PDA

View Full Version : Gun hunter has a questionabout bows

CSG
05-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I got offered a compound bow from a buddy of mine. He is way smaller than I am and I picked up his bow(first time I have even picked one up) and I when I drew it back it stopped short of where I would have liked.

So I am looking to find out if he has bought a small size bow or are they all the same size and can I just take his bow to a shop and they tweak it a little and it would fit me??

The Hermit
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Many bows can be adjusted for draw length. Tell us the make and model...

Bow Walker
05-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Draw length on bows is usually very adjustable - either through the use of modules or adjustable stops built in to the bow.

If the bow is more than 4 or 6 inches too short then that partiucular bow is not for you. As Hermit states - that question cannot be answered without more info. What's the make, model and year of the bow in question?

cominco
05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
compound bows tend to be archer specific. each bow has a certain amount of adjustment and the range (draw length) is written on the limb.) For example the bow might say 27 to 29 inches and if your drawlength falls in that range you can adjust the bow. However if your draw length is longer you are out of luck withthat bow. Newer bows have ranges of up to 5 inches. should your draw lengthh be shorter than the lower limit you will never be able to pull the string back far enough for the let off to occur. The let off is where the string gets easier to pull. Draw weight is usually measured at 28 inches as that is the average draw length with archers and you will find this on the bow limb as well for example 50#@28. You need to know your draw length and you can measure this yourself with the help of a friend. Get a bow even a fibrelass recurve will do and put a long arrow on the string, pull the bow as if you were about to shoot and then have your friend mark the arrow just above the pivot point.(deepest part of handle or usually arond the middle of the bow. Release the arrow slowly and them measure from the tip of the arrow to the bottom of the nock groove( where the string sits ) and you have it. These directions are on lots of sights just punch in measure draw length and it should pop up some where.