PDA

View Full Version : Ear Mites

field marshal
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Hello all;
Our 7 month old Lab has ear mites.
I've tried anti-biotic cream in his ear, but it only helps for a short time!
Any help will be greatly appreciated :-D
Thanks Field Marshal.

huntinnewbie
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
My understanding is they get ear mites from cats. Apparantly they don't bother the cats all that much but sure do if the dog gets them. So if you have cats you need to get them cleaned up first.
When we used to raise rabbits we just used mineral oil for ear mites and it worked great.
Lots of over the counter ear mite medications available.

silvertipp
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
if i rememeber my mom would use crisco oil or olive oil it clears them up real quick if you have a seringe just a little i/4 ounce be careful not to put any pressure behind it and rub the ear together when your done itll bug the dog for a few minutes but heel get over it

mark
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
My pup had them too at about 5 months, we got some kind of oil that worked well also. he sure didnt like it at first though!

regoc
05-18-2010, 11:10 PM
You must treat both of yours animals, cat and dog, for about ten days. To clean ears,use "Avena Sativa" natural ear cleaner for cats and dogs. If you can not find it at your vetrinarian clinic, use baby oil...put few drops into ear canal, (not to much;few drops in each ear will do), gently rub ears and clean them with kleenex. Let it dry, and put couple drops of "Surolan" cream in each ear, massage them and let cream there. Do it twice daily, and it will do the job. After that clean ears once a week regularly...

Kasomor
05-19-2010, 12:59 AM
By your post this has been going on for a while.

Your pup may have not only mites but a yeast infection as well. Ears maybe so inflamed deep down, which you can't see, that not only is meds to kill the mites and/or yeast needed but something for the inflammation as well.

Sorry but I'd be taking your pup to a vet and getting it treated properly.

Once it is cleared up, THEN you can clean his ears on a regular basis so he doesn't get mites again.

Regards,
Kasomor

Cdn-Redneck
05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
My Golden retriever gets yeast infections in her ears and we use Surolan to clear that up. My cat had mites in his ears and the vet used Advantage (the drops) on him and it killed the mites right away. Floppy ears are a job to look after.