PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel

FlyingHigh
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Anyone figured out an effective squirrel call yet? i have a big black squirrel that raids the bird feeders. it's non-native to the area a a total pest. i was told to kill it and it's partner in crime. i've gotten one shot at it with my bow and missed by about a 1/4 inch from 20 yards. haven't seen it lately. any ideas?

mrdoog
03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Old joke: sit in a tree and act like a nut.

CanAm500
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Make a snare near the bird feeder where you think the pest will come from, then when he walks into the snare....no more squirrel. Try a rabbit snare.

Marc
03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
nail a rat trap to a tree high enought that a dog can't get at it and put some peanut butter on the trigger.

ruger#1
03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
take two pennys. and click them together, it is like a distres call it should come to it, it works on the red squirils around here.

ruger#1
03-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Marc they might like cheese whiz , ha ha

Marc
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got a rat in my garage who keeps lickingthe peanut butter clean off the trigger without setting it off. He did this 3 times in one day. I've tried tying some bacon on it with some dental floss but so far he hasn't touched it.

CanAm500
03-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I've got a rat in my garage who keeps lickingthe peanut butter clean off the trigger without setting it off. He did this 3 times in one day. I've tried tying some bacon on it with some dental floss but so far he hasn't touched it.

Rats are pretty smart...its like the can smell danger :|

ruger#1
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
this is what we use at work. get some glue traps you will get it for sure.i tryed traps with the deep peanutbutter holder and they did the same thing. when you get it in the glue trap im not coming over to put it to sleep for you.

mrdoog
03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Mush peanut butter into a small square of paper towel, roll the square up, tie that onto the rat trap. Has worked everytime for me.

3kills
03-28-2006, 08:56 PM
i have a call that i got for xmas for yotes and it makes squirel sounds i wonder if that will work???

FlyingHigh
03-28-2006, 09:44 PM
wow. thanks for the responses guys. lot's of interesting stuff. i'm actually looking more to shoot the thing with my both than to trap it. (i like a challenge)8)

stanway
03-28-2006, 09:51 PM

Marc,

Get one of those traps with a "cup" that sits in the middle of the trigger plate. Fill the cup with peanut butter and put a chunk of a dog biscut in the peanut butter - wedge it in there. He has to step on the trigger plate to 'pull' the biscut out. It worked for the ones I had here - they couldn't resist the dog biscut. They all got away from the old fashioned 'spring trap'.

Give it a try. I think I bought it from Home Depot.

James
:mrgreen:

Dragginbait
03-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I've got a rat in my garage who keeps lickingthe peanut butter clean off the trigger without setting it off. He did this 3 times in one day. I've tried tying some bacon on it with some dental floss but so far he hasn't touched it.I picked up one of the plastic rats traps from Wally World (Wal-Mart) They 've got a mean set of jaws and a hair trigger that all you have to do is step on to arm it. Put a little peanut butter in the little tray and the rat can kiss his furry little ass good-buy:mrgreen:

moose hunter
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
do as moose hunter duz buy a crappy feeder when he gets onto it shoot the feeder with a 300 worked a few times:mrgreen: i found a leg and some hair on the groud it was good enough for me i do hunt them with my pellet rifle thopugh i get paid to do it other places where they try to get into garages and atticks ect,ive also done bats with the 12 gauge well me and my dad did but i was better at it:) anyhoo just get a rat trap and nail it to the post he has to climb problem solved 124 squirrels down more to go i should change my handle to the squirrelanatorand every one of these guys has been a pest going into things, only guy i just re located was an albino squirrel which P.G people probably saw in the paper

Marc
03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
here is a pic of one that couldn't resist the smell of peanut butter a couple years ago.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/miscpic/Rat%20%232.jpg

bigwhiteys
03-28-2006, 10:05 PM
A Good Rat Trap.

Start with a 5 gallon bucket or bigger if you have it (taller the better)

And drill a hole on either side. Get a popcan and drill a hole in the bottom so you can run a string through. Tie it off on the holes you drilled in the pail and now the can is suspended over the top of the bucket.

Fill the bucket with water just enough so they can't swim or jump out.

Smear the can with peanut butter and they cannot resist jumping onto the can from the edge. When they do down they go into the bottom and drown in the water.

I have tried this on squirrels but they could get out too easily. Rats and mice on the other hand couldn't.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

derek p
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Used Big Whitey's trap in the Babine, (Fish Camp) this by far works better than any trap we had at our disposal, the best thing------ in heavily rodent infested areas (ie: kitchen, cabins) they keep working all nite long!! :)

Dirty
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
STEP 1)Go to any place that sells SUET, get a block of SUET and use it as bait.

STEP 2) Wait for the squirrel to come (they absolutely love suet)

STEP 3) Shoot him right in the head with a pellet gun (it is important to shoot right in the head or else he will escape

STEP 4) Claim your trophy

huntwriter
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Of all the solutions I read here Marc's seems the simplest, cheapest and efficient. I bet a simple rat trap will work just fine on a squirrel too. In fact I will try it out first thing tomorrow morning by tying a few in the walnut tree behind the house.;)

Fred
03-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Marc, I apologise in advance in case I insult you but I darned near pissed myself over your last post,#16. Guys, take another look at the pic and then jump down to Marc's signature line! Got Ketchup!!! :biggrin: Fred

reach
03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Feel the burn Marc... :biggrin: is that heartburn? :D

Careful with the traps though. It's illegal to kill a native squirrel (Douglas squirrel or flying squirrel).

And in general, are you allowed to use traps outdoors without a trapping license? Maybe on your own property?

yote
03-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Here's what worked for me in the past and actually still does. Try and be as quiet as you can, just like you are seriously hunting for a deer. Get all comfy in a spot and pretend that you are waiting to ambush an unsuspecting deer, perhaps a treestand would help, get all camo'd up too. I guarantee that within a few minutes, you'll start to hear the chirping and cussing from any squirrel within 200yrds. In fact they will actually come to you. Yup, seen it myself....many times.

P.S. this works equally as well for Stellar Jays too. :biggrin:

islandarcher
03-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I built a simple box trap. I like this one because the trgger can be hairpin set, and there is no weight putting pressure on the pin. http://www.longshadowfarms.com/homemadetrap.html

Be sure to put the wire mesh on the back so you can see if there is anything in the trap, and what exactly it is. I built two sizes, one for rats, and one for squirells and cats. They work great for ferral cats, and releasing is real easy too. I alyways relocate the squirells....... To the bottom of a lake!

Only thing with the rodents, you do have to reinforce all holes with wire mesh. My brother borrowed one and the rat had chewed his way through the 5/8" pine before my brother checked the trap in the morning. he enlarged the hole for the trigger large enough for him to crawl through.

sub urban bow hunter
03-29-2006, 03:02 PM
They love black gold sunflower seeds, make a big pile of sunflower seeds sit and wait with bow drawn, they will come!

As for an effective call may i suggest the nut dropping method, you want them to think that another squirrel is in the trees plucking off good nuts or cones and dropping them onto the ground. What works best is to sit perfectly still with camo and face paint. Have a pocket full of small rocks, balance rocks on forefinger and thumb and use thumb to flick them under trees into the loud tree litter, they will come shortly...stay very still until they discover that they have been duped, then let fly!
:biggrin:
It has worked well for me 3 with bow at up to 30 yards, use blunt tips for best results

Live rat in glue trap = trouble:sad:

Qimukti
04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Do you need a hunting license to hunt squirrels with an air rifle?

Foxer
04-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you need a hunting license to hunt squirrels with an air rifle?

Yes and no ... you need to have a license to hunt them, but you can destroy some species on your property i believe, as rodents.