PDA

View Full Version : Goat Hunting- Tasty Meat?

recon
05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm really interested in goat hunting and put in for a tag around Revelstoke.

Is the meat tasty? As tasty as game meat can be I mean... I'd like to know the hust could yield more than just a mount.

moosinaround
05-22-2010, 08:29 AM
In my experience goat compares to caribou in the rut for taste. Might be a close second to a big ole rutted mulie also. That is my opinion though! Moosin

boatdoc
05-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Best tasting meat , but not the even close to being tender.
We grind it up to make the best hamburger patties ever.
First goat i got we sliced up the tenderlion about 1/8 in thick, fried it up on the side of the mountain,i think i'm still chewing it today.
PS, don't shoot it legs off.

BromBones
05-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Tasty, but tough!

.330 Dakota
05-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Best tasting meat , but not the even close to being tender.
We grind it up to make the best hamburger patties ever.
First goat i got we sliced up the tenderlion about 1/8 in thick, fried it up on the side of the mountain,i think i'm still chewing it today.
PS, don't shoot it legs off.

X2............

pg83
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Very tasty, very tough. I'm not a fan of liver in general, but the goat liver I had the night we got our first one was amazing.

05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
The goats we've shot, were rather chewy, we only shoot billies but I would think they would be rather strong in the rut. We sausage them and enjoy every bit of it!
Nothing should be taken just for a mount.
CT

Caribou_lou
05-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Goat meat is great. But if your looking for a tender steak, your not going to find one. Makes great burger, breakfast sausage, jerky! I had some last year that was canned, tasted great and was tender.

moose2
05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I have put two different goats into jerky using a " Hi Mountain " brine and they were both great that way.
Mike

ThinAir
05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Makes some of the best sausage there is! Yum.

barry1974w
05-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I've only ever shot one and it was a seven year old billy. Very "flavorful" and about as tender as old boot leather. After eating some of the steaks and other bits, it all went into sausage, pepperoni, and jerky. Very good that way. But you should still take the tenderloins as steaks, very rare, they're pretty good. With one goat to my credit though, I'm not an expert. I'm sure there's others here with way more experience and better ideas than me.

Jim Prawn
05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Im with the masses, good flavour but tough. One of my most satisfying hunts though, and a great head mount!
JP

troutseeker
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Pretty chewy meat on my 13 year old billy. But sure was tastey and I'm still enjoying some great smokies.

dana
05-22-2010, 05:17 PM
If you want some amazing meat, choose a younger goat. Tender and about the best flavor you can find. And easier to pack off the mountain too. ;)

troutseeker
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
If you want some amazing meat, choose a younger goat. Tender and about the best flavor you can find. And easier to pack off the mountain too. ;)

Sure, I did look for a real young one, but I had to settle for a big old billy with huge horns instead. :wink:

Wild Images
05-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Awesome stuff to give to those friends that are allways trying to mooch your free meat that you got :-D

Trapper
05-23-2010, 07:21 PM
The gravy is even tough.
good luck

thatskindafunny
05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
The gravy is even tough.
good luck
Holy Crap! Good chuckle on that one.

gearjunkierob
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM
The gravy is even tough.
good luck

Nice! I've never had to chew gravy before....

Jelvis
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't even eat a goat, my teeth are not that strong anymore but know some that do.
Make a nice mount tho .. all white and those 12 inch black spikes curved back are beautiful to look at.
Jel .. You can have my goat and all the goats .. Do you like the taste of spinach lol? Or or raddish lol
Hows your teeth? Hows your jaw? Hows your ah soles on your boots lol might taste better.
Tastes like the Russian Army walked through your mouth with their boots off lol ...Cover completely with Hot sauce and plug your nose lol, also get a heavy duty electric knife with 220 power. If you make jerky out of the goat ... use a Jack hammer on full speed. lol.

Timberjack
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm really interested in goat hunting and put in for a tag around Revelstoke.

Is the meat tasty? As tasty as game meat can be I mean... I'd like to know the hust could yield more than just a mount.

Tougher than shoe leather, but the taste is actually pretty good. A little stronger than deer, but good. Not as good as a good whitetail, elk or moose though...

I used up the last of my goat meat in a goat stoganoff dish - excellent!!!

TJ

rocksteady
05-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Have had young (3 year old) dry nanny in the early season (Mid OCtober) and it was excellent...Have also had ancient billy from teh end of the season (disgusting)...

Not wanting to roll the dice last year, I made my whole goat into jerky....Was quite pallatable, but then again what isn't when you make it into jerky??

recon
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys! that's great info. I wouldn't shoot it just for the mount, I'd have to know that I could eat the meat before setting out... now I know I can!

GoatGuy
05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Favorite flavour, can be tough. Earlier is better.

Buck
05-28-2010, 07:16 PM
My Goat from Spatzizi was delicious.

Farmer001
05-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Run thru the Grinder a couple of times and add spaghetti sauce. Just like how momma used to make it.