PDA

View Full Version : Horseback Access Cassiar Area

Blair
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
We are planning a trip to the Cassiar area and are looking for information about access to good caribou or sheep hunting areas by horseback. If anyone knows of pack trails in the area can you please let us know. We are particularly interested in areas we can access with our horses where quads can't get to. Does anyone have information about access and hunting in the Horseranch Range? Any help would be appreciated.

05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
GET READY FOR OPEN SEASON ......... your 1st post ......... sheep access info ......

NOW THAT'S FUNNY !!

CT

GUNS ARE ABOUT TO GO OFF !!

SteadyGirl
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
if i knew i would tell ya, i want to hunt the cassiar too

bridger
05-18-2010, 10:30 PM
a guy was telling me about a trail that went into that country but said the horse feed was scarce. can't remember where the trail took off but will give him a call in the next day or so and re vist the conversation. at the time i was interested more in caribou and that was what we discussed. didn't investigate to much. I know there is a quad trail going into tucho lake that you can take and keep going where quads end. its in lancasters area and gets into great caribou and not bad sheep areas. two days travel supposedly good ground to travel in.

Hotshoe
05-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Go in at the Cassiar mine site....follow the yellow brick road.....3 days to the Kawdy for Caribou, will see rams on the way but usually young. Caribou are the best Sept 12-24 out on the flats. If you have horse power you will find all the trophy bou you want.

Blair
05-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks to Bridger and Hotshoe for the ideas. I'll wait for more information.

GoatGuy
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Go in at the Cassiar mine site....follow the yellow brick road.....3 days to the Kawdy for Caribou, will see rams on the way but usually young. Caribou are the best Sept 12-24 out on the flats. If you have horse power you will find all the trophy bou you want.

About says it all.

Blair
05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
What is the "Yellow Brick Road"?

GoatGuy
05-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Starts at the old mine.

Hotshoe
05-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Blair,
Get yourself a map for the area, if you have horse experience you should be able to pick the best looking route and you should pick up some sort of a horse trail. If you don't, turn around and try again. If there isn't some remnants of a horse trail after 50 years then you probably don't want to go down or up that valley. Go exploring and learn the country on your own, that's half the fun of a pack trip, don't expect a well marked hwy to follow, treat your ponies like gold and good luck!

mcguire.watkins
01-30-2019, 12:22 PM
There is a great trail down to the blue river and beyond from the Cassier Mine road. A days ride in and your in sheep country. feed is abundant in the open areas west of the Blue River, I came across some hunters stationed there for ten days with 12 horses.. it is also an easy ride to Blue Swan lake and the platue just south of the lake for Caribou. Hope this helps.

Foxton Gundogs
01-30-2019, 12:28 PM
I lived in Cassiar for almost 3 yrs. Took 3 very nice Caribou south of Dease 2 up on the Gnat and one above 40 Mile Flats. But that was late 70s early 80s

cassiarkid
01-31-2019, 03:46 PM
Hiked up on the Horseranch twice, hardest part will be getting the horses across the Dease River. Took a nice caribou up there. Beautiful country and lots of grizzlies! Good Luck!

bcsteve
01-31-2019, 05:51 PM
9 year old thread. Hope he found a trail! :)

valleyHunter
08-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Any more info as to access that is current?

S.W.A.T.
08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
There is also a trail just a little further up the road that takes off up the hill side just across from the hallow bar mine site. Drove up there with a pickup but that was 9 years ago. Get up to the alpine quick and goes forever

Wish I could remember the name of the creek just past the trail. If I do I will msg you

digger dogger
08-06-2019, 10:19 PM
What hotshoe said is good info!!!
The guide in there said the ride in is a bitch, but he goes in on horse every year.
Caribou a getting scarce, and wolves are getting thick.

S.W.A.T.
08-07-2019, 01:51 AM
I found "maps" of the area aren't very accurate and Google to be less so. Its changes fast for sure. It is best to check around yourself and explore. The has been so much activity in the are over the last 20 years that maps can't keep up but that also means there's lots of new trails. From the mine you can get through the pass to atlin. Good luck, that's my favorite part of the world. Tears a lot of people up, really tests the bush skills

boxhitch
08-07-2019, 06:12 AM
Are the mining/exploration trails in the area considered private and possibly gated?

S.W.A.T.
08-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Are the mining/exploration trails in the area considered private and possibly gated?

Some might be, but usually only on the active sites. Most have a radio frequency to call in before hand