PDA

View Full Version : Very cool GPS/SPOT combo unit

Gateholio
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.delorme.com/media/Product_Information/DeLorme_PN60w_SPOT_FactSheet.pdf

http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/SPOTcommunicator.htm

mark
05-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Cool gadget, would be really cool if it also had google earth!
Ill wait till next year when the price is down to $99.

reach
05-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Excellent! Finally, the ability to compose your own text messages to send.

I hope they come out with a Garmin version.

srupp
05-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I will be getting some more info on these units in the next week or 2..

Not sure about Garmin...as Globalstar owns the satalights..but I will check..

Steven Rupp

I spot rep

Rock Doctor
05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Finally.
I've been waiting for this.

RD

Poguebilt
05-16-2010, 01:30 PM
I couldn't see a price?

Gateholio
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't see a price, either, but I hope it's under $1000:mrgreen:

Lone Ranger
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Once they add in an FRS radio like some of the mainstream units, you'd have the ultimate GPS unit. I've never thought having an FRS unit being built in as being 'useful', but seeing the other units in action made me rethink it - you can 'beam' your coordinates to another unit within range, makes them useful when your hunting party splits up so you can see exactly where everyone else is without radioing each other and spooking the game, making for safer shooting. Goinna cost some serious $$ though for a while. LR

gamer
05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Prices should be reasonable. The Delorme units themselves are decently priced (250-450 IIRC)and subscription is only around thirty a year.

BlacktailStalker
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I would use caution if its globalstar... their sat phones are shit. Funny they would try to launch something when they are already notorious for offering other inferior services/products that work off satellites.
As far as satellite services go Iridium is the company to go with.

Gateholio
05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Globalstar has been having some good success with thier SPOT line up.

I think it's thier attempt to get value from thier satellites, which don't seem reliable for phones.

BlacktailStalker
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
If it works thats good.
I told myself I'd buy one when I can customize my messages sent, I never read the link but recieving a message would be cool too, howver I imagine a lot of spur of the moment ending trips will become a fact of life for some who married wenches :lol:

bigwhiteys
05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I told myself I'd buy one when I can customize my messages sent, I never read the link but recieving a message would be cool too,

Some kind of two-way text sat messaging device would be awesome. This little unit itself doesn't look too bad. Would eliminate having to use 2 seperate units, reducing weight for a backpacker. As of now I carry a SPOT and a Garmin 60csx.

Carl

Ponderosa
05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Amozon has them, says they will be available in June. $549.99. Might just have to try one out.

bigwhiteys
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Amozon has them, says they will be available in June. $549.99. Might just have to try one out.
If that's the price then I am going to sell my Garmin 60csx and my SPOT then I'll buy that.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
05-18-2010, 11:34 AM
What mapping does it use? Mapsource is by far the best. If its google earth they need an update, its a joke what they show and don't show(roads and cut blocks) around here. I figure Google earth has less than 70% of what the current access really is here and much of what they do show is all grown in, which would be evident on the imagery.

bigwhiteys
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
What mapping does it use? Mapsource is by far the best. If its google earth they need an update, its a joke what they show and don't show(roads and cut blocks) around here. I figure Google earth has less than 70% of what the current access really is here and much of what they do show is all grown in, which would be evident on the imagery.
Google has updated quite a bit of high res imagery on the island recently. Some photos as recent as 2010.

Carl

BiG Boar
05-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't be fooled. The customizable text MSG is something you set up while setting up your unit online. You can't create new ones in the field. Unless you have Internet access and a computer. I was fooled by this new feature on the new spot. Really this doest replace a sat phone. If you want to comunicate. Though I'm sure it's not 5 years away.

ryanb
05-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Bigbore14, this is not a SPOT. It is a new unit that allows freeform text messages (ie. You can write whatever you want on the unit and then send it).

For the price though, you are approaching the price of a satellite phone. While the sat phone may not have the GPS functionality, you can send AND receive text messages, and of course make calls.

It may be of interest to those badmouthing Globalstar to know that the SPOT devices use a completely different system on the globalstar satellites that has not been affected by the degraded performance affecting voice communications. The system uses the simplex (one way) data system which is completely separate and unaffected. Unfortunately, the problems with their duplex (two way voice AND data) systems means that a device that can send AND receive text messages is not likely to be forthcoming until they resolve these issues or a competing provider offers such a device.

srupp
06-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Good point about the duplex/simplex sides of "the system..however Delorme is noted to be most EXELLENT GPS..IN THE USA they have all sorts of mapping software(their forte )hybrid mapping et etc etc however it IS limited to the USA,not much help with a moose hunt in Northern BC, however they are rated top of the list Best buy for Gps ..and I am sold on SPOT..they have delivered 100% of what they promised..reliable, rugged,..

will see what comes down the pipe regarding this new unit..60..

steven

Spot Canada pro Staff Rep

hunter1947
06-10-2010, 03:03 AM
I guess I bought my spot a bit to early :icon_frow but then again with the one I got it will still help me out in an emergence http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

darrin6109
08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
anyone bought one of these units yet?

Gateholio
11-14-2010, 09:49 AM
More info

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/06/delorme-and-spot-handheld-gps-meets-satellite-communication/

For those interested in Canadian data, we’ve already released our 1:50K Canadian Topo Sheets dataset that provides topographic maps to go along with the street level detail found in Topo USA. Adding the worldwide aerial imagery subscription will provide a great variety of maps for those looking to explore in Canada

Gateholio
11-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Cool gadget, would be really cool if it also had google earth!
Ill wait till next year when the price is down to $99.

While I’m talking about the new hardware and firmware features I also need to mention some very exciting data features that will be appearing at the same time as the PN-60w and SPOT release. DeLorme will be creating a new map subscription level through NetLink offering aerial imagery for the world along with the ability to purchase sections of our new world vector base map. This will allow subscribers to download high detail aerial imagery like that used by Google and Microsoft for anywhere in the world and then combine that imagery with 1:250K worldwide vector map data.

500grhollowpoint
11-14-2010, 10:03 AM
I'll be getting one when they drop to $300. That will be right after they make the one that recieves texts.

pearljam
11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Still love my original SPOT.... It has worked 100% of the time so far, I dont want the ability for people to contact me, im in the bush for a reason, to get away from it all, But thats just me. Same reason I got rid of my cell phone 3 years ago.

srupp
11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
As a SPOT rep..I need to tread cautiously on thin ice here..

The 2 gen SPOT are awesome with very high reliability..same or better that gen 1 with more features saftey preventions from accidental send of undesired messages..

HOWEVER THE DELORME units are still too new IMHO to jump on the band wagon...they offer some new ideas..but WHENEVER there is a marriage of 2 companies using software there will be a learning curve and early adopters usually dont fare so well...prices fall..2nd gen corrects unforseen interference of the 2 systems.

I also am NOT sold on the CANADIAN MAPPING software..it isnt their BEST they can offer and not as good as their USA mapping in spite of sales wording..:wink:

I do have some scheduled meetings with this product before January..

will keep all informed..main concerns are GEN1 AND MAPPING..

steven
SPOT pro staff

Gunner
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I have this unit,my sister got it for me cause she thinks I'm too old to hunt by myself!I'm still figuring it out,it has a lot of options.I used it in Montana and downloaded the 1:24000 BLM maps,they were awesome.I've down loaded the 1:50,000 Canadian Topo maps but have not had a chance to play with them yet,and have not tried texting with the SPOT yet.All in all it looks like a first class unit. Gunner

srupp
11-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Gunner the quality WILL be awesome I agree and the USA maps offer some exciting options with amazing detail and constant upgrading..

my only "questions"

1 the interface with SPOT...seemless integration???

2) Canadian mapping..:mrgreen:..

I agree IF the got it right..I too will be onboard..

Steven

Gunner
11-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Steven,it seems to be no problem with integration once the 2 units are paired,which is quite simple(even I can do it!).Canadian mapping is 1:50,000 government topo,as you said I would like to see better than that.There seems to be the possibilty of loading other maps(Backroads,etc.)but I still have to investigate that,I don't have the electronic knowhow that you do!The aerial photo layering is cool.By the way,did you get my PM?:mrgreen: Cheers Gunner

srupp
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
No I did not get any PM...:confused:

I agree the layering and ability to selectivly turn some aspects on and off..choose the layers you want..

Yes the I SPOT will work..but all the time????just a question when 2 seperate companies are involved.....

So far the LOWRANCE mapping TOP is significantly better..but we shall see..

Steven

Gunner
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I would probably have bought a Garmin and the SPOT seperately,but the sister saw the pair and was all over them!Some friends of ours that prospect in Peru were supplied these units by their company and they like them.Gunner

islandarcher
11-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I had a Spot 1, dropped and now it doesn't work. I think for now I will jus tpick up a Spot 2. I'll wait a few years before jumping on this Delorme unit. I considered picking one up, wife was ready to buy me one, but I don't really like that it is comprised of two pieces. Hopefully they will find a way to intergrate it all into one unit rather than having to pack to individual pieces of kit.