PDA

View Full Version : Source for new bow?

Ike
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi Folks,
Looking for some help please…. I need a new hunting compound bow to replace my ailing and failing PSE.
With some helpful suggestions from one of the board experts I was able to focus down to two that seem to fit what I want:

1) Hoyt Maxxis 31
2) Bowtech 340

Other short list potentials I stumbled across on my own were....
3) Diamond Rock 2.0 (not as good but maybe a great bargain? anyone have experience with it?)
4) Bear Attack (not suggested but looks interesting) anyone experience it yet?

I realize the Diamond or Bear are not quite on the same level as the other two but maybe they are sleeper great values? Or should I save my shekels and go for the better bow?

My main question is that since I have to do everything mailorder, where is the best place (price and service) to buy Hoyt and Bowtech/Diamond bows over the phone? … in BC or Alberta

Thanks and Cheers

Ike
05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks BowWalker

I live in the middle of the Central Coast and don't get out too often, when I do it is usually North to Terrace area for a day.

I have set up a few bows (just swapped my bow's accessories onto my wife's bow last night) but am not the best and I am at the point of wanting a RTS package or at least one that comes RTS with the parts I want. I will have to trust the shop tech's experience where I deal with eventually.

I want to splurge on a flagship bow but my Scottish conscience (the missus) was aghast at the $$ I would happily lay down so I thought I should as if anyone knows the actual differences between something like the Rock 2.0 at $500 and the flagship Iceman models? If it is worthwhile to save for the better bow (I want one that will last several years) then I will but if I really don't need the extra I can make my wife happy and will be able to send my kids to college. ;)

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

(I also forgot to mention that I would like to support site sponsors and those who support this community if possible.)

Vader
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Always best to shoot a variety to make sure the fit is good for you. If you can't.. buy the best you can afford and hopefully the missus gets over it.. Nice to buy from a pro shop because they will do the setup for you.. usually included in the price.. and if you have problems they are usually pretty good at helping out to fix the problem. I myself bought Canadian. Pricey bows but they do the job. I have had no warranty issues except for the string stop rod that was replaced free of charge. Take a look at the APA line up.. The single cams are as quick as some of the other brands double cams and much easier to keep in tune, unless you know what you are doing. Also nice to have the built in draw length adjustment that some bows are coming out with. Good luck..

The Hermit
05-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Take a look at Hardcore Archery in Kelowna too. Talk to Ken, the owner, and tell him what you need and can afford and I'm sure he will help you out with initial set up before shipping it to you.

Tenacious Billy
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
T&F Country Sports in PG is great - prices are competitive with any of the big name stores and the customer service is second to none.

Bow Walker
05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Many companies/stores are selling off last years models. Do a little searching and you'll come up with a great deal.

Ike
05-14-2010, 11:42 PM
This is turning into a lot harder than I thought. I am now looking at Bowtech 340 or Airborne, and more than one of the Matthews. They're all excellent bows so it is sort of like picking between Ford, Chevy and Dodge truck without driving any.:redface:

Thanks to all the info and pms. For the record, I hope/plan to support site sponsors, BC (Northern) dealers if possible and appreciate the recommendations.

Cheers

Ike
06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Another question I forgot to ask......

Is there any reason I should stick with 70# or is '60 the new 70'? It seems a lot of people are going down to 60#, is that all I will need or is there an advantage staying at #70 for a new bow?

Thanks and Cheers

Bow Walker
06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
60 lbs. will kill anything in BC or in the N.A. continent for that matter. It's a personal thing. If you are able to pull and shoot a 70 lb. bow (in a 3D situation) all day and still feel comfortable - then by all means go out and get it.

It's better to get a peak weight of 60 lbs. and max it out than it is to get a 70 lb. bow and turn it down to 60 lbs. Just some food for thought.

Contact this guy - see if his setup is still for sale....http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51164

Ike
06-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks BW,

If I wasn't one of those wonky lefties I would be all over the APA

Cheers

60 lbs. will kill anything in BC or in the N.A. continent for that matter. It's a personal thing. If you are able to pull and shoot a 70 lb. bow (in a 3D situation) all day and still feel comfortable - then by all means go out and get it.

It's better to get a peak weight of 60 lbs. and max it out than it is to get a 70 lb. bow and turn it down to 60 lbs. Just some food for thought.

Contact this guy - see if his setup is still for sale....http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51164

Ike
06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Many thanks to everyone who helped me with advice and suggestions on shoosing a new bow. I did not ignore any of it, I incorporated it into what I know (or think I know) about archery and my ability), and my search for a new bow is over.
Thanks to site sponsors Ominca SFS (and Northern Trout Outfitters) they were great at getting my bow, setup and having it ready for pickup with my ever changing trip schedule. I even got to finally meet the infamous Mr. Bartell ;)

I have in my grubby hands:
-PSE Axe 6 in 60# with Octane 7" stabilizer
- G5 XR sight with 0.19" pins
- QAD capture rest
-Carbon Force arrows with Montecs for hunting

I put about 50arrows down range yesterday from 20-50m and this bow is awesome! It took about 10 to get sighted in. It pulls far more easily than I expected, not harsh at 60# at all. There's lots of valley and letdown is not harsh at all. Shooting......wow it shoots SMOOTH and FAST! I am getting grapefruit size groups at 50m with my poor form, and about 1-2.5" at 20 and 30m. Even my 'poor form' shots are accurate so I see absolutely no problems with the 6" brace height. I ended up going with a 6" brace height over the 7" - guess I sort of turned into a speed slut

I did look at the Hoyt, Bowtech and Matthews, they were all great bows but the PSE fit me best
I admit this is my first high end bow in almost 15 years, it is like night and day compared to my older bows.

Obligatory pics to come later :)

Cheers

cainer
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Ike-how was the pricing and selection at Omnica? went to their website and there's nothing to see. I'm on the hunt for a new bow-was going to buy a slightly used PSE vendetta xs, and was also looking at your bow as well. see any of those vendettas in your travels?