PDA

View Full Version : sumas meats

marbles67
05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
I wast going to post a rant about this pr@ck in the valley but Im pissed,I brought him a bear going on two weeks ago My first bear, I passed on 2 bigger bears to get the perfect meat bear(my friend is an avid hunter and was helping me out)our regular butcher in mission was sick and we looked in our synopsis and we picked them out.he wasnt there on the sunday his sister in law was she said he would be back monday night I called tuesday and I said how are you ect could you please make sausge ect I asked would it be a week or two??he said no, probably friday or saturday,fast forward I write a deal on a property I have two ,kids small kids ,sumas meats wasnt on my mind until thursday and I called and that frigging di@k head berated for not coming and getting my bear,I mean he didnt even call me,now my wife is afraid of even getting the meat not to mention he hung up on me,I worked for 4 hours after I got this bear and I now have nothing Im afriad to go there not for me but for him,DONT USE THIS GUY HE HAS NO RIGHT TO ACT THE WAY HE DID,Im not a panzy trust me ,Im a tradesman and I have been abused by the best and have very thick skin but when someone who is providing a service does this crap he deserves to be called out

c.r.hunter
05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Huh? What did he do? Confusing post...

marbles67
05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
he yelled at me on the phone ranted about never making me sausgae again??and then he hung up

fowl language
05-14-2010, 09:21 PM
i,ve been dealing there for 10 or more years and never had a moments grief with him,usually close to on time and we have both bent our schedule to accombidate. i think that he,s just fine...fowl

bear buster
05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe he is busy and needs the room in freezer, shaould have maybe checked with him on friday if he said it would be ready then insted of waiting a week till the following thursday? just my 2 cents.

ElectricDyck
05-14-2010, 09:35 PM
No soup for you! Next!

I took 2 deer to him before I started cutting my own and didn't have a problem, but I've heard others have, do a search on here it's been talked about before.

Jelvis
05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Maybe he was upset at you for something, the way you said it to him.
.. he could have had a busy time and in a hurry
.. you were in a big hurry then came later so he figures what?
If your scared to go there get someone to pick it up for you
Not worth having a stroke over imho
Jel .. forgive and forget some people think he's great, some do, some don't, same in the loops some love a shop and some don't.

c.r.hunter
05-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Hmm,
Well, I've heard lots of good & some bad from there. I've had nothing but good experience with Kurt myself. Good service when I lived over there. Since I moved to the island, I've had him make me sausage several times. I've phoned with short notice on my way up country hunting several times. He's allowed me to drop off trim after midnight and had my sausage ready for me on my way home a week later. I don't know, my experience has been good. He makes some of the best sausage around IMO. The best bet is to learn to process your own meat. I've always cut my own meat and used to get my sausage made. I've learned to make my own sausage and it's not hard. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Buckmaster
05-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I have been using him for about 10 years now as well and he's been great. Runs a clean place and great service.
Maybe he was just busy or maybe he was calling the wrong number when trying to get a hold of you????

NaStY
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
he yelled at me on the phone ranted about never making me sausage again??and then he hung up

Just freeze the meat next time and take it to mission. Thats what I do now....
Kurt is NOT a guy to get stuff done from or at the very least, I never will.....

PressurePoint
05-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Shit even if the guys a dick his products are awesome. I think he yells at the meat in the cooler to tenderize it. Mmmmmm angry flavor.

EvanG
05-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Try griffin meats in mission, take all my stuff to him when im down there.

TheDuckinator
05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I have nothing but good things to say about them! Were you dealing with the young guy or his father? Either way EXCELLENT product and they've always been great with me and my father, and they make hams that will absolutely blow your minds!

CanuckShooter
05-15-2010, 06:06 AM
I wast going to post a rant about this pr@ck in the valley but Im pissed,I brought him a bear going on two weeks ago My first bear, I passed on 2 bigger bears to get the perfect meat bear(my friend is an avid hunter and was helping me out)our regular butcher in mission was sick and we looked in our synopsis and we picked them out.he wasnt there on the sunday his sister in law was she said he would be back monday night I called tuesday and I said how are you ect could you please make sausge ect I asked would it be a week or two??he said no, probably friday or saturday,fast forward I write a deal on a property I have two ,kids small kids ,sumas meats wasnt on my mind until thursday and I called and that frigging di@k head berated for not coming and getting my bear,I mean he didnt even call me,now my wife is afraid of even getting the meat not to mention he hung up on me,I worked for 4 hours after I got this bear and I now have nothing Im afriad to go there not for me but for him,DONT USE THIS GUY HE HAS NO RIGHT TO ACT THE WAY HE DID,Im not a panzy trust me ,Im a tradesman and I have been abused by the best and have very thick skin but when someone who is providing a service does this crap he deserves to be called out

Don't be afraid, leave the wife at home go get your meat, and don't use the guy again. :-D Smile be happy....it isn't worth stressing over, let him get the ulcer!!

Dirty
05-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Watch out, I heard his son is a crazy Ninja. Seriously.

The Hermit
05-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Sounds like he was pissed because you left the meat longer than expected. Butchers usually have limited space to store game. Did you agree to pick it up at a certain time/day? If so and he was expecting a big delivery and didn't have room he would have a right to be pissed. Yelling at you was kinda stupid but waiting to get the meat will only make matters worse. Go get it, apologize for any part you had in the situation, and find another butcher.

coach
05-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Sometimes people just say mean, awful things. Maybe this will help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzSYMHRHP4

ruger#1
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
I won't deal with the. A double s hole, Had him do some bear hams for us once. They had brown bloches on the meat .We asked him what it was and he had a shit fit. Want less hasle, do your own meat butchering.

kgs
05-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I had a similar issue with Chilako meats here in prince george. They burnt my pepperoni so that it was hard on the outside and my jerky was tasteless with no flavor. I was confused as my deer weighed 99lbs with bone. and I recieved 81lbs of meat back seemed like a lot. none of it was sealed in air tight bags. They were in large plastic bags that were half filled with snow when I question this the guy just kept saying this is your meat take or leave. The last thing was the quoted price it had jumped in price by 70 bucks. Long story short I will never go back to him again I feel he is dishonest. I should note that other meat cutters I have gone to in pg have been great no problems at all. I would go get your meat and never go back. These butchers need to know we are there bread and butter its all about customer service and if they can't deliver that then they lose business and smear their reputation.

marbles67
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Watch out, I heard his son is a crazy Ninja. Seriously.
thats pretty good hope its true lol

marbles67
05-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Sometimes people just say mean, awful things. Maybe this will help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzSYMHRHP4hope this is directed at me pal first off Im not some duece that cant stand up for himself I was merley pointing out something to whom ever has had a problem with this dick head if you havent then beat it!Hope I didnt hurt you with my words:mrgreen:

pupper
05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Shit even if the guys a dick his products are awesome. I think he yells at the meat in the cooler to tenderize it. Mmmmmm angry flavor.

Thats funny.

Regarding Sumas meats, I have never had a problem with them but I have heard countless stories of Kurt yelling at people or being disrespectful to women. The only thing I am not crazy about is their cleanliness. There is always flies buzzing around and the shop looks dirty. But his son Ulrich is a nice guy.

marbles67
05-15-2010, 12:17 PM
anyways it doesnt matter I just hope when new hunters or new to the arae pull up threads looking for a butcher they can make there chioce based on other peoples results,he can keep them meat I hope he chokes on it,I will report to a feew different agencieseven if mothing happens they will at least have heard of his name and if he does it again maybe they will close him down Its the nicest thing I could for him on such short notice=)

bforce750
05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Dont Worry,he's just an old crout,litterally!!!! He makes good stuff,if you get it all back,we gave up on him after a few years.My inlaws deer went missing from there.Not to mention we shot a moose and ate the tenderloins in camp,then magically we had tenderloins in our meat agian when we got it back.THE GUY IS A FOOL!!!!!

tim3500
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Had the best farmers sausage ever from him he called me and i was on the the way home and picked it up was fresh out of the smoker still warm man did that smell great but kurt personal message KLEEN UP YOUR SHOP I DO NOT TOLERATE FLIES OR A DIRTY FLOOR I found a guy in Chilliwack very clean and you get your meet back Summas is renound for MYSTERY MEAT but it taste good always been good to me

abbyfireguy
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I have been into Sumas Meats a few times over the years to chat briefly about getting game cut. I don't waste his time and only spend a few minutes and ask very specific questions on how he likes the meat to arrive and how I can make his job easiest.
I found him quite cranky most of the times and will not be doing any business with him ever.
Been at this sport way too long to have it ruined in the final phase by cranky people who are up one moment and down the next and who think its ok to speak to me any dam way as the mood strikes them!
I'll stick with Larry at Weymouth's until he totally quits cutting. I always find him friendly. I go out of my way to trreat him politely and bring him spotless skinned and bagged quarters.
I wonder if Kurt was on Krak the times I spoke with him.:? He sure was an angry man!! Yikes..:rolleyes:

marbles67
05-15-2010, 02:47 PM
yeah I hear ya abby fire guy Im a service tech with good communication skills if they had ever said once,hey if you dont pick up your meat because you never know it might be ready,and if you dont phone I will threatenect I would have done so ,Im just glad the save on foods butcher is nicer lol

Ddog
05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
you know whats funny,, i used Kurt for years in the beginning of my hunting career to the middle of it, never had a problem with him, then one day in Spring i got a real good bear up in Skagit. On the way home i called him up and asked if he had some room for my bear and he started yelling at me and basically told me to F-OFF a couple of times during the phone-call and after the second or third F-BOMB directed at me i hung up wondering if i had the right number. Kurt was always welcoming to me and always some of the best sausages ever made from any butcher.
i do not know what happened to him that evening but i never went back.

ve7iuq
05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
There are two sides to every story.
And so far, we have only herd one side.
In court, that would be like the case going to the jury, before they heard from the defence.

coach
05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
hope this is directed at me pal first off Im not some duece that cant stand up for himself I was merley pointing out something to whom ever has had a problem with this dick head if you havent then beat it!Hope I didnt hurt you with my words:mrgreen:

Dude - lighten up! Every time I hear about some guy losing it like this, in the back of my mind, I hear Sol Rosenburg complaining about being hurt by somebody's words. I guess it's because I've listened to the Jerky Boys too many times while driving back and forth from hunting trips. I was adding a little humor to the situation. Even you have to admit, that prank call was pretty funny..

It does sound like you've had really bad customer service from this butcher while at the same time a lot of guys have had good success with him. I'm sure all of us have run into lots of people in life who are good at their jobs but have zero people skills. Often guys like that fly off the handle this easily don't even remember that they've done it. I'm sure it's bothering you more than him.

I had heard good things about his place before, but your post would make me think twice before taking anything to him. I've had a few bad experiences with butchers myself. Only when I started doing my own animals, did I even realize that moose and deer actually have tenderloins :?. Far too often butchers give you back someone else' animal. There's been posts about it on here before. Your heads up is appreciated.

I hope you are going to post the aftermath of this story. What happened when you did pick up the meat? Did he do a good job? Would you overlook his idiotic behavior on the phone and take anything to him again?

marbles67
05-15-2010, 05:07 PM
hope this is directed at me pal first off Im not some duece that cant stand up for himself I was merley pointing out something to whom ever has had a problem with this dick head if you havent then beat it!Hope I didnt hurt you with my words:mrgreen:

Dude - lighten up! Every time I hear about some guy losing it like this, in the back of my mind, I hear Sol Rosenburg complaining about being hurt by somebody's words. I guess it's because I've listened to the Jerky Boys too many times while driving back and forth from hunting trips. I was adding a little humor to the situation. Even you have to admit, that prank call was pretty funny..

It does sound like you've had really bad customer service from this butcher while at the same time a lot of guys have had good success with him. I'm sure all of us have run into lots of people in life who are good at their jobs but have zero people skills. Often guys like that fly off the handle this easily don't even remember that they've done it. I'm sure it's bothering you more than him.

I had heard good things about his place before, but your post would make me think twice before taking anything to him. I've had a few bad experiences with butchers myself. Only when I started doing my own animals, did I even realize that moose and deer actually have tenderloins :?. Far too often butchers give you back someone else' animal. There's been posts about it on here before. Your heads up is appreciated.

I hope you are going to post the aftermath of this story. What happened when you did pick up the meat? Did he do a good job? Would you overlook his idiotic behavior on the phone and take anything to him again?
my apologies coach it was actually funny going back and reading,I wont know if its good the told me not to come,so I wont,I will not trespass on someones property where Im not wanted,man I didnt start anything,if I pushed back at the guy with a calm firm response and he settled down this post would not be there anywyas,it doesnt matter I just learned a valuable lesson thats the way it goes at least I have pics of my hunt that will do...

Jelvis
05-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Now everyone will want to go to Sumas Meats, just to check it out.
Any advertising is good lol ...
Jel /// Sumas Mountains got game ... Big bears and nice blacktailed deer ..

abbyfireguy
05-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Everyones going to Sumas Meats??? Not bloody likely.
I think I'll go somewhere where the propriater doesn't have multiple personalities depending on who walks through the door. I get yelled at enough without paying someone to do that.
He's lucky he's his own boss,if I pulled that kind of dog crap at work I'd get fired immediately.

Ritalin here we come!!:mrgreen:

Jelvis
05-15-2010, 07:25 PM
If you worked with blood and head cheese all day you'd be nucking futs too lol...
Jelly head cheese

Crazy_Farmer
05-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Haha its so funny to read all these posts. I can remember phone calls going back lots of years when my dad would bring in duck/geese meat to him for sausage. The phone calls would go something like, "Hi your meat is ready for pickup" Hang up lol I'd just laugh and tell dad the orders ready and we'd hop over to go get it. And I agree on his shop....one of a kind lol.

redthorn
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
The first deer my brother shot we brought there. We had dressed it and cleaned it and had painstakingly picked off all the deer hair from it. It was a 1x2 muley in full velvet, that had bang-flopped, not taken off on adrenaline or anything like that....

Piss off #1
The box of meat came back really light for an animal that had 1 clean shot through the ribs and no shoulder damage.(At the time we suspected it, but after doing our own butchering we're fairly certain now...)

Piss off #2
The steaks and roasts were just polluted with deer hair....(huh? The thing had no hide and hair on it when it went in...)

Piss off #3
With the exception of 2 packs of meat, it was the toughest, rankest deer we've had to this day. Fairly odd for a young, pre-rut deer that had been shot late friday afternoon, hung ovenight, and delivered to Kurt early Saturday morning...

Piss off #4
Considering I was bringing him business(Youth season, September 4, loads of cooler/freezer space available when we carried it in) he was one snappy, rude guy.

I have met and talked with a butcher who claims to have worked with Kurt before and couldn't do it anymore. I told him about that deer and he said the way it is done there is they'll take 4-5 deer down off the racks, cut and wrap all the steaks and throw them in a pile, then do all the roasts, then do all the ribs and then take the packages and roughly divide them back up in relation to the size of the animals... Maybe he was lying to me being a disgruntled ex employee and all, but it seemed to match my experience.

So anyways, we built our own cooler, hired a butcher from safeway to teach us to cut one evening, and do it all ourselves now.(except for Sausage, which we just send all the trim in to Davis meats for. Have yet to be disappointed with their product...)

marbles67
05-15-2010, 08:32 PM
ok so its not just me lol,I will try and get another bear this year

Mtn Wonderer
05-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I have never taken anything to Kurt in the spring, but many times in the fall. I think he does good work, and he definitely makes good sausage.

I can't prove anything, on not getting my own meat back, but I have heard stories. Maybe that's all they are stories he has managed to stay in the biz for along time.

MTW

wolverine
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Kurt has been my butcher for over 20 years and I have no real complaints with hm at all. In the busy season you should call in before you get there to ensure he has room for you and when he takes your game and says it will be ready for you to pick up in 5 days be there. Don't show up a week later. He has a relatively small locker and in the busy season you cost him money if he has to store it. Screaming at you and hanging up seems a little on the harsh side but hey.... he's German... don't piss the guy off. ( BTW I'm German too so I can get away with saying that. ) Go get your meat. Pay him. Apologize for being late and never go back if you think he's being unreasonable. But by you're own admission... you were late, he wasn't.

Muleycatcher
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I have taken a few deer to him and have never had a problem..He makes kick ass sausage!!. Brought two deer to him late in the evening and he waited up for me. He has always been friendly to me and happy to have my business.

Sounds like you had a bad experience..that's too bad.

gutpile
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
does kurt have a meat store in chilliwack ? reason im asking there is a butcher on railway avenue that sounds like kurt.

hillclimber
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
My dad has been going to Kurt for who knows how many years. He makes good sausage but if you don't like the way he treated you or whatever just go somewhere else it isn't rocket science. Go to any German butcher shop or deli or whatever and ask them if they can make you sausage and it'll taste awesome.

afors
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Go get the your animal and never go back to him. After all - You shot it.

Cdn-Redneck
05-16-2010, 06:52 AM
I just take my sausage meat there. Until I find somebody that makes as good of sausage then I will go to them. I took a moose to him and we had some meat that tasted great and some that tasted very gamey. It is not possible that the same cuts can tatse different from the same animal. Deer I cut myself and take sausage meat to him.

abbyfireguy
05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Get your bear,its yours and he has no right to keep it or arbitrarily give it away .
If there are problems call the CO's and tell them he is screwing around with wild game.
I would find this very frustrating if I were in your shoes.
Good luck, hope things get better..

ruger#1
05-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Call CFIA, and tell them the problem. Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

marbles67
05-16-2010, 09:05 AM
I have contaced some angencies and they are going to adress it,I hear and see my part I didnt pick it up saturday.I wasnt told that it would actrually be ready it was guess on gis part if I phoned 4 days late and this is what I get so be it my fault,but I didnt deserve threats and I will not get my meat now I have sour tase in my mouth and the spirit in which I took that animal is lost Im pissed I hope he chokes on it!!

dougal
05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I have used him for three years now hes always been good but has had a full rack so we've had to wait a day or so to drop off.
they have done a good job for us and been quite prompt but I have seen him rip a strip out of some joker who butted in line he is not one to take crap from anyone .

Not saying that you did anything but perhaps he had dealt with someone less useful in life and you caught him at a bad moment.

$h!t happens but as to not getting your meat its yours just go and get it what can he say that he doesnt want to deal with you anymore and there has been a good note to others who might try them to be wary of a bad temper at times.

as to that there close to my grandparents place so I will continue to use them and they have not treated us poorly yet but I will keep out an eye for other local butchers

Gateholio
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I am sure glad I learned how to use a meat grinder/sausage stuffer when I was an 18 year old apprentice.:wink:

Chameleon
05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I've not used him, but many of my friends on the mainland do, they say he does a good job, makes great sausage, but is cranky if you leave meat longer than a couple of days past when he said it would be ready, fair enough...

marbles67
05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I've not used him, but many of my friends on the mainland do, they say he does a good job, makes great sausage, but is cranky if you leave meat longer than a couple of days past when he said it would be ready, fair enough...
fair enough for what??kurt did not goive me a firm time ,remeber I have never met the guy,can he pick up the phone and call??oh I must bow before the mighty sausage maker give me a break hes a piece of crap and you never dealt with him:twisted:

marbles67
05-16-2010, 03:41 PM
ok can mod please close this thread

Jelvis
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Just tell us honestly what you said to tick Karl off like that cuz lots of people say he's fantastic sausage maker doing bears and all critters so why all of a sudden would Karl snap like that?
What's his phone number cuz we could find out his side of this meat cutting story at Sumas Meats...case building makes it difficult to use proper butcher scales to weigh in on this matter.
Thanks Jel Butcher blocks, building a case for meat cutting and sausage making and two sided story.
Give Karl a chance to respond..

ruger#1
05-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Jel. We even have a mod here that he was being rude and swearing in front of his son. I do not care how good his sausage is. He can shove it up his ASS! If you ask me, That is a shitty way to do bussiness. And he has done it to alot more people also. If you like being treated like that then fair enough.