PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

Trevorg
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Just trying to figure out a few things. ive been hunting with a couple buddies that have there status cards for a long time. Now ive been told that its not legal for a non-status to hunt with status holders? Is this true or just some bulls#@t? im kinda hoping someone knows for sure and its not just opinions. I always use my own tag, so i cant see why it makes a difference.

Thanks
Trevor

SteadyGirl
05-18-2010, 09:25 PM
that stems from situations like spring bear hunting for example people hear of a nice bear out of den before the bear season opens, and want to hunt it. so they just get an indian and go hunt it. if you have a tag and whatever you are hunting is in season you can hunt with the pruple people eater

Trevorg
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
i was hoping that was the case, thanks steadygirl:-D

Steeleco
05-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Agreed, so long as you comply with the laws that govern us, it won't matter who else is standing next too you.

Trevorg
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
ok, but if they are allowed to take a deer and im allowed only bears right now and theres one of each in the truck as long as my tag is filled out are we gonna be alright if the co pulls us over?

Jelvis
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Phone a CO and ask him or her.. If you don't know the laws your sunk already..
Too much fear and doubt breeds insecurity ...
Insecurity breeds doubt and doubt makes you nervous and nervous makes unhappy and unhappy .. might as well not do it...
Jelly ding dong ... No fun then don't do it, cuz it's all about fun and excitement within the rules ..
So get to know the rules and play within them ..

05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Try to be a bit careful. They are only legally aloud to take deer out of season on their hereditary land. Though a CO might not want to open that can of worms for them he might be fine with it for you.
I have many Native friends one of wich i am going trap shooting with this weekend, I'll ask him what he says but im sure my above is correct. Dave is well educated in what he is aloud to do and not aloud to. For the record he follows White man season and rules, except he doesnt need a lisence.

Moral of the story is your friends should be ok with not shooting a deer with you in the vehicle just to keep you safe, If they have a problem with this I wouldnt go with them. The grey only applies when you are brown.

Some natives dont follow their rules i repeat some not all. There are very few CO's that want to touch it when they get caught just because the court system is ugly on this topic. like all of a sudden you can pit lamp.

Jelvis
05-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll let you in on some knowledge but read it close and don't get carried away.
... Most natives are not status ok so ask the fellas to show you their card
... Some don't know just like you don't
... Asking people about this will not answer your question
... It comes from within, either you know or you don't
... If you don't, stick with the regulations that all follow
... also know your rights and go with that
jelly miester
P.S. everyone thinks they know and thinks their knowledge is right but most are totally wrong.
like the post by 835 is above is not accurate at all ... but it doesn't matter cuz we all go by BC Hunting and Trapping regulations anyways.

05-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I'll let you in on some knowledge but read it close and don't get carried away.
... Most natives are not status ok so ask the fellas to show you their card
... Some don't know just like you don't
... Asking people about this will not answer your question
... It comes from within, either you know or you don't
... If you don't, stick with the regulations that all follow
... also know your rights and go with that
jelly miester

BINGO.
That is as clear an awnser as you will ever get outa Jelvis
and i would do what he is saying
------------

Trevorg
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
ok so it looks like i better just call a co and ask. for the record i have seen the status cards and i do follow the white man rules. only thing is i dont know the rules that apply to natives lol. thanks for the advice so far though.

Steeleco
05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
E-mail them, print the reply and take it with you. You may get the answer you seek from one guy, but the guy in the field may have a different opinon.Opinions are no defence, paper will cover your ass!

pg83
05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Chatting with the CO is deffinately best. There would be no proof that you shot a certain animal that is sitting in the back up a pick up truck, but why put yourself in the position in the first place?

camelsfoot
05-19-2010, 07:30 PM
I will not let anyone tell me who I can have
as a friend,or a hunting partner solely based on
race.This is Canada for gods sake,not South Africa.
Charging anyone for hunting with your native friend
would be a black eye for Canada.:cry:

oldtimer
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
As long as your "friends" don't have and are using BIG bright lights and it is open season for your tags then have fun. Mike

Jelvis
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
A CO if you phone will give you a definite maybe over the phone. Probably wonder what you are asking for, first of all...and why?
The reason is an Indian Status band member has been at meetings that explains protocol between government officials and band members concerning meetings in the bush, rivers and fsr's.
Anyone who is not of these two groups will not understand the protocol if
1. They are not a Status Indian
2. They are not an official government representative.
So now you know ....
.... Study our B.C. Hunting and Trapping Synopsis and if you do you won't have any problems if you obey the regulations provided....
jElvi$ ... You didn't know ... Now you know ...

05-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I will not let anyone tell me who I can have
as a friend,or a hunting partner solely based on
race.This is Canada for gods sake,not South Africa.
Charging anyone for hunting with your native friend
would be a black eye for Canada.:cry:

Dont worry this is not at all what we are getting at :-D
Just trying to have this guy not get into trouble. The law in this case is vary Blurry at best and even as law sometimes doesnt matter. I hunt with my native friend regularily but he doesnt put me in a position where it might go bad ONLY because you dont know how the CO will see it.

Talk to the local CO and you will feel better about it.

Jelvis
05-20-2010, 11:04 AM
You can ride along anytime, or drive.
Just can't hunt sometimes, but still can drive or ride along.
As long as your not breaking the B.C. Hunting and Trapping Regulations.
Jelly Bean Bagz Bustin Broncos Bravely Big Boy ... BAM! yer Done like Dinner

ElliotMoose
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I have my status and i dont even know the regulations so dont listen to anyone on here you would have to ask an actuall C.O. because its not worth it listening to one of us then a c.o. happens to come buy and were wrong and you lose everything you got on you!

CanuckShooter
09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
ok so it looks like i better just call a co and ask. for the record i have seen the status cards and i do follow the white man rules. only thing is i dont know the rules that apply to natives lol. thanks for the advice so far though.

What????? We are all in big trouble now.....