PDA

View Full Version : considering the rifle to bow switcharoo???

mbariesheff
05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
So I have been considering the switch from rifle hunting to bow hunting, only I don't really know how to get started.
-which bow to buy?? start with a very aggressive bow or ease into bow hunting???
-what techniques/animals to start out hunting etc.

I don't expect anyone to give me all there secrets but any kind of strategies or tips would be a great help.
If I have heard correctly this switch is the right choice and very addicting...

thanks in advance for all your help!!!

ruger#1
05-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Do not get rid of your rifles in case you do not like the bow hunting experience. It almost happened to me. I'm glad some good people talked me out of it.

Mik
05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
My philosophy is.... I haven't shot enough animals with my rifle yet! I love to whack them! See emgo down and if the thrill of the hunt is still there, then there is no need for a bow!!! Itried bow hunting, 9 years ago, went out bought a bow, practiced and got pretty darn close to some animals, even took lessons at Boormans archery, Never did enjoy it, still have the bow and maybe one day I'll take it up again.If you reallywant a challenge, crawl/call the animals in close and then whack em with your rifle, I guarantee you will have the same thrill. Some will beg to differ.... But so what.... Lol opinions are like azzholes.... Everybody's got one..... Here's mine, haha

Ddog
05-16-2010, 05:35 PM
One thing i have learned about bow hunting the past close to 20 yrs, is that a lot of people that go from gun to bow often switch back and only use the bow during the bow seasons, reason being is that a lot of animals that you let walk away at 60 yards you know would have been dead if you had a gun, also i have seen some real trophy animals at that distance plus a hundred or two that also could have been easily taken with a gun.
Heres a little advice, do not get rid of your guns if you do not have the discipline to not shoot outside your range, which means you may not be able to be accurate at 40 yards and have to let that big once in a lifetime animal walk away. I have let numerous monsters go over the past seasons.

That being said, if you still want to give it a go and feel you can and do have the discipline, look at spending up to $300 - $600 for a bow and then another few hundred for accessories, this way you will have a great bow, that wont need upgrading in a year or so down the road, if you so decide to stay with it.
There are lots of bows on the market that are in that range and are tried tested and true, Now you need someone with some experience to help you out, one on one is the best, Since i do not know where you live i cant help or point you in the right direction.
Someone to help you with your draw length (outstretched arms finger tip to finger tip divided by 2.5) and then there are lots of variances in which arrows and accessories to get.
i suggest your local bow shop. One on One is the best

Bowzone_Mikey
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
where are you ... then maybe some of us can suggest a shop for you to check out

ROEBUCK
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
[quote=Ddog;678314]One thing i have learned about bow hunting the past close to 20 yrs, is that a lot of people that go from gun to bow often switch back and only use the bow during the bow seasons, reason being is that a lot of animals that you let walk away at 60 yards you know would have been dead if you had a gun, also i have seen some real trophy animals at that distance plus a hundred or two that also could have been easily taken with a gun.

X2

i bow hunt in the bow season, and the early fall bear season and the doe season ,that way i have my rifle with me when i hunt the rut, im looking for a spring bear with my bow now as ive shot a bear with the rifle allready!!
practice practice practice before you hunt with your bow!!

Big Lew
05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I switched from rifle to compound bow but kept the guns. I still will go out with a rifle if a rifle hunter (such as a brother) invites me along. The first few years are the worst though because you will see many fine bucks either out of your shooting range, standing behind branches or high grass, or not giving you a decent broadside shot. It takes a lot of self control not to try a "hale Mary" shot, especially knowing they are an easy kill with a gun. For probably the first 5-6 years I would see about 7 bucks each year before taking my shot. As your archery skill and stalking skill improves, so will your success ratio.

Bow Walker
05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
I made the mistake - years ago - of selling off all my hunting guns after a few seasons hunting with my bow. Now I have a rifle again (actually, 2 rifles) and am happier as I live to shoot.

That being said, I've only gun-hunted 3, maybe 4 times in the past 3 years. Still love the bow and the "up-close-and-personal" aspect of bowhunting. This past season was the first time that I'd managed to tag out, using only my bow, and I've been bow hunting for about 12 - 15 years now.

The advice that I have to offer is for you to seriously look at a "package deal" for a bow. It'll give you just about everything you need to go bow hunting and it won't break the bank.

Package deals start with a serious bow and then use second-line accessories (rather than top of the line accessories), which doesn't mean that those second line accessories are crap. It just means that after a year or three, you'll probably want to upgrade the accessories, but the bow won't need upgrading unless you're the type to want new stuff every other year.

My bow was new in '06 and it'll be "just fine, thank you" for the foreseeable future. It's a Diamond Liberty, which incorporates the newer parallel limb technology. This "new" technology makes the bow very easy to draw, very easy and comfortable to shoot, and best of all it's a a bow that is going to last me for a long, long time to come.

Do some "online research" and go for the best bang for your buck. You won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, post up your location. There's probably someone who'll be able to provide that one-on-one coaching that is so helpful. At the very least, we can point you in the direction of a good bow shop.

05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I hunt with rifle and bow. I still really enjoy rifle hunting (in fact, just bought a new one), but find the challenge of bow hunting addicting. I took my first whitetail with a bow last fall. It was the smallest whitetail I've ever killed, but I think more about that hunt than any other...I still get a little adrenaline rush thinking about the day.

As for getting into archery, I would spend some time at a pro shop. You will get great advise and avoid many frustrations.

urbanhermit
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
[quote=325;679149]I hunt with rifle and bow. I still really enjoy rifle hunting (in fact, just bought a new one), but find the challenge of bow hunting addicting. I took my first whitetail with a bow last fall. It was the smallest whitetail I've ever killed, but I think more about that hunt than any other...I still get a little adrenaline rush thinking about the day.

i got my first deer with a bow 2 seasons ago, a big doe, I still think about that day, oddly even more than the two 160+ class mulies i got with a rifle. Thats what so great about hunting, everyone is different and they get different things out of it. Have fun!