PDA

View Full Version : Goose population control meeting for South Vancouver Island

Marc
05-16-2010, 07:41 AM
There is going to be a meeting this Wed the 19th of May for 7:00pm at the Nanaimo Fish and Game about issues with the resident Canada Geese population on the South Island. The BCWF representative for region 1 will be in attendance and we will be discussing possible solutions and voicing our opinion about not supporting a cull or addling eggs.

It should be an informative meeting with topics of discussion to possibly more access, hunting within town limits in some areas, longer seasons to target resident geese, and possibly bigger limits during early and late season to try and cut the numbers of resident geese down. For those of you who have been having troubles getting permission to hunt on private land or just getting into the sport I ask that you show up and support the BCWF and Waterfowl hunters as a whole. It would also be nice to put some faces to some names on here as well.

If you plan on attending please post up and let me know. See you all there!

Thanks,

Marc.

boxhitch
05-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Don't rule out the egg addling. It has had a positive effect here in the north Okanagan
But more hunting opps are always better.

HuntNHookSports
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
How late does trap and skeet practice go on Wednesdays?
Will I be able to bust a few clays before the meeting?

Marc
05-16-2010, 12:16 PM
How late does trap and skeet practice go on Wednesdays?
Will I be able to bust a few clays before the meeting?

Not sure how long the trap and skeet stay open till. I wish I didn't work all the ways in Esquimalt or I'd try and meet up with you for a round or two before the meeting.

fowl language
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
this meeting is to get ideas on how to gain more hunting oppurtunities.i will be making a presentation to the watershed commity the following day and there will be people there from victoria to campbell river. here is your chance to change the things that are blocking your goose hunting, and give you more oppurtunities.the bcwf will have a full represenitive presence and that is a big help.here,s your chance fella,s make the best of it....fowl

Chessieguy
05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Would love to attend, but dont become a "local" till May 31st...

Good luck with the meetings

Tanya
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
How did it go? We are doing grass silage, so there was no way John could get up there in time.

303Brit
05-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Ya how did it go, I was stuck at work unfortunately

fowl language
05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
i,ll let field marshall and marc comment as i,d like to hear their thought,s....fowl

field marshal
05-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Fowl I was very impressed with your no bullshit approach to outlining the facts as you see them!! You obviously have had a lot of exsperience in these matters. What is more heartening, is the obvious success you've had dealing with all levels of governments concerning these issues. The communities you've won over sound very grateful. With you and the B.C.W.F. in our corner, I think it will succeed here on the Island. Would like to hear how you and B.C.W.F. rep. made out at your meeting the next day with local municipal reps.??? I was not impressed with the piss poor showing of local waterfowlers :confused: You guys want opportunities??? GET OFF
YOUR ASSES and GET INVOLVED!!!!

Cheers, Field Marshal.

field marshal
05-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Fowl; forgot to thank you and all the reps. for your excellent presentation, well done!
Cheers , Field Marshal.

Marc
05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I was hoping to hear how you made out with the other meeting Fowl.

The discussion was very informative, we had farmers who went into the meeting who where denying hunters access to hunting on their land to seriously thinking about allowing them back on with what the BCWF had to put on the table.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag until everything is in place but the meeting was extremely informative and to the point. What happened at the meeting the day after is what I'd like to hear about. What was the outcome Fowl?

fowl language
05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
well gang, i,d like to first thank all the gang from here that came to the meeting,your local knowledge was very valuable in later meetings.i,ve been asked to keep a lid on the outdoor passport till we get all the legaleze out of the way,just to keep the questions down,the outdoor passport should give us more access to lands to hunt.that was the first time the outdoor passport was rolled out and we got a possitive response at both meetings.i think we have to think of as many ways to maximize opurtunities that we can as it,s not like the prairies.so this is what we have to push. pr. is the best way to increase access and the land owner needs to feel that he has control of his land and who uses it.....as for the meeting in duncan. i felt we had a good meeting with everyone there except the bureaucrats who seemed to want to form a sub committee to form a committee,i don,t get that type of people.the important people that were there got it so i guess it was a success.the min. of ag,s guy was on board the councillor from duncan was on board as was the park ranger and the farmer from the area.the rest were kinda in la la land but i feel it was a success in other ways. ted brookman is planning to have more meetings on this issue and we,ll so were it goes......fowl