PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions

MichelD
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Time to send in my cards. I've got mule deer doe and Roosevelt elk figured out, but moose is baffling me.

I know a place Region 6 that can be good, but I don't want to burn that much gas this year. I have a couple places in region 5 in mind, one I've been to, the other I've always wanted to go to, so that's really tempting. I like trying new (to me) areas.

There's even a little hole in Region 8 that is a possibility too. So many choices and only one LEH card.

Phil
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I find it is best to go with what you know, especially if gas is an issue.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
stick to where you know sometimes new areas dont produce but if your looking for good moose region 7 is your best bet although region 5 is looking good this year i might add quesnels are welcoming everyone :)

MichelD
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Well I've been to 7-11 twice and the 2nd time (last year) was extremely disappointing.

05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Look out if you put in for a new area.... you might get it if you ask for advise :)

I put in for reg 5 for moose, We found a nice area last year when i went a little cross eyed filling out the card and then read from my card to my partner......oops! the drive isnt as far as 7-24 7-16 and 7-11 where i usually hunted. Moose seem a bit smaller though. Good thing about 5 is there are some deer there too.

MichelD
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Well that is part of my decision making process 835, I know I'll get heck if I pick (and get) a hunt where I've never been before.

But how the heck are you going to find new areas if you don't go there? I have some friends I could ask for advice from if drawn, but I've only been on a few moose trips to widely separated areas and I'm eager to try new places. I'll probably be taking a new hunter out this fall too, so I'd like to go somewhere where he can get his first deer too.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Well that is part of my decision making process 835, I know I'll get heck if I pick (and get) a hunt where I've never been before.

But how the heck are you going to find new areas if you don't go there? I have some friends I could ask for advice from if drawn, but I've only been on a few moose trips to widely separated areas and I'm eager to try new places. I'll probably be taking a new hunter out this fall too, so I'd like to go somewhere where he can get his first deer too.

region 5 has nice deer population as well as moose or they wouldnt be reopening leh

05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Well put in for somewhere after you make sure you know how to get there:mrgreen: Then bite the bullet and ask here. There are alot of people here who help, only a couple give you heck. Take that in stride.

Part of the fun is exploring new places. Just remember that if you dont like where you went dont let it reck your trip. Just dont go back there. I have struck out on my own a few times to places i have never been. Once i had to come back early because it was too warm for the deer we shot! 4x4 mulie and a 2x3 whittie. Just go for it. Google map it do some reasearch on the roads and access, places to camp you can find them all on google map.

If you post for help and i can I'll help.

silvertipp
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
there,s nothing wrong with trying new areas ,thats one of the best ways to learn,if you get the tag just do some scouting & ask lots of questions
i drew a sheep tag in the okanogan the first year i put in didnt even know if sheep were there but it looked like an area i wanted to look at for some time ,now i have a nice ram on the wall gl

Blainer
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Consider the area that we met in last year.
I see moose in the area every year and it is reasonably close and I will lend a hand.
I leave on my Grizz hunt on Sunday.
Good luck and talk soon.

Caveman
05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Pick where ever you want. If it is somewhere new, it's just a new adventure somewhere you've never been. Good Luck!!

Jelvis
05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
A real good way to tell where to go for a moose or deer or a moose and deer
.. first get a good sized map of BC
.. put the map on the flat service of a wall
.. next put blind fold on
.. then throw three darts
.. take blind fold off
.. take the center of the three dart grouping
.. BAM!
.. Closest MU and apply accordingly
.. Jel .. works great