PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting 7-39

Van-Isle
05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Well now that all the draws are in and I have to wait for a while to get the results who wants to just talk about them?
Has anyone ever hunted the 7-39 area? My dad and I hunted moose in 7-40 the season before last and only saw 1 moose in 10 days. Saw some of the most beautiful moose country I can imagine but there werent any moose to been seen, not even sign of them.
We put in for the 7-39 this year since we didnt think we could get the 7-38 draw. Has anyone ever hunted moose there? Has anyone seen anything else in the area? Sheep or goats in the hills? Elk? Bears? Any help is appreciated.

ve7iuq
05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Welcome, your first post!
7-39 is a big area. I used to hunt part of it a lot of years ago. If you are more specific about just about where you may be going, I may be able to help a bit.

d6dan
05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I landed in 7-39 and sheep hunted 7-40. But that was back in 1990. The time we spent (10) days there,we saw some real nice goats but no moose. But like ve7iuq says, its a big area. In 1993 I hunted caribou in the western part of 7-39 and was successful. We also saw lots of moose around the lakes and creeks. I guess it really depends what part of 7-39 your going to hunt and how much are you willing to spend getting to your destination and for how long a stay plays a major part of it. I know alot has changed since I was there. Logging has been creeping northward and some more mining and exploration, but I think theres still some good moose hunting there.
Buy the way, welcome to HBC.:-D..

Geo.338
05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
7-39 is a vast M.U. with few roads ,there are vehicle restrictions above 1450 Meters .One of the roads we could have travelled was blocked by a mining operation when the year before they gave us access around the site .We have attempted to contact someone and get permission with no luck .We have hunted there in the past .We did not see very many moose .

You may see some goats in the hills but you will not likely find any sheep .As well there are no elk .You are likely to see the odd Grizzly and black bear .For being so remote the area sees quite a bit of pressure from locals and FN hunters .

Go prepared as there is no help back there .If it is life or death you can go to the mine but other than that you are on your own .That road in eats tires so take more than one spare .

Good Luck on your hunt .Geo

Van-Isle
05-24-2010, 09:14 AM
We have the basic idea of what the area is like from our trip up 7-40, big bald mountains, rough roads but we were hoping we could go explore by going up the west side of the lake then taking off up the ingenika river or whatever that one is (dont have my map handy). We were hoping there would be less hunting pressure as 7-40 had been thoroughly shot out. We are mostly by truck and hike, we wont be flying anywhere or anything like that.
Good advice on the safety thing btw, we figured that one out pretty quick on our first trip up there. As for the tires we carry a couple of spares and run big heavy recaps which usually prevent flats, that is untill some one from Fort Ware dumps a box of big screws out the back of there truck and the grader spreads them over the road.

sneg
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
come back from there yeasterday . tons of moose,black bears ,some caribou