PDA

View Full Version : skid plates

cavebear
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
has anybody tried these? They are a chest and under belly guard for hunting dogs. Any info would be great?

Chuck
05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
A good idea imo for bush dogs, also seen mini buoyancy suit for water dogs.

Spokerider
05-19-2010, 07:27 AM
As B&B said.......
Just something else for a branch to get caught on, with the possibility of trapping your dog in some nasty terrain unable to get out on it`s own.

moosetaken
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I would worry about the skid plate chaffing the dog. I had trouble with a regular harness for my gsp, a couple of hours and she was rubbed raw in a couple of spots.

Jimbo
05-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Never tried one, but seems like a good idea for bird hunting on the farms with barb wire fences. Had one dog come home with a nasty cut on his chest from a barb fence.

05-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Hunted behind dogs all my life for grouse. 25 years. Never had any need for a skid plate. My dog now is the most haywire freak show run about bird dog i've owned/ been around and he hasnt been in much trouble yet!
Take off their collar so they dont hang them selves and let'um rip!

But Jimbo does have something, I have never hunted farms. And Moosetaken as well. I bought a vest for Chase because he gets cold in the swamp, he got chaffed. This is my fault I should have payed more attention. He will still use it, but i will watch him more closely

BlacktailStalker
05-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Never had a problem with barb wire getting a dog where a vest would help.
One got a permanent racing stripe down the center of her head and he got this

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/HarloBarbwire.jpg

Not sure how 400lb bears get through so easily :confused:

Springer
05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I have always put a skid plate on my Springer. he goes through some nasty willows and crap hunting Pheasant. It also keeps the dog somewhat cleaner underneath so the cleanup of the hound when we get home is not such a chore.
You just have to make sure it fits and is adjusted correctly .