PDA

View Full Version : Indian River fishing? anyone ever gone?

drakehunter
05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
anybody ever boat up the arm and fish the indian river? ive read that it has good runs of pink and chum, but was hoping to land a few dollys in the river this weekend

05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Indian river like Kootwis creek?

Paulyman
05-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Indian River is not very politically correct! it should be changed to First Nations People River :)

Steeleco
05-21-2010, 06:37 AM
I've fished it a few times on pink run years. But since the road has been impassable for the most parts I've never got back.

Fly-fishing for them is a blast.

MB_Boy
05-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Yup.........been in there a number of times when the road was accessible and boating up the arm.

I have no idea about the trout situation in the river but have caught pinks around the mouth many times; and this is a pink year. (I think....if I recall correctly??) There is decent trout fishing up in Norton Lake but without a quad (or truck) it is a heck of hike/pedal to get up there.

The fishing can be good but also just as frustrating as coho's around the Cap. The fish can be swimming all around and they can be tight lipped. The old staple for pinks will work though with any sort of small pink lure....spinners, buzz bombs, spoons etc.

Oh.....and lots o' bears in there too.

Burger64
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Pinks down here come on odd # years

SHACK
05-21-2010, 05:21 PM
The Indian can be/used to be a great river for the pinks, and it did hold a few exceptional rainbows as well. I was last up there 2 years ago, but water levels were so low I only found fish in one particular run that was deep enough to hold about 300 pinks.
Im not sure what kind of shape it is in nowadays, but the last trip I made will probably be one of my last. Just not worth the effort for the mediocre fishing we had, and the river was just ditchy. Im sure it was just another low water cycle, but there are better options closer to home.

drakehunter
05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
thanks for the info guys. We were planning to go camp up there for a night this weekend at granite falls, we have a boat and thought we might bring our rods to try our luck for dollys or cuttys

MB_Boy
05-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Pinks down here come on odd # years

Ya.....I was having a bit of a brain fart trying to remember whether it was odd or even "second" years that they come in.

Gunner
05-22-2010, 10:55 AM
It's worth flyfishing the estuary for cutts,back in the seventies we used to boat up and run up the road to the falls on a Honda 50.We'd leapfrog our way back down,usually we'd hook 2 or 3 steelhead,and a few cutts and dollies.We used to go in mid April mostly. Gunner