PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunting in Powell River?

islander7mm
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Coming from the south island to visit a friend in Powell River and planning to head out to find a black bear (or color phase if possible?). I know there are bears coming in and out of town up there but I'm wondering about which direction to head out of town to find cuts to glass and places to look. I'm hoping to find a decent bear for meat/hide but I'm not planning to hold out for a monster. Just one that I'm not going to get grief over. Its been a couple weeks since I was last out,(new baby) so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks
I'm planning to bring my camera for sure.

blackford
05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
i went out 3 years ago... we went up some Fsr in powell river... 10 minutes in the tag was cut and the bear was in the back of the truck. go into TAWS or Powell River Outdoors and ask them to point you in the right direction.. they are a good group of guys...

good luck on the hunt

The Dawg
05-13-2010, 11:34 PM
When I used to vacation in PR, I would spend a lot of time up the FSR's at the lakes...used to see a TON of blackies up around Lois Lake.

blackford
05-15-2010, 08:16 PM
let us know how you do.

hunterofthedeer
05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Two years ago when we were traveling through powell river we were checking out the fsr and we seen the largest pile of bear poop. It was massive. Forget which road it was though.Seen quite a few bears too. They are around.

islander7mm
05-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Well we had success. Went out sat. and came up on one past Lois Lake. Popped him and through him in the truck. He's not huge but a great meat bear.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/islander7mm/DSC_0114.jpg

I'll post a full story on the island forum.

Jehiah
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Way to go my friend! Too bad I wasnt with you as well - but there is always "tomorrow" for that.
Cant wait to see the full set of pictures!