 500 grain Hornady out of my 458 Lott in the dirt by her feet, and that stopped her momentarily. I reloaded, while the bear started in a circle away from me and then down to the trail. I clipped the dogs leash to my belt, and we backed away slowly with that old sow coming down the trail towards me in a slow walk. I had a bead on her chest the whole time, and we backed away while she walked towards me, almost step for step. Finally she stopped, but stood her ground while I backed down into the creek bottom, grabbed my pack, and got the hell outta Dodge. One encounter with that big sow was enough, and if she had claimed the area temporarily, it was perfectly fine by me. Back to the truck ahead of schedule for the third time in three trips, was starting to feel like routine.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta006.jpg

May 22nd, 2010 -

The snow,rain, and thunder storms had halted my plans to head in on Friday evening, so after waiting out the shit weather I headed back once more to the area I knew had some big bears, but had been mostly poor luck for me so far.

Arrived at the trailhead around noon, and after getting my gear setup and the dogs pack loaded down, we headed in. 2 hours later I was at the same old creek bottom, and I unloaded everything and went to work setting up camp, cutting firewood, etc. A quick supper and the mutt and I headed out to have a look see. Pretty unusual this time around, as normally you have to watch where you step or you'll be in a pile of bear crap, and I hadn't seen any. No tracks, no scat, nothing. Glassing and hiking through all the best areas turned up squat. Tried a sequence with the predator call, which had worked for me in the past out there (although bringing in smaller bears), but nothing. At dark I stuck my headlamp on and we wandered up the hill back to camp.

I scrounged up a Liptons cup-a-soup and some trail mix for dinner, and sitting by the fire in the dark with my boots off, I decided to celebrate the day with a hot whisky and a half a cigar. Staring at the fire thinking about my next days plans, the dog perked his ears up and started to give his warning - a few short ''hhhuffffff..... hhhuufffffff'', and then into a snarl. Looking out, I could see a pair of eyes looking at us. Giving the dog a stern command to stay, I stood up to see what the critter was, but to no avail. I was pitch black and I'd been staring at the fire, so I couldn't see bugger all, just a pair of eyes on what looked like a fiar size animal, too high off the ground for a yote or fox, and fairly far apart. I hollered out ''Hey!'' a couple times but the pair of eyes never moved, or blinked. Finally I yelled out as loud as I could, "Get outta here, you ****sucker!!", and at that the dog started his deep, intimidating sounding bark like only Rotty can, and at that the critter turned away and from what I could hear, it took it's time moving away up the draw.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta0133.jpg

The dog continued to snarl and huff, and was pretty wound up when I hit the sack. Rifle close by, and with the dog sitting up listening intently, I nodded off. I was awakened a few times by the dog growling, and after a quick listen, I'd fall asleep again. I swear that dog sat up all night with his ears perked. At 6 am this morning I was up and about. I had a look for tracks in my camp but in the grass it was hard to tell. I had a cup of tea and some oatmeal, and headed out for a look. A few k's down the trail, I ran into the reason I hadn't seen any black bears in the area - a big shittin' grizzly bear wandering up the trail. No doubt this was a big boar, old pigeon-toed ******* lumbering towards me. He hadn't seen me, and I wanted to avoid him as he looked like a bear you want stay clear of, unless you have an LEH for the area.

I scrambled up the slope to my right to get above the trail and watch him pass, maybe get a few pics. Didn't quite work that way as the rotten old bugger turned off in the trees 60 yards from me, on my side of the trail, and started to move up the slope as well. He had made my choice for me - down I went :-D. Back on the trail, I walked away slowly, and could occasionaly hear him in the timber above the trail. I left him alone is 'his' area, and walked back to camp.

Another lightning/rain storm moved in and I waited it out for 3-4 hours before I decided, once again, to hell with this. Packed up, hiked out, drove home, maybe try again sometime:wink:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/Huntin%20stuff/cheslatta0122.jpg

Cheers

todbartell
05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
excellent story. I used to hunt the last 20km of the HC quite a bit in the spring, but not in the past ten years much. Ive done a few fishing trips on the lake too, seen a nice chocolate boar chasing a black sow on the lake once. thanks for sharing :D

Springer
05-24-2010, 12:54 AM
That was a great story. You never killed the Big Bear but had a great story to tell in the end anyway.

Camp Cook
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Great story/pictures they remind me once again that there is no place on earth like BC...

blueboy
05-24-2010, 07:40 AM
great story, i enjoyed reading it

bigwhiteys
05-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Great Story... I seldom read the long winded posts and just check out the pics instead... You kept me engaged :)

Carl

demlake
05-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Great story, well told.

I've spent a few days in on the east end of Cheslatta working, and your story's taken me back in there. High on the hills above the lake.

Thanks.

OutWest
05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Great story. It was a real good read. Hope you can knock one down in the future. Good luck!

The Hermit
05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Bears in camp... hate that but it is part of the experience for sure! Good story, waiting on the next installment!

pg83
05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the story, a great way to start a lazy holiday morning. Best of luck on your next trip in there.

BCLongshot
05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey

post some pics of the 1 yr old bitch wolf if you can ?

BromBones
05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
post some pics of the 1 yr old bitch wolf if you can ?

Might have some on my old 'puter, don't know. She's long gone so I can't go take one.

But if you can find a picture of a 70 lb, tall, lanky black wolf, that's her:-D

BromBones
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Re: your successful hunts in the area-any photos, stories??

Can probably dig some up one of these days.

Johnnybear
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Great read BromBones. Enjoyed it alot. That's a few hunting stories worth reading. Give your best bud a pat on the back he sounds like a great dog:wink:.

Darksith
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Im wondering who you are, nice story. I love that area, grew up in BL, spent a lot of time fishing the south side.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
What happened to her ?

kennyj
05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome storys. I really enjoyed them. Sounds like a VERY COOL spot.Be sure to keep us posted.
kenny

BromBones
05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
What happened to her ?

The bitch?

Came home from work one day, and no more dog. Don't have a clue what happened to her.:-|

sparkes3
05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
quality time in the bush

hunter1947
05-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Very http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif story and real nice pictures of the country ,there will be a next time for your bear :wink:..

Steeleco
05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Great story for sure, nice shooting iron BTW.

leadpillproductions
05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
great story thanks for sharing