PDA

View Full Version : Spring versus late fall

Big Lew
05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I have an open question to experienced black bear hunters. I have only shot late fall bears for the meat and fat. My question:- What is the difference in meat quality and hide quality between early spring-summer and late fall? I know there is a big difference in their size after they have been feeding all summer, and the meat can be tainted by what they have recently been eating. Thanks for your responses.

KB90
05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
- What is the difference in hide quality between early spring-summer and late fall? .

A spring bears hide should not (for the most part) be rubbed damaged or scuffed. They can make excellent rugs. As fall goes on their fur deteriorates from fights, brush, fences, rubs etc.

Steeleco
05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I taken enough of both to feel I like spring bears much better. I don't think you could say they taste different as I think taste is a product of diet. But spring bears are usually much easier to deal with, both in the field as they weigh less and at home when cutting. The meat is leaner with less trimming. The other bonus is the hide if your inclined and we get out in the woods for a few extra weeks.

Caribou_lou
05-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Meat wise, I've taken spring and fall bears and both are great! More fat on the fall ones which make it harder to skin I find. If your looking to make a rug I would suggest a fall bear. They are much fatter in the fall which will result in a hide that is more square. I also find bigger bears are easier to come by in the spring, easier to locate. But you have two tags. Take one in the spring and one in the fall!!

BlacktailStalker
05-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Depends on the bear.
The one spring bear we took this year had over 1.5" of fat on it.
Big bears are always fat, just like people.

Sitkaspruce
05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I prefer fall for strictly meat as I can see that they are a berry bear.
For a Big bear, I hunt the spring because a big spring bear will be BIG. They are easier to judge in the field and as Steelco said, are also easier to handle.

As for a rug, I have had both spring and fall and if you shoot the bear in Oct, the coat will be just as nice as an early spring bear, plus they do not rub in late Sept and Oct and you will actually get a nicer, more consistent coat.

I have already seen bears up here with rubbed patches on their A$$ and ribs.

Cheers

SS

Big Lew
05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I was under the assumption early season bear meat would be leaner and less likely to be tainted. As I stated, I've only shot "late fall" bears, and have had both, good, and bad tasting meat. The one bad tasting bear was up very high, and because the blue berry crop was very poor, had been eating a lot of High-bush cranberry and Oregon grape and I don't want to know what else....the meat was unpleasant and spruce needle tasting.