PDA

View Full Version : White-tail and Mule Deer Scent

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Is there any difference between White-tail and Mule Deer urine? I have never used the scents, but noticed all the bottles I see say they are from White-tails...does that makea difference to the deer?

Fisher-Dude
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
The scents make a difference to your wallet. In my experience, deer ignore them totally. I get more deer by blowing diesel fumes at them. :mrgreen:

Ltbullken
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
After a week long hunt in the back country, I smell like a deer in rut! That's even with seom decent field hygiene!!

betteroffishing
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
ah , come on and support the local guy , ill sell you a full bottle of my piss for just a little bit more than those other guys charge for their deer piss.

Shooter
05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Last year I played with some scents for the first time. I sprayed some doe in heat urine scent and went for a hike down an old overgrown grade. I was walking along with the wind in my face and I spotted some movement up to my right and behind me. I crouched down and watched as a nice 2 point was walking the ridgeline down wind of me. I just stayed there and watched. As he passed me and got maybe 25 yards in front of me he stopped also and I could see him sniffing around. He then worked his way down the ridge to the grade I was on and turned to start making his way back at me. I stayed crouched down and remained still. The little 2 point came to within 9 yards of me sniffing. ( I paced it off after). A little later down the grade I ran into him again on the trail of another doe so he was obviously out roaming looking for love. I am convinced that he was trailing me while I walked because he came from down wind and when he got ahead of me and lost the scent he circled back to find it again. So that experience alone tells me that it is possible to have scents work.

Another experience last year tho was when I sprayed a small sapling along a lightly snow covered road with copious amounts of doe in heat urine. There were plenty of tracks in the area and I wanted to come back in a couple days and see if there were any tracks near the tree. About 4 days later I went back to find that there were still only my old boot tracks near the tree no fresh deer sign there (close to ther just not at the tree)

So it isn't a gaurantee but I am sure it doesn't hurt.

To the original question tho... I don't know if there is any difference between the species. I bet thats a good question for Huntwriter.

hunter1947
05-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Scent is scent as long as it help to cover up your own scent ,working into the wind is the best method out there .

sawmill
05-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Mule deer pee tastes a little more salty than White Tail.

CanuckShooter
05-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Mule deer pee tastes a little more salty than White Tail.

Sometimes I wonder about you buddy!!!:mrgreen:

They seem to be more effective when things aren't freezing out...they seem to help as a cover scent [on ground blinds] and they aren't that expensive so why not??? We've played with them a bit, they are not all they are advertised to be, wt or md doesn't seem to matter, but they do have a place in the arsenal of tricks!!! Just don't drink them....~~~~~~

thatskindafunny
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
The best scent is no scent. However since I said that, hmmmm, after sitting across from someone drinking a root beer I am going to try opening a can and putting it 10 yards away from my stand. Crazy but who knows until you try.