PDA

View Full Version : Bear Question

Ambush
05-20-2010, 10:17 PM
If you shoot a bear that's under six feet, but you don't plan on eating it, is it still "...just a meat bear"?

BiG Boar
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
no...it then is a fertilizer bear. Still have to post pics of the worm food bear though.

05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
uhhhhh whyd you shoot it?

peashooter
05-20-2010, 10:36 PM
you should eat that sum bitch.

lip_ripper00
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Is a 2 point just a meat buck?:confused:

Gateholio
05-20-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't call small coyotes meat yotes":wink:

05-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I don't call small coyotes meat yotes":wink:

But Big bore does :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Krico
05-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Haha!

I love all the b.s. "meat" comments guys make on here all the time. My favorites are the guys who shoot "meat bucks" where there are open doe seasons:rolleyes:. Whatever guys...

cloverphil
05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I won't be shooting any bear I don't plan on eating,
its all about the meat cuz' meat is good, mmmmm, got meat ?http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

BigBanger
05-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Get it chopped up and donate the meat to friends and such.

303Brit
05-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Unless the bear is a problem bear, why would you shoot an under 6 footer and then not eat it??? Regardless of what Krico says, I am a meat hunter first, trophy hunter second. So everything I shoot gets eaten, by the household.
Did you plan on having a rug or something done????
Maybe talk to somebody from your area to see if they want the meat????

Krico
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Unless the bear is a problem bear, why would you shoot an under 6 footer and then not eat it??? Regardless of what Krico says, I am a meat hunter first, trophy hunter second. So everything I shoot gets eaten, by the household.
Did you plan on having a rug or something done????
Maybe talk to somebody from your area to see if they want the meat????

So in your opinion, as long as the bear is over 6 ft it's okay to not eat it? Some out there may say 7ft is the benchmark for a trophy bear. What if someone wants to shoot a 7 footer, leave a beautiful hide in the bush and take only the meat? Is that ok with you? Who are you to decide which bears should and should not be eaten.

Not sure what my comments have to do with you personally being a meat hunter...

I think you have missed the tongue in cheek undertone of Ambush's original post.

Benelli FanBoy
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Dehydrate the meat and make it dog food!

303Brit
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
So in your opinion, as long as the bear is over 6 ft it's okay to not eat it? Some out there may say 7ft is the benchmark for a trophy bear. What if someone wants to shoot a 7 footer, leave a beautiful hide in the bush and take only the meat? Is that ok with you? Who are you to decide which bears should and should not be eaten.

Not sure what my comments have to do with you personally being a meat hunter...

I think you have missed the tongue in cheek undertone of Ambush's original post.

Personally I don't like anything to be unuse on an animal. I try to use as much of it as I can, hides, claws and some of the bones. As for 7' being a benchmark, I guess that just furthers my point about myself being a meat hunter.
But I do understand that people (seemingly lots of people) don't care to eat bear.

I do understand that OP was making a bit of a smart remark.

Maybe it was your overtone concerning meat hunters and their BS

Phil
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
It's not just a meat bear, make a rug too.

Krico
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Personally I don't like anything to be unuse on an animal. I try to use as much of it as I can, hides, claws and some of the bones. As for 7' being a benchmark, I guess that just furthers my point about myself being a meat hunter.
But I do understand that people (seemingly lots of people) don't care to eat bear.

I do understand that OP was making a bit of a smart remark.

Maybe it was your overtone concerning meat hunters and their BS

My comment had nothing to do with "meat hunters" or their "BS" It was in response to guys who feel the need to justify shooting an animal which, in the eyes of some, is less than a trophy, by precluding the word bull, buck, whatever with the word "meat." Exactly what Ambush was originally referring to.

I have nothing against meat hunters, or trophy hunters. We all hunt for different reasons. To each his own.

Ambush
05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Just a pet peave of mine. If you have to apologise for shooting it, then why pull the trigger?
Krico is right, we all hunt for different reasons, but the main reason is fun.

How many of you would hang up your guns and not go hunting if someone promised to bring you your favourite game meat every year?

Why shoot gophers, crows, coyotes, wolves etc.?

pappy
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
would a small grouse be a meat grouse? and a big one be worth making into a grouse rug?

Bear Chaser
05-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Meat grouse? LMAO. I only shoot them for trophies. Still looking for the Holy Grail of grouse trophies the 4.5 lb Ruffed Grouse.

Ltbullken
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
If you shoot a bear that's under six feet, but you don't plan on eating it, is it still "...just a meat bear"?

How about wanton meaningless destruction...?? :-? Eat what you kill.... Gophers exempted!

oldtimer
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
uhhhhh whyd you shoot it?

Exactly !!! Why ?? Mike

Benelli FanBoy
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Why shoot gophers, crows, coyotes, wolves etc.?

Well my Dad taught me to not shoot anything I wasn't gonna eat, but after taking the C.O.R.E. in BC I was told that coyotes and wolves have heavy impact on the ungulate population, and Crows will kill numerous songbirds.

So Im helping out the edible animals which are not reproducing as fast, and keeping nature sounding good with songbirds rather than annoying crows.

ThinAir
05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
The best way is...shoot a five footer(meat bear) and take few pics, call it 7' 3" squared :-D It's a win/win situation!

moosecaller
05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
All bears regardless of size are meat bears there is no such thing as a tofu bear, just google it and see for yourself, bears are made of meat! Learned somethin' new everyday.

Dean O
05-22-2010, 02:39 PM
starts with m ends in eat it must be MEAT

Gateholio
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM
When did BC bring in meat retention laws for black bears?

Bear Chaser
05-22-2010, 03:08 PM
When did BC bring in meat retention laws for black bears?

I believe 1993 or 1994.

Ambush
05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
How about wanton meaningless destruction...?? :-? Eat what you kill.... Gophers exempted!

So you get to pull rank here and decide what is wanton killing and what is not? Sorry, you're awol on this one.

Confused
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I believe 1993 or 1994.

Was this not just the end of the 1/3 rule? Going from 1/3 to all edible portions? Could be mistaken.:confused:

Jim Prawn
05-22-2010, 04:51 PM
If God didnt want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
Prawn.

Confused
05-22-2010, 05:05 PM
If God didnt want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
Prawn.

People are made out of meat!!:-D

Jim Prawn
05-22-2010, 05:21 PM
People are made out of meat!!:-D

Ive been known to eat certain ones of them too....
Prawn.

Bear Chaser
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Was this not just the end of the 1/3 rule? Going from 1/3 to all edible portions? Could be mistaken.:confused:
This is getting away from the original post.
If there was a 1/3 rule in BC this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe in the LML. In region 7 we could still take up 5 per year until 1990 when it was changed to the current two per year.

willyqbc
05-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't see why anyone has to justify there animal as a "meat bear" or anything else for that matter. If the hunter is happy with what he/she shot then good enough....shouldn't feel the need to justify it to the rest of us. I'm sure we've all done it at some point. Anyway, point is, a lot of us here, myself included at some point I'm sure have created an elitist atmoshphere where folks who have shot a smaller animal feel they will be looked down upon and thus have to come up with something to justify to the intraweb crowd why they didn't shoot a monster. Probably not the best direction we could go to support each other in the hunting community.....trophy is in the eye of the beholder, if the hunter is happy with the animal we should all do our best to treat it the same as we would a giant animal!

Just my opinion
Chris

wolverine
05-23-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't see why anyone has to justify there animal as a "meat bear" or anything else for that matter. If the hunter is happy with what he/she shot then good enough....shouldn't feel the need to justify it to the rest of us. I'm sure we've all done it at some point. Anyway, point is, a lot of us here, myself included at some point I'm sure have created an elitist atmoshphere where folks who have shot a smaller animal feel they will be looked down upon and thus have to come up with something to justify to the intraweb crowd why they didn't shoot a monster. Probably not the best direction we could go to support each other in the hunting community.....trophy is in the eye of the beholder, if the hunter is happy with the animal we should all do our best to treat it the same as we would a giant animal!

Just my opinion
Chris

Good post. In a lot of cases what differentiates between the sizes of the animal can boil down to luck of the draw. Right spot, right time, you got the big one, or conversly, the smaller one. Doesn't matter. As long as you are happy with what you have. I think anyone who has hunted enough has experienced "ground shrink" and learns how to judge size a little better from that but in the end, who cares. Bragging rights are for blowhards. If you worked hard to bag a certain animal and want to share that with others, great. Nice going, good story. If you were late in the season and you took the first shooter you saw to put meat in the freezer, nice going, no tag soup but certainly no need to feel less of a hunter because of it. I agree that we all hunt for our own reasons. No need to compare yourself to others... unless that's your thing. Then have at it.

Gateholio
05-23-2010, 09:43 AM
This is getting away from the original post.
If there was a 1/3 rule in BC this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe in the LML. In region 7 we could still take up 5 per year until 1990 when it was changed to the current two per year.

Not shooting 1 bear in every 3 years....:-D

he's talking about meat retention.

MichelD
05-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Looking at my collection of regs synopises I see that in 1990-91 you weren't required to keep bear meat.

You were required to keep one hind quarter of sheep, goat and caribou.

In 1991-92 they added black bear to the one hindquarter rule.

I'm missing 92-93 and 93-94, but in the 1994-95 regs it states under New Regulations that the four quarters and loins of black bears were considered edible portions.

In fact, that was the year they added that the four quarters and loins of cougar, caribou, sheep and goats along with deer, elk and moose (already required) were considered the edible portions and had to be taken.