PDA

View Full Version : New Mystery ranch pack

Crazy_Farmer
05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Well I never thought I'd buy a Mystery Ranch backpack, the cost was never holding me back just sortof wanted to see and hold one first before making the jump. By chance twanger had an extra pack since MR sent him the wrong camo so he had the option of just selling it locally instead. And by chance I was in Kamloops finishing my schooling so we met up and I bought just the 6500 backpack off him.

Then ordered the frame to my measurements, and within one work week the NICE frame was here. Got it put all together, now time to load it up a bit and go for a hike up the mountain. Still playing around with the yoke adjustment since taking the picture, better now then before.

Thanks again Duane if you see this.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4467_512x768.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4468_512x768.jpg

Bighorn hunter
05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Great looking set up!

BH

338 winmag
05-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Now you just need the Crewcab and you're set.

swampthing
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
if you bought that from twanger, I would check it for stains. He gets pretty exicted over new gear.

Crazy_Farmer
05-31-2010, 06:32 PM
if you bought that from twanger, I would check it for stains. He gets pretty exicted over new gear.

Hahahaha well I did buy it from him, and no.... I havent noticed any stains lol :mrgreen:

twanger
06-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Swampy that has only happened once or twice, Ok maybe a half dozen :mrgreen:. Hey Adam glad you are happy with the pack, they are awesome. How many day's did it take to receive the frame? Deliverd to the farm or State side?
Cheers....
Duane

Crazy_Farmer
06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
To the shipping office in Wa, I think probably 4 business days, and I went and picked it up on the weekend when I went back home from Kamloops. Went for my first hike with it last night, just 20 lbs felt real good!

rem338win
06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Well I never thought I'd buy a Mystery Ranch backpack, the cost was never holding me back just sortof wanted to see and hold one first before making the jump. By chance twanger had an extra pack since MR sent him the wrong camo so he had the option of just selling it locally instead. And by chance I was in Kamloops finishing my schooling so we met up and I bought just the 6500 backpack off him.

Then ordered the frame to my measurements, and within one work week the NICE frame was here. Got it put all together, now time to load it up a bit and go for a hike up the mountain. Still playing around with the yoke adjustment since taking the picture, better now then before.

Thanks again Duane if you see this.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4467_512x768.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4468_512x768.jpg

I know I am new here but.......That is either Drew Carey or Peter (the Family Guy) a hundred pounds lighter wearing a backpack.
Either way: sweeeeeeeet.

Crazy_Farmer
06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Hahahaha too funny man. The great part about it is I can do an awesome Peter griffin laugh too lol.

Crazy_Farmer
06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Well I should make an update. Been walking or running every day. Always put the pack on when I go for a walk. Got a big heavy sleeping back inside so total weight is right around 25lbs...BIG sleeping bag lol, takes up the whole pack, not one I'll be taking with me on a hunt lol.

Anyways I have zero complaints on my pack except for after walking with it slighty loaded after about 20-30 minutes I get a off and on neck soreness. The yoke isnt rubbing or anything just like a strain on the base of my neck. I truely believe I just need to adjust either yoke, or load straps to find the right feeling or my neck will just get used to it and toughen those muscles up. Anyways I was concerned that if I really loaded it up that maybe this pain would increase 10 fold.

So I threw a big sandbag in it, 66lb bag, for total I measured was 80 lbs. I went for just a short 3km walk. And this must be where MR packs excel, I didnt feel that neck strain at all. My legs felt it by the end pretty good but if I had to I could take my time with that amount of weight and walk out with a quater or skin/cape and all my gear.

I also talked to MR and they hadnt really heard of my issue which I found funny as it would seem more common but they suggested to lower the yoke but I didnt really notice a difference. The neck strain I think may just be from how I'm holding my head while walking, head up or down I think stretching it and with the weight on.

mcrae
06-24-2010, 09:43 PM
They are good packs. I used mine to pack out a good size bear this spring and it worked well.

I sed the CrewCab for that but I have the 6500 as well. The Crewcab works as advertised. Hauled the meat in a couple of trips loaded heavy was very happy with it...

338 winmag
06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
The yoke looks a little high in your pictures. I would bring it down at least an inch and go from there.

Crazy_Farmer
06-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I think since that picture was taken first day I put it together I've properly fit it, and lowered the yoke more. I'll lower it some more and see how it fits though thanks.

Piperdown
06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Wow that is a sweet looking pack, if you don't mind me asking what is the exact model number of it and where can one buy these?

338 winmag
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Its a Mystery Ranch 6500 on a Nice frame. Once you pull the load lifters snug try backing your shoulder straps off a inch and that should transfer most of the weight to your hips which should get rid of any neck/shoulder strain. Another good tip is you can create a power pull by running the loose end of your waist belt back through the first connector. This way you tighten your belt by pulling straight ahead rather then to the side and back if that makes any sense.

bigwhiteys
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Another good tip is you can create a power pull by running the loose end of your waist belt back through the first connector. This way you tighten your belt by pulling straight ahead rather then to the side and back if that makes any sense.
I tried the power pull way, but it then becomes a chore to back it off when too tight, or when removing the pack. I always undo my hip belts, back them off and then do my chest strap and drop the pack.

Carl

Crazy_Farmer
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Once you pull the load lifters snug try backing your shoulder straps off a inch and that should transfer most of the weight to your hips which should get rid of any neck/shoulder strain.

that's a good idea I'll try that.

BCLongshot
06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Awesome set-up.

Dude I hate to tell ya this......but some bitch stole your ass ! Probably the same one that stole my eyebrows !!!!!!!!!!

Buck
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Which are the load lifter straps on that pack?I am guessing you pull the straps at the top of the shoulder strap?

338 winmag
06-26-2010, 06:36 AM
That's correct, in the pictures you can see the load lifters are not yet attached.

whitetailsheds
06-26-2010, 10:26 AM
That's correct, in the pictures you can see the load lifters are not yet attached.

Top photo they aren't for sure, second pic looks like they maybe, but looking harder it is just the male part of the buckle lying flat on the shoulder strap not attached....good catch 338....
You can see the female part of the buckle (empty/ unattached) on either side of the carry handle of the frame.

Crazy_Farmer
06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Old photos from when I first put it together that first day. It's been proper ever since.