PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly problem , need advice ???

rafike
05-19-2010, 01:51 AM
A friend has a farm north of town and has a had a grizzly kill 2 cows over the past two weeks, he called the CO's and they said to shoot it if he gets a chance. He wants me to give him a hand because he does not hunt. Can he get a letter from the Ministry so he can dispatch this bear. Does anyone know what a farmer can do.
Thanks

Timber-hunt
05-19-2010, 02:30 AM
get a letter from the co saying they said that

hunter1947
05-19-2010, 03:41 AM
If the local CO said go ahead and shoot it then go to his office and get written permission that you can shoot this problem bear then your good to go..

pmj
05-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Do a news release and ask Wild BC or the Suzuki Foundation to pay to have it relocated to California or Europe. This would be a win win.:-D:wink:

bowhunterbruce
05-19-2010, 06:01 AM
its my understanding that any farmer can protect his way of life anyway he needs too including dispatching a murdering bear.as others have said ,obtaining a letter of authorization just allows it to happen without any chance of repercution.

boxhitch
05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Chances are the letter will name the property owner as the only one allowed to do the dispatch.
If they will even write out the permission. What is said and what he will put his name to may be two different things, if it is at all grey.

Jelvis
05-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Try the bird bangers you know it makes a bang noise and scares wild life away.
jElvi$ ... Simulates a rifle BLAST! Scare that bear to Kingdom come...
Or put a donkey in the same field it scares coyotes and bears away, so I heard on tv de udder day

moose2
05-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Mabey finding someone with an LEH for the area would work. This would keep everything legal , and would also allow someone to use the hide and head. I think if the farmer shoots it the gov collects the hide and skull or else it has to be destroyed.
Mike

wolverine
05-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Personally, I wouldn't touch that one unless I had a letter from the CO on their letter head. One other thing is that as long as your rancher friend has no problem hiring you as a ranch hand you are the de facto rancher. I believe that would have you covered right there but I'd check it out a little further to determine that status.

igojuone
05-19-2010, 08:14 AM
It depends where his farm is located and how much land. In Kelowna city limits the land must be 5 acres or more, shooter must obtain 5 million insurance, letter from property owner presented to RCMP along with shotgun(no single projectile, slug), they do checks on you, firearm and then your good to go. I might have missed a step but best to call CO and RCMP.
My landlord is old school, his property, his way. Hit them with the shotgun and no looking back.

Darksith
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
its my understanding that any farmer can protect his way of life anyway he needs too including dispatching a murdering bear.as others have said ,obtaining a letter of authorization just allows it to happen without any chance of repercution.

There really isn't a need to get it in writing, but you must make sure you dispatch of the bear on his property. When the bear is dead call the CO and he will come and release the hide/skull or take it away. Don't shoot it if it isn't obviously that bear...ie on his property, near his cows.