PDA

View Full Version : it might happen finally?

newhunterette
05-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I may finally get my chance at black bear this weekend, if everything comes together as planned. No hockey, no dance, no celebrations, no renovation, just plain relax time.

Wish me luck, please. Peter leaves thursday to get everythig ready with Azshia and Josh and I will meet up with him Friday with Breanne. Braydon is being mr independent and attending his grad camp out (beware grad weekend).

Hope y'all enjoy your May long weekend.

bsa30-06
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Good luck Ali,hope it works out for you.

chainsaw
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Go get em Ali good luck

horshur
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
may long is always a good weekend....good luck!!

SteadyGirl
05-18-2010, 06:33 PM
good luck!

try and get nice and close. bears are fun and can be a really easy stalk. maybe this year if I see a bear I am willing to shoot I won't miss at 80yards:mrgreen:

bowhunterbruce
05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
i got one of mine just this past sunday ali,goodluck to ya and watch your wind,thier nose is thier best defence.and oh ya and aim a little lower then is typical for most ungulates,just above the elbow is best.i hope ya get a fatty with a big melon.

moosinaround
05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Go get em Ali!! I have not done so well yet here, holding out for a pumpkin head!! Moosin

Springer
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm Cheering for you to Allison !! The Bears are out showing off those impressive winter Coats still and you deserve a Nice " Big Bear" !! and having Peter there to skin it and pack it , well you have it made !!

Sounds like Braydon is going to have a fun weekend! I remember talking to him about their Grad celebration and ours here...you know Dry Grad and Safe Grad kinda thing.
Anyway Good Luck to Ya'all.

hunter1947
05-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Good luck Ali and do have a relaxing weekend you need this for yourself :wink:..

Bear Chaser
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Good luck. I hope to find a suitable bear for my fourteen year old daughter this weekend. We went out on Sunday the 16th but only found four small black color phase. We did have fun stalking up to within fifty yards on a couple but they were too small.
Hope to be posting pics of a successful hunt at the same time that we read about yours.

newhunterette
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
one more sleep and I am off

thanks so much everyone for the good lucks - I have a good feeling now :)

newhunterette
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
okay let me see - hunting license (check), bear tag (check), Rifle (check), ammo (check), quad (check) quad insurance (check), skinning knives (check) and thanks to Mr Gander - instructions to skin a bear for a mount as well as the salt for the hide (check)

boater's license (check), fishing license (check), fishing gear and rods (check)

I think I am almost ready - all the big stuff is heading up in Peter's truck tonight (he is in 100 mile already)

just the little things needed are in my suburban ready to leave in the mornin.

DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERA - (check)

05-20-2010, 08:25 PM
yeeeehawwww got yer boots?
good luck take some pics

moosinaround
05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
okay let me see - hunting license (check), bear tag (check), Rifle (check), ammo (check), quad (check) quad insurance (check), skinning knives (check) and thanks to Mr Gander - instructions to skin a bear for a mount as well as the salt for the hide (check)

boater's license (check), fishing license (check), fishing gear and rods (check)

I think I am almost ready - all the big stuff is heading up in Peter's truck tonight (he is in 100 mile already)

just the little things needed are in my suburban ready to leave in the mornin.

DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERA - (check)
Ummm..........................................who' s got the FOOD????

newhunterette
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
yeeeehawwww got yer boots?
good luck take some pics

omgosh thanks for reminding me - Peter said he couldnt find my boots cause they are so small grrrrrrrrrr - I better double check he took them when he left lol

Ummm..........................................who' s got the FOOD????

well I saw this big white cooler and a few totes being loaded in the truck - I think the food went with Peter - good thing Azshia is with him to cook until I get there lol

newhunterette
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
and I am done heheheh found my huntin boots too

see y'all wednesday :)

have a very grand long weekend

newhunterette
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
just got home - will write all about our trip and post pics as soon as I can - very tired

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Day 1 (Friday)

Earlier Friday mornin, Azshia, Josh and Peter went fishing, hooked into one and lost a couple. They shared the one rainbow over an open fire waiting for Breanne and I to arrive.

Friday morning, Breanne and I headed North to meet up with Peter, Azshia and Josh. We got into canim lake about 2:00 pm and the weather had just turned to rain. (you know Cariboo weather changes on a dime). We spent the afternoon, sittin around the campfire and planning the next few days.

Day 2 (Saturday)

Peter and I decided the weather was not going to co-operate with us for an early morning bear hunt (somehow getting soaked on the quad didn't appeal to his tender skin - hehehe shhhhhhhh did I say that out loud). We did a little fishing instead only to be deeked out by them crafty rainbows - I had a couple to the boat just to watch them spit the hook out and flip their tails (neener neener, not today buttercup).

Early afternoon the weather decided to smile and the sunshine came upon us, we loaded the quad and our hunting gear and headed to spots known :). (always the hunter secret code don't tell the sweet spots). Leaving our children and dogs unattended at the cabin. (remember my kids are young adults and have been coming hear since they were in diapers).

We drive into one of our favourite areas and unload the quad and double up to try some new trails we have not been on before. (here I thought having all the extra padding on my tush would protect me from the bump bump bump of quading, good Lord above, I felt so abused after 3 hours of jostling my cheeks around. I am now an expert at all kinds of animal poop and foot prints as well as what some wilderness bugs taste like (NOTE: do not laugh, smile or speak when on a quad, you never know what is going to end up down your throat - never mind your peanut gallery thoughts -Noahdawg).

We were seeing lots of signs of bears in the lower areas of the FSR's and trails but as soon as we headed higher ground we hit so much snow. (I couldn't believe we were in snow, and yes we even had a snow fall hit upon us. The more snow we hit the less sign of bear we saw. We decided to head back to the lower levels. The weather this day was snow, rain, sunshine, wind, hail, everything dropped upon us (thank you Mother nature). Along the travels we did see 7 deer (some in very nice velvet to be ready for opening season as well as we saw a little moose, who perhaps just became teenager enough to leave momma. NO FREAKIN BEAR grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As we stopped for a little snack to eat, Peter decided now would be a great time for me to try out my crossbow. He ran through the loading of it with me and had me 13 yards from the target to see its accuracy, as it hadn't been shot since I got it at Christmas. BAM - dead center of the target. HAHAHAHAHA he couldn't belive my first shot was dead on. We moved to 20 yards and I reloaded (he bought me this easy pull string thingy (okay I am a girl) and it works like a charm for me (no pain in my back which is what we were hoping for - my back handles it well). BAM - in zone just off to the left slightly, wind changed lol. He is liking how this is shooting so he wants to give er a try. At 40 yards, BAM - he freaks at how the trigger is so touchy and he hits the target a little low but happy with the shot. I have to say I am so excited about using this crossbow, it is so nice to shoot.

We decided it was getting close to supper time and as I mentioned we left them kids in charge (they just had to make tacos). As we head on down the road to the cabin, we see three people staggering up the road, laughing and giggling and both Peter and I look at each other and say OMG they are toasted. Sure enough they reach us and are completely done. I asked if they made supper and got the firm reply, do we look safe to be near a hot stove. Apparently shooters and ladders is a great game with Jagermeister. Getting back at the cabin, I make supper and discover Azshia flopped on her bed, Breanne not sure where she is, Josh on a waterboy challenge. Time to get food into their stomachs, lol.

Another nice evening around the campfire.

Day 3 (Sunday)

We were holding this day open because my Mom was supposed to come down for a visit but she never showed (very disappointing). Peter took Azshia and Josh out fishing and another first for the boy, he caught his very first rainbow trout. We are in there with his firsts in the outdoors and I think we have him on our side of the fence now, he caught his first sturgeon with us, shot a rifle with us for the first time, first time on a hunting trip last season and now first time rainbow trout. This makes Azshia extemely happy as she is an outdoor down home gal (wonder where she gets it from?)

After they come back in from fishing (oh Breanne is a tad hungover and taking her day very slow and sluggish), Peter and I decided to head out bear hunting again as with no Mom showing, we have opportunity to go.

This time we just headed on the quad, didn't need to load it in the truck and head out as we had a really good feeling about a new place to get into. Oh no here we go again, my butt hasn't recovered from the day before and I am back on it today. We are seeing once again, tons of signs of bears just no bears until we head into this nice soft trail, heading more into the forested area than the usual slashes you would see bears in. As we turn a slight corner on the trail, I see a little ball scurry up a tree and Peter, stops suddenly as he sees this incredible blue black fur with a lovely brown face and dark eyes, he quietly says bear, I said I know I seen it head up the tree, he says no big bear (I saw what he saw and just at that moment he saw what I saw). NO YOGI, this was CINDYBEAR and her baby. Dag nabbit, she was so beautiful standing approx 5 ft tall but her little cub was so small and fluffly. So I got to see a bear, not one I would be harvesting this time. We quickly turned and left as I know what I am like when someone gets to messin with my babies, didn't want to see what this momma was going to do as she ducked quickly and we lost sight of her.

We headed back to the cabin, in hopes that maybe another bear would pop up that I could harvest.

Another nice evening around the campfire.

Day 4 (Monday)

Azshia and Josh are leaving about 9 am. They decided if Grandma wasn't coming down to us, they would head up to visit Grandma for a little bit, then head home.

Peter has a date with Breanne, they have a place they both enjoy quading together and are taking the morning to explore some trails. I get the morning to relax and do nothing, which I take full advantage of. Snuggling up with my three poochies, and reading. It was nice to just have my time. Our dog Sissy (16 year old blue heeler) had not been herself the night before (we thought she may have had a stroke as she was just not her usual self) so spending some time with her was special to me. She seemed to perk up the next day, so we chalked it up to her old age and trying to keep up with Remington.

Later in the day, after Peter and Breanne return, he and I go fishing. It was quite funny as there is 2 gentlemen that are also up at their cabin, same time as us and they fish hard core. They both decided fishing was off this year so they pulled their boats out and called it quits. Just as Peter and I were heading out, they said there isnt any fish in there this time of year. HAHAHAHAHA snap in one hour, we had a kokanee and 7 rainbows (mine being the largest of the bunch, I must brag lol). Peter and I had 2 double headers, which is always exciting. We also lost a few. Knowing I had a promise to Breanne that we wouldnt be out too long so her and I could do some photos togther, we headed back in. Guess who is on the shore, waiting for us to see how we did? I guess they heard us woohoooooooooing. Yes, we shared our good fortune with the men in the next cabin, but you could tell they were not happy with themselves for quitting early. I reassured them both, that there were many days up here that they outfished us and shared their bounty so it was nice to reciprocate. Always a nice way for me to score a hug :).

Breanne and I had our little photo sesson, she wanted to be a wilderness ballerina, so we took a few beautiful pictures of her in her ballet point shoes.

We had our supper and I kicked Peter and Breannes' butts at scrabble. LOL

Bed early as we were heading home in the morning. Always a sad day when you have to pack up and leave.

Day 4 (Tuesday)

We were going to try and have breakfast or brunch with my Mom, but she was awol. We stopped in 100 mile at the red Coach Inn as they had a new restaurant in there called Red Rock Grill. It isnt bad for portion sizes but needs a little zest added to their food. Of course I had to give a few ideas to our server, how to flavour up a few dishes.

The drive home - sigh

All in all we had a glorious weekend away and I feel rejuvinated for now.

pictures will be posted but we now have 4 cameras to go through lol.

hugs
Ali

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 10:06 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5250115.jpg
our little home away from home (survived winter and trees blown over)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5240101.jpg
in his element
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5230064.jpg
Remington - first trip to the cabin (safe from Eagles)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5230063.jpg
Sissy - not sure how many more trips she has left in her (hoping quite a few)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5230062.jpg
Hunter - my beastie - contemplating jumping in the lake

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 10:12 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5220036.jpg
wow - bear paw against my hand
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/DSC_0031.jpg
Josh - first rainbow trout
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/DSC_0008.jpg
another view
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/32059_426043921022_570571022_604888.jpg
our wilderness ballerina

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/32059_426043826022_570571022_604887.jpg
her decision - water

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 10:19 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/32059_426043901022_570571022_604887.jpg
Wilderness Ballerina
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5240107.jpg
yum - rainbows
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/P5240105.jpg
Peter was so excited to get this kokanee

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
BC IS SO BEAUTIFUL
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/th_P5250127.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20May%20Long%20Weekend/?action=view&current=5a92e6fb.pbw)

hope you enjoy the slideshow of scenery

05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Great pics....Love the cabin. I hope one day my wife and myself will have something like that. I am sure any trip to that place is a good one!

Oh ya was there any doubt what the lab was going to choose!

Caribou_lou
05-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Great pics, those kokanee are some good eats. enjoy!

srupp
05-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Great get away ALLI...peaceful cabin...wonderful WONDERFUL familly..Peter has reverted back to whiskers and woodsman style...:mrgreen:some good fishing, ballerinas pets and a puppy in a handbag with handles..how eagle convenient...lol..

thanks

steven

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Great pics....Love the cabin. I hope one day my wife and myself will have something like that. I am sure any trip to that place is a good one!
Oh ya was there any doubt what the lab was going to choose!

It is my favourite getaway - we lease this cabin and feel very lucky to have it every year - this is going on 18 years :)

and as for Hunter - no never a doubt where she will end up - she sees the lake and jumps right in and stays til bedtime - funny she hasnt figureed out why she isnt allowed on our beds lol like the other 2 dogs lol

Great pics, those kokanee are some good eats. enjoy!
oh we enjoyed that kokanee - was a fine snack before dinner lol

Great get away ALLI...peaceful cabin...wonderful WONDERFUL familly..Peter has reverted back to whiskers and woodsman style...:mrgreen:some good fishing, ballerinas pets and a puppy in a handbag with handles..how eagle convenient...lol
thanks
steven

lol Steve, Remmy had his camoflauge on - that eagle couldnt see him lol

srupp
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
What we need to do is arrange for you and Peter to come a little further north for a few days..and I could show you some exellent bear locations...

Maybe even get Nick up here and get him his bear also..

cheers Srupp

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
thanks so much Steve - we will definitely look forward to visiting you and have Nick and Mike along as well - what a trip into the woods this could turn out to be. hehehehe

Fisher-Dude
05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
thanks so much Steve - we will definitely look forward to visiting you and have Nick and Mike along as well - what a trip into the woods this could turn out to be. hehehehe

Finally! You and Mikey are gettin' together! I knew true love would prevail! :smile:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Swede1.jpg

BimmerBob
05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Great story and pic's Alli, I was anticipating something in the killing zone but even without that your story and pics kept me well entertained. Nicely done!

srupp
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
And you guys REALLY DID catch KOKANEE..im impressed havnt done that in 30 years..great trip with familly cant be beat...

thanks friend

Steven

newhunterette
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Finally! You and Mikey are gettin' together! I knew true love would prevail! :smile:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Swede1.jpg

wrong Mike, there is no love for the Swede

Nick is Leaseman's son and Leaseman is the Mike I meant - good grief

hunter1947
05-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Very nice wright up Ali and thanks for sharring the pictures ,looks like you had the time you needed to relax..