PDA

View Full Version : Itcha-Ilgachuz Caribou

pg83
05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I've been wanting to get in there for a number of years now, but have no real knowledge of the area. I've been searching around on the net, but the information is pretty weak. I'm looking at hiking in with a couple of friends and it appears you can do that from a couple of directions. I only know one guy who has harvested a caribou up there, but he is currently out of the country so I can't lean on him for any advise. Anyone know of a place to get some decent maps or info on this beautiful area of BC?

Blktail
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Can't wait to hear!

pg83
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I have to try and force myself not to think about it too much because I get way too excited. I have found one decent article on the area through the bc government management plans that gives me a decent idea on where to find a couple of trailheads. I need to figure out where the 'bou are hiding at in september and october to decide which side of the park I come in on. From what little I know so far they should be in between the higher country and the pine forests which basically puts them anywhere within the park :P

Rod
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I have hunted and guided in the park, we ride in, 2 days on horseback I don't know what the trail in from Anaheim is like but I am guessing it is not something you would want to do on foot.. plenty of guys fly into Itcha lake on Tweedsmuir air out of Nimpo Lake and camp right where the plane drops them off and head to the mountains on foot every morning....

Lots of boo up there most of the time but they have been known to leave whole patches of the mountain range almost completely empty of animals at times..

I would also suggest planning to be there early in the season, by October there is a good possibility of some serious snowfall..

GoatGuy
05-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Was a write-up in backcountry horseman recently. Also in saddle up magazine it's free find it at any tack feed store in BC

kennyj
05-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Some great info guys. Sounds like an awesome area.
kenny

saddlemaker
05-20-2010, 07:04 AM
A long hike without mules and or horses.

pg83
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't thought about the fly in option so that will be something to consider.
Saddlemaker, that second caribou looks mighty fine! thanks for the pics

LYKTOHUNT
05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
We are going in this Sept on horses,the guy I am going with has done the trip in one very long day but I think it makes more sense to ride in two days.
I am no expert but I think it will be a very long hike in.

pg83
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Aye, the hike could be long depending on the direction we come in on. The west side of the park is pretty close to the road, but it is also the steepest looking stuff the get into and around. Coming directly from the south doesnt look too bad, but it looks like it puts you in the middle of the two volcano areas. Coming from up north is a long walk, but doesn't look like it's too bad since you can follow seismic lines.