PDA

View Full Version : A little Early Dry Fly Action

Ddog
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
well i set the alarm for 5:30 to get up and head to one of the lakes to see if hatch was on, nice warm weather last night and a beautiful morning today there had to be something coming off the water. When i arrived at the lake shortly after daybreak the water was like glass and the rolling mist on the lake was picture perfect.
Being the only one there i sat on the shore for a moment to take in the beauty of the rocky mountains and to finish sipping my coffee.
Fish were readily hitting the surface throughout the lake and taking nothing in particular, seems they were just sipping whatever unfortunate insect that mistakingly took the surface as solid ground and tried to land.
Yup, indeed it was a perfect morning here in the Kootenays. Once again i find myself all alone on a picture perfect lake, aside from the pair of loons that tried to run me off their secret fishing hole a few times with a display of authority and aggression.

as i pull my waders on and slip my pontoon boat in the water i can only hope the fishing is going to be half as perfect as this morning. I slip the boat silently through the water heading for the shoal just off to my left, a couple of quick rows with the oars and i am almost there as i pull the fly off the rod and start my false casts to get the line out, as my fly hits the surface with a slight little ring, yes it was a perfect cast, right to where i wanted the fly to be, the line never even made a ripple when it effortlessly touched down on the water.
A smile curls the edge of my lips as i put the first twitch on the fly, its been several long months since i was last here. My mind wanders a bit as i remember last years fish aggressively taking my offering, then SPLASH, down goes the fly and my rod starts the bend, yup it starts again!
Oh how i love fishing dry flies on a perfect morning!
heres what i brought home for the BBQ. 20" just about 4lbs ,,18" 3lbs, and one 12" that was too aggressive and was beyond release.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_2046.jpg

rocksteady
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Way to go....

Hopefully you did not catch them all...I am planning to try "your favorite" lake tomorrow afternoon....

Ddog
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
leave em alone,,they belong to me!! i released a few bigguns to Mike.
seems that no winter kill took place. watch out for those two Loons,,they are LOONIE!!

rocksteady
05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Big lake or little lake?????

I hear that loons are good eatin...just like turkey, but a little fishier:-D:mrgreen:

05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Looks like thoes are the football straign of rainbows.

You got me pumped! After work today my wife and father and myself are departing for a 3day camp'n fish on a lake that holds them to 16". Not quite what you have there but oh well....... Flys'n lakes past that it dont matter much

Ddog
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
little Lake Mike,,, never went more than 150 yards from the boat launch, couldnt really, them loons were the attack kind.

yup the 4 weight fly rod and 4 lb tippet had a workout today!! the big guy went almost to the backing, though i hooked another little one and the loon grabbed it, that is, until it broke water 3 times!!! was great first couple of hours to start the season.!!

c.r.hunter
05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice Job Daryll. Are you meeting us in the boo in a couple weeks?

coach
05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Beauty fish there! Well done.

d6dan
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Nice catch Daryl. I'd be watching who I tell, like Mike and Joe.:mrgreen:.they'll go in and clean your Lake out:tongue:.

rocksteady
05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice catch Daryl. I'd be watching who I tell, like Mike and Joe.:mrgreen:.they'll go in and clean your Lake out:tongue:.

OUCH !!!! That stings !!!:cry::cry:

Ddog
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
i trust Mike,,,he wont know what the secret green caddis fly is,,i mean the secret fly is..LOL.

i will not be in the Boo as much as it means to me, i just cant make it

d6dan
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
OUCH !!!! That stings !!!:cry::cry:

JK Mike:-D.. When I was a kid growing up over there, we never told anyone our favorite fishing hole secrets:mrgreen:.

Fireball129
05-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Very Nice Fish,you Gotta Love The Fishing After The Winter

weatherby_man
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Sweet pic and nice story. Cant wait to get out.

Burger64
05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Gotta love the old St Croix Legends..Nice fish

Ddog
05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
good eye Burger64,,i agree,, that little 4 piece 4 weight has some real sweet power, thats my go to rod for the lakes and rivers here. Although it is a little under powered for chucking big bass flies,,LOL

nano
05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Just got my first fly rod and after reading your post i cant Waite to get started.

rocksteady
05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Went to Ddogs lake this afternoon, me and a buddy.....

Were there about 3 hours and caught over 40 trout. Most were in the 12 to 14" range, 1 to 1.5 lb. Had a blast, real good fly rod action....

Looking back at your original post, I think you should write HArlequin Romance Novels for a living......And I could be your cover model, sort of like Fabio:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ddog
05-14-2010, 07:05 PM
thats funny,,lmao

d6dan
05-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you boys had a blast. Any pics??:neutral:. Jk with ya the other day RS..

rocksteady
05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Sounds like you boys had a blast. Any pics??:neutral:. Jk with ya the other day RS..

Oh, I know.....That's okay I have thick skin, as well as a lot of patience to get revenge:twisted:

J_T
05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Nice fishin guys. I couldn't decide if I was going out fly fishing or bowhunting for bears this weekend. I can't do both. Need some time in the garden.

I think I'll be pursuing bears though.

Thanks for the post Daryll. Lots of great lakes around Cranbrook. As much as others say the 'problem' with people living in Cranbrook 'is the water', I think exactly that, one of the best things for the people in Cranbrook, 'is' the water.

ruger#1
05-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Since when did they put a boat launch at the hatchery. Yes St Croix Legends are nice rods. I have two of them in 3WT and I have a 6WT Ultra legend. Do not like it as much as the Legend.Very nice fish.

sawmill
05-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Hey Daryll,Buddy,Pal,a little help here?:mrgreen:I won`t catch `em all.