PDA

View Full Version : knife sharpening?

Mr. Friendly
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm not so much looking for a tool. I know how much everyone loves the Lansky sharpener...but I can't get the ruddy thing to sharpen squat! I'm looking for a recommendation to take some knives I just acquired, to get them sharpened...or someone here who's in Vancouver that's willing to give a few pointers or otherwise (I do so much better when I see rather then book)...perhaps even earn a few $$$ sharpening what I just received today. The Marbles Trailmaker is pretty dull and the Bark River could use a touch up. only thing I have that's currently sharp is my Gerber Clutch multi-tool blade and my Buck Vantage folder.

hillclimber
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Just talked to my and he can sharpen your knives for free. Also he said when he's done you can shave the eyelashes off a mosquito.:mrgreen: Send me a PM with your contact # and my dad will let you know when he has time.

Cheers
Stefan

DGuest
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
If you want a good video on how to do it your self check these out:

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1-CDNaSFs

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRiJ_YnSCI&feature=related

This guy knows his stuff.

blacklab
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
If you're having trouble with a Lansky it's because you've got it set at the wrong angle and you're not sharpening to the edge. Get a felt marker and a magnifying glass, mark the edge with the marker. Then set your sharpener to the desired angle, and using one of the coarser stones grind away until you've removed all sign of the felt marker, check with the magnifier. Use the finer grits till you get the edge you want always checking with the felt marker. Unless you're using your knives really hard try a 20 degree angle.

Mr. Friendly
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
wow...that's a good video (well, videos...just two parts for the same one)! now...where do we get such Japanese whetstones, mmm?

landphil
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
now...where do we get such Japanese whetstones, mmm?

Lee valley tools has them, that's all I ever use.

BlacktailStalker
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Practice with the lansky til you get it. Not hard to put a better than factory edge on any knife after a while.

Mr. Friendly
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Lee valley tools has them, that's all I ever use.
they have a wide selection, that's for sure. any recommendation what would be the better bet to go for...a 4000 or an 8000 grit, as they don't have a 6000 grit. :-?

DGuest
05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Something you may or may not have noticed with the knife Ray sharpens in the video is that it's got a single bevel or Scandinavian grind. These knives are easier to sharpen and you can get them very sharp (enough to shave) on your own the way he shows in the video. After giving the single bevel a try, I'll never go back to the double bevel you see on most Buck, Gerber etc. knives. Frosts Mora makes a great knife thats so cheap it's pretty much disposable, it's not pretty but it's razor sharp off the shelf.

Dmytro
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Sharpening depends on what you sharpen and for what purpose, and on your blade profile. If you have convex edge for example you need a very different approach then with a flat bevel. If you have steel that can take impacts and you plan to use it for chopping you need a different angle than if you have high carbide steel that will be used for slicing. Then there are compromises like micro bevels.

There are many different ways to sharpen- stones, microfilm, sanding paper, sanding belts, paste, etc.

I sharpen using a combination of diamond plates and Shapton glass water stones. I use extra coarse and coarse diamond plates to profile the edge and then 1000, 4000 and 16000 stones to sharpen and finish off. When I am done the edge shines like a mirror. Don't try this approach if you have little patience and want a quick result though- it takes practice.

landphil
05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
they have a wide selection, that's for sure. any recommendation what would be the better bet to go for...a 4000 or an 8000 grit, as they don't have a 6000 grit. :-?

I use a 1000/4000x but mainly use the 1000x side for knives, just a final finish with the 4000x. Anything over that is excessive IMHO, and I like a sharp edge.

Dmytro
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I use a 1000/4000x but mainly use the 1000x side for knives, just a final finish with the 4000x. Anything over that is excessive IMHO, and I like a sharp edge.

It will start to shine at 4000. Finer grits just make it look awesome. I stopped at 1 micron which is 16000 but you can also get a 32000 stone. Unless you are shaving with it I agree you don't have to go past 4000. And if you are going to shave you need to look into stropping anyway.

Trevor Alan
06-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't know if you have already set yourself up with a sharpening system, since you posted this, but I am a total hunting greenhorn but have a lot of experience with sharpening. I teach woodworking, and I sharpen a lot and would be happy to trade advice. You can bring your knives and I will show you what I know and in exchange, you can talk to me about hunting.

By the way, I have pretty much all the sharpening equipment you could ever want to try out; a full line of diamond stones, from 200 to 4000, Lee Valley's japanese water stones (200-8000 grit), Norton's water stones (same range of grit), old antique oil stones (arkansas Translucent), honing compounds, and several different sharpening machines (Lee valley's Mark II sharpening machine) and a Low RPM grinder with White wheel for hardened carbon steel. Each of these sharpen differently and it is a personal preference thing rather than one is better thing.

At least you can try them out and see what you like before buying something.

The one thing is that I always sharpen freehand instead of with jigs, so someone else will have to help you try out those.

My personal opinion is that learning to sharpen freehand is longer to learn but quicker in the end.

betteroffishing
06-05-2010, 09:00 AM
thats a very generouse offer , trevor allen , wherabouts are you located?

ramcam
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Check out Warthog sharpeners, 47 put me on to them and they work great.

Trevor Alan
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I am in Maple Ridge.