PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunting tips

bridger
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
SHEEP HUNTING TIPS
This thread is meant to fun and informative hopefully it won’t turn into resident/guide outfitter shouting match as a lot of new sheep hunters want information. These are just a few random thoughts I have put together based on my experience and are more common sense than anything else. The list is far from complete and I know a lot of guys will have more tips and that is what this thread is about. Let’s have some fun with it.
Before the Hunt
1) Get in good physical condition—sheep live in steep rough country
2) The calibre of your rifle is not as important as your ability to shoot under some very trying conditions. Practice shooting uphill and downhill at steep angles.
3) Buy the best optics you can afford
4) Buy good boots and break then in before you go—poor boots have ruined many a sheep hunt
5) Good rain gear is a must
6) Prepare yourself mentally. Poor weather and tough hunting conditions require a positive attitude
7) Make a list of equipment you will need and make sure it is in good condition—don’t take things you do not need. If you are back packing this is essential. Horse hunting gives you more options but you still need to plan.
8) Plan your meals
9) Take a book for those rainy days in camp
10) Before you leave town know how you are going to decide who has first shot when you find rams
11) Determine what your costs are going to be and make sure each member of your hunting party can cover his/her share before you leave.
12) Talk over your hunt plans with your partner in detail so each knows what is expected.
Hunting Tips (in no particular order)
1) Stay off the skyline. It is surprising how far away a ram can spot a sky lined hunter
2) Find a good vantage point and glass the area thoroughly- glass, glass, glass, glass. Many new sheep hunters walk too much and don’t glass enough. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see rams right away. They can be tough to find—so keep looking
3) Camp in a secluded spot and keep noise and movement to a minimum
4) It is important to see rams first if possible. If you are walking along and get busted sit down and don’t move. Often rams will ignore you after awhile if you are quiet and don’t move around. Rams pick up movement from a long distance.
5) Get high rams can be tough to stalk from below.
6) When you find rams be patient and make sure they are in a good position for a stalk. Sometimes you have to wait for hours or a day or so before they are in a position that makes them venerable.
7) Early and late look for rams feeding on south facing grassy slopes. During the day they like to bed in ledges and rougher country that can make spotting them difficult. Rams will also often bed in open shale slides so look for them there as well.
8) One thing to remember is that rams are where you find them so taking your time and glassing the entire area is important. Do not walk through an area that you haven’t glassed thoroughly.
9) Much has been said of a ram’s eyesight and how far away they spot movement. It is also important to acknowledge a ram’s sense of smell. In my experience more stalks have been blown by wind than anything else. If you make a stalk and the rams are gone don’t panic carefully look around. They may have just moved a short ways to get out of the sun or flies and are still close by.
10) When you are making a stalk proceed with caution and keep an eye out for other sheep that may be moving through the area.
Remember that sheep hunting is supposed to be fun. a lot of hard work but fun and any legal ram taken in fair chase is a great reward for that hard work. bridger

bigwhiteys
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Great Thread Idea Rich.

10) Before you leave town know how you are going to decide who has first shot when you find rams

We go by the he-who-spots-it has first call... Then there are no issues, no "it's MY ram" or any BS like that. You spot a legal ram, he's yours. Spot a band with 2 or 3 legal rams the guy who spots has first pick.

1) Stay off the skyline. It is surprising how far away a ram can spot a sky lined hunter

Skyline can be many different places on the mountain depending on the angle the sheep may see you from. I think it's important to try and always have an immediate backdrop if you can and use the terrain to your advantage, dips, valleys, rocks, etc...

Find a good vantage point and glass the area thoroughly- glass, glass, glass, glass. Many new sheep hunters walk too much and don’t glass enough. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see rams right away. They can be tough to find—so keep looking

This one can't be emphasized enough. You WILL get bored of glassing and not seeing anything, but thats the game. I've glassed the shit out of a mountain (or so I thought) only to have Willy throw up glasses and spot rams within 5 minutes.

It is important to see rams first if possible. If you are walking along and get busted sit down and don’t move. Often rams will ignore you after awhile if you are quiet and don’t move around. Rams pick up movement from a long distance.

It's not the end of the world either if they see you, so long as they don't run away. If they are watching you, then leave something behind for them to watch. I know space blankets or brightly colored rain jackets have served well for this purpose :) The rams watch your shiny item while you slink away and make a stalk.

Carl

whitetailsheds
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
For as much as you don't want to skyline yourself, this is exactly some of the first and easiest spotting one can do chasing sheep....scan the skyline. Can be done quickly, repeated often, very easy to spot them if they're up and walking around up there, or even bedded!

Mugger
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for posting Bridger, with all your experience I always read your posts a little closer. You to Big Whiteys. Thanks every bit helps.

willy442
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Great thread idea and should be very valuable to most.

The items posted by Bridger are all good valid points that I agree with fully. A few others are.
1. When glassing for sheep do a quick pan over the most likely places they may be. In the morning and evening on the grassy slopes, and during the warm days try the sky line and where ever you think. Then take your glasses and start on either your right or left and steady your bino's. Look at that circle or field entirely before moving one field over in another direction. Don't always look for "a sheep". More often when they are bedded you will see things that fail to fit in with the natural surroundings. ie; a white strip or patch, something on the black shale that breaks the flow of natural color. Many a spotting scope has been set up on "STONE/ROCK sheep but alot of nothings have also turned out to be rams. Always look for Sheep tracks in the fine black shale going from grass patch to grass patch.( this will indicate if sheep are in the area.) In the early hunts I've often followed tracks across shale with my bino's and found bedded rams where the tracks end.

2. Once sheep are spotted and you are planning a stock. Always pick out land marks and indicators on the mountain of where you want to climb to, where you want to cross over and come in above the group being stocked. Many times when above it is not possible to see enough below you to find rams that you know are there. Get to the right spot (it always looks different from above) and if you can't see them wait.

3. It has been my experiance that when rams come into a basin, if spooked they will try and go out the same way, unless that path is where they have been spooked from. If, with a couple of buddies it is not always a bad idea to set them on the escape path in case you screw up. Rams do get away, even from the pro's.

4. If glassing and you find a ram or young rams laying out on a rock ridge or shelf. Don't be to eager to write them of as little guy's and move on. Many times the little fellas are just sentry's and the matures are laying in the shade fighting flies. I remember a ram with deformed horns on a mountain I hunted lots. That ram lead me to more sheep than one can believe. The Rams on that mountain would never let him join up in the bunch. He always was chased out and would lay 3 to 5 hundred yards away, but always in the vacinity of other sheep. Often I would spot him laying out on a ridge and we would climb up and find a herd of sheep near by that we could not see from the bottom.

5. Most people reading this information will hunt from the tops as they are most likely back packers. When hunting Stone Sheep they are much harder to spot from above than below due to the white being on thier back legs and belly. Time spent glassing is that much more important as well as getting up at first light when they are feeding. Once they bed in the cliffs it becomes a very difficult task.

6. Before you pull the trigger know what you are shooting at. ie; size, age etc. Some pre hunt effort and studying will give you all the required tools.

7. After shooting it's a good idea to sit and let the remainder move off before standing and going down to your kill. Not showing yourself can help the next guy as they won't be as spooky from the 2 legged predator.

Good Luck and if this helps just one hunter take a mature ram instead of a little guy it will be worth it. If anyone has additional qiuestions please send me a pm and I will offer any further assistance that I can.

Bill

Kody94
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Good thread Bridger. Should be interesting and informative. I hope that this thread will be kept strictly "on topic" by the mods.

I don't have anything to add at first blush, except:

1) Never drop your guard around boiling water, and
2) Take a sattelite phone with you.

Cheers
4Ster

Wild Images
05-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Take the time to learn to skin and turn and salt your capes properly so that when the sheep gods smile on you your trophy will be well taken care of.
Sheep capes are a whole lot harder to find than mulies or whitetails.

ratherbeshooting
05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I know this might sound silly but I ALWAYS carry white tyvek-style painters overalls with me. It is amazing how close you can get when you are patient, move slow and look 'somewhat' like another white animal on the hills.

Jelvis
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I got one .. don't set your tent on a grizzly trail ... lol ...
Jel .. a very important one to remember ..

proguide66
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I know this might sound silly but I ALWAYS carry white tyvek-style painters overalls with me. It is amazing how close you can get when you are patient, move slow and look 'somewhat' like another white animal on the hills.
good one !......I found that snow camo makes you dissapear in the rocks , used it a few times in aug.

I havent read this whole thread but if your new at it , find an 'area' get comfy and DONT stop glassing...I have sat in one spot glassing the SAME face for 6 hrs...left , looked back and saw 6 rams in the middle of it.

Also , if your in a great area and dont see anything...if you can , give it a few days...let the other guys in surrounding holes stir em up. Every day sheep hunting is a new day in the same spot.....my first hunt of the year I go to the SAME place for at least 5 or 6 days in a row before I go somewhere else...sheep seem to be 'on tour' and show up any given time out of nowhere!!...( I'm no expert in anything but have learned this for myself over the years):wink:

300rum700
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
This is a question for all you experienced mountain hunters. Whats the best packable rain gear? This year will hopefully be my first sheep hunt and I dont mind paying for quality as long as it works.

proguide66
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Dont know about many others but the last handfull yrs I been taking 'light rubber' HH...works GREAT , rolls up real small and you dont cry when it tears...( I horse hunt usually 60 plus days a year , tears EVERYTHING no matter what)...swear by it for myself!:wink:

300rum700
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Dont know about many others but the last handfull yrs I been taking 'light rubber' HH...works GREAT , rolls up real small and you dont cry when it tears...( I horse hunt usually 30 plus days a year , tears EVERYTHING no matter what)...swear by it for myself!:wink:

Do you take pants too? I've heard of guys just taking the long HH jacket.

Schutzen
05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Looks like some very interesting reading here.
Nice idea Bridger.
Thanx
This has got to be one of my biggest regrets, never got to try a Sheep hunt.
Did most everything else tho.

proguide66
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Do you take pants too? I've heard of guys just taking the long HH jacket.
fur sure!!...the bib pants , jacket. Its real light , 100% waterproof and stretches pretty good so if you snag it up you might have a chance to back up and not tear it. I usually wear polypro longjohns , fleece pants while hunting/guideing ( DOESNT get more comfy then that for hiking) ...once you get to your glassing spot you dry up in minutes and dont freeze up while glassing all day...throw on the bib bottoms for the 'dew ride or hike' in the am , change out when I start my hike up if it isnt raining...roll it up , sack it in the pack....cheap , waterproof , light = comfort.

nomad
05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Another thanks for putting up this post! I find myself very intrigued by sheep and the hunt for them! I am slowly working towards a hunt someday! this gives an extra spark of interest and some extra insite into preparing for such a hunt!

Jelvis
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Go for Kamloops sheep leh it is close to the town of Kamloops and you can hunt in running shoes and T-shirt with cheap binoculars too.
Same as if you were mule deer hunting early season in the loops. Try your chance at Kamloops sheep leh.
Jel .. Kamloops sheep hunting done with a t-shirt and blue jeans with runners on. Big rams available.

yama49
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Awesome post, will provide lots of info, i am sure. I have no info, i am just reading along.

GoatGuy
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
When it comes to rockies don't look in the pretty spots where the rams should be, look in the timber and the little points and knolls close to the timber. Hunt where the sheep are; that isn't necessarily where the hunters are.

If you see them one year, remember the time and spot. It'll be a good bet every year after.

Patrol the winter ranges looking for rams and follow them back. Get out in July and August to get an idea of where they're hanging out.

Stay out of sight, that's what the rams are doing and they'll spot you if you don't.

If a person wants to find rams hunt take holidays at the end of the season, not the beginning of it.

leadpillproductions
05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
best thread in a long time thanks bridger

blackbart
05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Make a gear list well in advance and go over it several times prior to leaving. Don't forget rain pants or sleeping bags while on a ten day hunt.

Take more photo's than you think you should. Trust me on this one, as I regret not following this advice.

Plan for very bad weather and pack accordingly, if it is nice you will have more padding for sleeping on.

If doing a fly in hunt, bring extra food and comfort items to leave at the lake/strip. You won't regret this if stuck for several days while waiting for the weather to lift.

Leave the bug dope at home and don't bath for a week. The effect on biting insects is about the same.

Shoot straight, but only after making sure it is the ram you want.

The pain of getting in shape is better than the pain of not being able to pull a stalk due to being out of shape.

Glass till your eyes bleed, then glass some more.

A mickey of whiskey fits nicely in a pack and can be used to either celebrate or drown ones sorrows.

Addications can be cured for the most part - sheep hunting may be the exception.

Good luck in 2010 and beyond.

Twobucks
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I've done very little sheep hunting, but I've done a lot of climbing in the mountains - so I offer a little advice:

1. Mountain mileage makes mountain sense. The more time you spend up high moving through tricky alpine terrain, the better you get at reading the coming weather and reading the terrain. That will help you when you finally spot your ram and you start to sneak -- keeping track of where you are on the terrain is a lot tougher than most people realize. It will also get you in rippin' good shape, and sh*t, it's FUN!

2. Don't climb any higher than you're prepared to fall. Seems obvious, but sometimes it's tempting to just scramble over a small rock wall without thinking about how you're going to get back down. Downclimbing is scary stuff if you're not used to it.

3. Be aware of fall potential: always, always ask yourself: "If I slip or fall, where will I end up?" Watch out for cliffs, gullies or big talus fields and take extra care moving around them. I've scrambled over boulder fields where a fall would go 6-10 meters. That will kill you. But probably not very quickly.

4. Pay attention to what can fall on you. Walking below cliff bands capped with steep gullies? Is there a glacier above? A snow field on very steep terrain? Is your partner more than a few feet away and straight above you? These are all potentially dangerous situations (what mountaineers call "objective hazards") There are easily as many climbers killed by falling rock/debris each year as there are climbers killed in falls. When the temperature starts to get above freezing, all the bits of rock that were frozen in place start to melt free. A safe place can become a shooting gallery in no time.

5. Beware of fresh snow - especially early in the season and especially if accompanied by high winds. Avoid it if possible. It's not just sledders and backcountry skiiers that can trigger avalanches.

And I hate to pick on spelling in such a great thread - but sheep are always "venerable" (worthy of worship) -- but so far I've had a hard time finding them "vulnerable" (ready to be shot).

Hope that helps!

bridger
05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
one thing i have learned over the years is when you are trying to decide how big a ram is remember if you have to talk yourself into thinking the ram is above average chances are it won't be. big rams LOOK big and when you do see a whopper you don't have to think about it. Also be careful if you are looking at a lone ram. Sheep are no different than other animals sometimes you run into a runt and with no other sheep to judge size by you can be fooled. My partner once shot a ram we both thought was around 38/39 inches and 10 yrs old. he was 10 alright but only a full curl 33 inches. I picked him up by both back legs and lifted him clear off the ground. I doubt he weighed over a100 pounds. a real runt.

boxhitch
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Shiny reflective articles exadurate any movement. Get rid of the stainless, brass, gloss, Rolex,

The low sun behind you will be be in the eyes of the prey, making stocking easier.

Broad open valley with no cover ? Walk up slowly in the middle of the creek. The moving water will mask movement and glare.

Be prepared to siwash. No special gear needed if the attitude is right.

When glassing, its easy to loose focus, and day dream. You just missed something.

As said, don't always expect to see an animal. Expect to see part of one.
Look at each article until you are satisfied as to what it is.

Carry and use a dry set of socks. Change before the hike down, and tighten up the boot laces.

Remember, Murphy is always with you. The b!t(#.

ufishifish2
05-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks so much to Bridger and all the rest of you for a very helpful thread. I am planning my first Northern sheep hunt this year and your tips will be very, very useful.
Ufish

eastkoothunter
05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
AWESOME thread. This definately will help me prepare and know what to expect when that sheep hunt finally falls into place. Thanks in advance to everyone whose throwing in there bits of info. Will be reading this one for a long long time!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-11-2010, 04:51 AM
2. Once sheep are spotted and you are planning a stock. Always pick out land marks and indicators on the mountain of where you want to climb to, where you want to cross over and come in above the group being stocked. Many times when above it is not possible to see enough below you to find rams that you know are there. Get to the right spot (it always looks different from above) and if you can't see them wait.
Bill

Modern technology can make this a little easier. Before the stalk, snap some pics of the area and use the zoom on your camera to find landmarks if you are unsure of where you are.

SSS

bigwhiteys
05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Modern technology can make this a little easier. Before the stalk, snap some pics of the area and use the zoom on your camera to find landmarks if you are unsure of where you are.

Or set a waypoint on your GPS...

Carl

05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice!!

bigwhiteys
05-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Take baby wipes... A few days of wiping mountain house residue off your a$$ with toilet paper will have you walking like a cowboy that just rode from one coast to the other on a fat horse.

Baby wipes leave you clean and fresh, and if you feel a rash coming on... GOLD BOND & Penaten cream (baby section) will fix you up in a hurry.

Carl

whitetailsheds
05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I've found the last couple trips I've done, using a single, collapsable hiking pole makes things a little easier. Especially, downhill with weight. The hiking poles takes alot of strain walking down the steep stuff or stepping off boulders. Nice to have a longer, third leg......

bigwhiteys
05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I've found the last couple trips I've done, using a single, collapsable hiking pole makes things a little easier. Especially, downhill with weight.

I like to use two poles, then it's like having 4 legs. They make a lot of tough spots easier to traverse, creeks, boulder fields etc... And i have bad knees from Rugby.

Carl

Kody94
05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I like to use two poles, then it's like having 4 legs. They make a lot of tough spots easier to traverse, creeks, boulder fields etc... And i have bad knees from Rugby.

Carl

Its taking time to get used to, but I am appreciating having two hiking poles with me more and more.

safarichris
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
When hunting Bighorns on the Fraser river, I watched seven rams go two days without a drink. Be patient, and wait by the river. The third day they finally came down from the canyon and it was all over in minutes. Lots and lots of patience.

silvertipp
05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
When hunting Bighorns on the Fraser river, I watched seven rams go two days without a drink. Be patient, and wait by the river. The third day they finally came down from the canyon and it was all over in minutes. Lots and lots of patience.
this is a good idea ,if you can find that high elevation water hole check it for tracks as you will be surprised how many animals come for a drink it has worked twice for me

Stone Sheep Steve
05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
A simple tip but very important......."never give up until the hunt is over".
Things can change quickly but if you're already back at the truck/boat/lake the fat lady is already singing.

SSS

bridger
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
if possible don't forget the ribs smoked over a willow fire sheep ribs are hard to beat

proguide66
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
A simple tip but very important......."never give up until the hunt is over".
Things can change quickly but if you're already back at the truck/boat/lake the fat lady is already singing.

SSS
Good one !!!...unbelievable how many people quit!!...too many people say ," no one told me it would be this tough"...AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH....nothing worse than a 'quitter hunter'...NOTHING !!!...choose your partner well.

frenchbar
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Good one !!!...unbelievable how many people quit!!...too many people say ," no one told me it would be this tough"...AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH....nothing worse than a 'quitter hunter'...NOTHING !!!...choose your partner well.

yup..that goes for whatever your hunting ..stay positive ..and things will most always work out...as my old man used to tell me' Rome wasnt built in a day':-D

budismyhorse
05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
If you have to cut the distance in the open....try to do it while they are up feeding. ...........in my experience, they are distracted and uncaring if they are feeding and you can get away with more movement than while they are all bedded and watching.

Fisher-Dude
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Drive around until a full curl ram runs across the road and stands broadside on the bank. Works every time. :wink:

bridger
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
you are kidding right ? the majority of my sheep hunting has been 3 or 4 days horseback travel from the alaska highway. please don't tell me this was unncessary it would break my heart. I mean driving around having a whiskey and listening to a willie nelson tape. com'on that is the way you hunt whitetails not sheep. lol

tbocking
05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I dont have much sheephunting experience but have harvested a sheep before and would love to do a hunt up north
all the advice is absolutly correct especially dont give up and be in shape

Fisher-Dude
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
you are kidding right ? the majority of my sheep hunting has been 3 or 4 days horseback travel from the alaska highway. please don't tell me this was unncessary it would break my heart. I mean driving around having a whiskey and listening to a willie nelson tape. com'on that is the way you hunt whitetails not sheep. lol

Considering my luck with sheep, I may as well road hunt 'em. :mrgreen:

Good friend of mine did shoot a 180 Rocky when he was walking down the road one morning to go chase a bull elk that was bugling. Sometimes it happens!

srupp
05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Great posts guys...I agree with most everything...one thing I did was ensure each and every piece of equipment was investigated and checked for being THE BEST that I could afford..no matter how expensive..I literally went through everything from bootlaces to bullets, rangefinders, boots ,tents ,food each and every piece was purchased and then set up and used..even sleeping in the back yard with the sprinkler going all night..

Practice the shooting...check everything..even top $$$ sometimes have problems...

Once I found, bought the absolute best equipment..and became familiar with it I had eliminated "some" of the factors that could take away time from glassing..and looking for sheep...

I may not be the best sheep hunter but I have gotten the best equipment out there to help me get the job done..

I know with the equipment I have purchased I can stay in the mountains regardless of the weather,no matter how wet, how cold, how windy..

And that includes getting THE BEST optics..I have had many many many different spotting scopes, and Binoculars..and have settled on Swarovski HD...and no matter spotting bears in the thick stuff in Kwatna @ 1500 yards, or stone sheep in the mountains of rock, or lately rocky mountain bighorns..knowing when and where and how can only be helped with really top end optics..well worth the investment...

cheers

Steven

05-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Packing food for a backpack hunt can be complicated and it really sucks to forget something or run out of something before the hunt is over. I used to make ration bags. One breakfast in a small ziplock, one lunch in another, and the evening meal in a third,,,, then put all three in a large ziplock and you have a full days ration. I made up a bunch before each season and when I was going on a backpack hunt I just took the appropriate number of ration bags out of storage and put them in my pack. Plan your calories, you must keep your energy level up.

Also use checklists for assembling your pack or gear before a hunt, that ensures you have everything you need and not a bunch of stuff you don't need. Once your checklists are developed use them year after year. I had several, one for 5 day hunts, another for 10 day hunts, etc. Different ones for horse hunts and backpack hunts, and so on.

Bighorn hunter
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Packing food for a backpack hunt can be complicated and it really sucks to forget something or run out of something before the hunt is over. I used to make ration bags. One breakfast in a small ziplock, one lunch in another, and the evening meal in a third,,,, then put all three in a large ziplock and you have a full days ration. I made up a bunch before each season and when I was going on a backpack hunt I just took the appropriate number of ration bags out of storage and put them in my pack. Plan your calories, you must keep your energy level up.

Also use checklists for assembling your pack or gear before a hunt, that ensures you have everything you need and not a bunch of stuff you don't need. Once your checklists are developed use them year after year. I had several, one for 5 day hunts, another for 10 day hunts, etc. Different ones for horse hunts and backpack hunts, and so on.

Any chance of posting those check lists? Always nice to compare and add or take away from the pack.

Cheers
BH

bigwhiteys
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Any chance of posting those check lists? Always nice to compare and add or take away from the pack.

Cheers
BH
I've got an updated backpack list in an excel spreadsheet, with gear weights and everything that I'll post shortly.

Carl

Bighorn hunter
05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I've got an updated backpack list in an excel spreadsheet, with gear weights and everything that I'll post shortly.

Carl

Thanks Carl

I saw one you posted a while ago but was not able to find it the other day with a search.Throw in a total weight if you happen to know.

Twobucks
05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
6616 - I sometimes break out meals into day-by-day bags, but usually only for canoe trips. Still - I totally agree about making meal plans and measuring out portions.

I'm usually not an over-rganized person, but I make list after list, combining and editing them down to the final master list which I check off as items go in my pack.

It helps to organize the list by theme: cooking, sleeping, shooting/cleaning, clothing and photo gear.

I always lay out my gear on the floor starting about a week before I go -- and I've never left anything important behind. it also lets you lift your pack and decide if something needs to go before one of your knees does!

Flingin' Sticks
05-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Good thread guys. I'd love to do a Sheep hunt someday in the near future, but alas, student wage just doesn't cut it...

I've done a fair bit of backpacking and Search and Rescue stuff, and one thing I can recommend is to buy yourself a food dehydrator. Some of the meals we have been able to have on the trail would boggle your mind (Turkey diner anyone?), and at a fraction of the cost of mountain house packages. Nice thing is you can try whatever you want at home and come up with way more options.

Anthony

silvertipp
05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe in order to keep this thread pure to hunting tips, the equipment talk should go to another ?
Bridgers thread
Bridger has already made comments about gear and the gear you use may make or brake a trip ,i think its all got to do with good hunting tips imo .

bridger
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
gear suggestions fine with me. like the idea of the dehydrator.

Gamebuster
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
good stuff guys.

How about some tips for good food ideas when a hunter doesn't want to be weighed down by a stove, fuel, pot etc...anybody got some good ideas?

Casagrande
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
good stuff guys.

How about some tips for good food ideas when a hunter doesn't want to be weighed down by a stove, fuel, pot etc...anybody got some good ideas?
Look at the MSR Reactor. Or Jetboil

Stone Sheep Steve
05-13-2010, 04:49 AM
good stuff guys.

MRE's are another option but they are much heavier and are only weight-effective for shorter hunts of a few days. Anything over 5-6 days and you would be further ahead by taking a lightweight stove, fuel and pot.

SSS

boxhitch
05-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Or take to option of a day down in the brush
Even willow fires can boil water

Non-cook menu could include trail mix, energy bars, jerky, peanut butter,
dried fruit, ichibum soup
Add hot water to a power bar and some dried apple or pear for a hot cereal.

bridger
05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
to cut down on space and to keep extra clothes dry even in the worst rain storm vacuum pack extra socks, shirts etc. cuts down on the space and keeps them dry.

Wild Images
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Vacume pack an extra roll of tp, you won't believe how small it goes

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
i thing i don't leave home with out is "MOLE SKIN". and duck tape wrapped your water bottle to save on space and weight.

cuervosail
05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
This is a great thread - I'm finding it very helpful. At some point this winter I remember reading past posts about what food to take on a sheep hunt. There were plenty of responses and many different theories about protein vs. fat; dehydrated foods, protein bars ... all that good stuff. I should've copied down the link to that thread, but I didn't. Now that I'm into serious planning mode I can't find it. Who knows the thread I'm talking about and where to find it?

bighornbob
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
This is a great thread - I'm finding it very helpful. At some point this winter I remember reading past posts about what food to take on a sheep hunt. There were plenty of responses and many different theories about protein vs. fat; dehydrated foods, protein bars ... all that good stuff. I should've copied down the link to that thread, but I didn't. Now that I'm into serious planning mode I can't find it. Who knows the thread I'm talking about and where to find it?

Its in this one good luck going through the 40 pages:-D
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6079&highlight=protein+bars

BHB

moose2
05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
This is a long tread so I am not sure if this was mentioned yet.

------I find in sheep country if you hear shale or rocks falling pay attention , animals walking in these areas are quite loud. There location can be given away easily . Quite often one ram on the move will give up the position of others you haven't seen yet.

-------I like to carry two pillow cases with me when I am away from base camp or heading up on a stalk. They fit easily in cargo pants pockets and will allow you to bring a full ram down to your pack or camp. I put the deboned meat in one case and the cape and horns in the other, these can be tied together and slung over your shoulders any way that works. I wouldn,t want to go for ever this way but it works for a couple km's

Hope this helps a bit and thanks to everyone else for their tips
Good Luck Mike

bigwhiteys
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
------I find in sheep country if you hear shale or rocks falling pay attention , animals walking in these areas are quite loud. There location can be given away easily .
A very good tip!

Carl

SHACK
05-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Well heres a couple things I do:

-google "towtabs" they are compressed towels, that double as great TP in a small package!

-Bring at least one black garbage bag, its a great way to melt snow for water if its the only source, fill er up and put it in the sun!

-Mountain house meals can be vacume packed to save even more wieght/space...just bring a small paper clamp to seel the bag after you cut it open for cooking.

bigwhiteys
05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
-google "towtabs" they are compressed towels, that double as great TP in a small package!

I'll bet you have to wash your fingers after... Those tow-tabs are as porous as a chainlink fence. :)

bridger
05-14-2010, 07:19 AM
the garbage bag is a great tip shack thanks really simple and effective

bighornbob
05-14-2010, 08:48 AM
-Mountain house meals can be vacume packed to save even more wieght/space...just bring a small paper clamp to seel the bag after you cut it open for cooking.

Some of the newer ones come vacuum packed. They are called a Pro-Pack. They are 16oz of food instead of the reagular 20oz packs. These are perfect for me as I always had extra food left over with the bigger packages. Here is a link to what they look like.

http://www.rei.com/product/722467

I buy all my Mountain house at REI becuase if you buy 12 you get 10% off plus you get a 5% dividend check every year.

Other tips:

Bought a small roll of duct tape at REI that I always have in my pack. Its rolled onto itself (no cardboard center) and about the diameter of a loonie.

Only carry one type of water container. I carry two 2l platypus water carriers. One has the tube for drinking. I carry no other water bottle (Like a Nalgean) has I already have two that are lighter and more compactable.

On that note I also pre-package some gatorade crystals to the right amount I need to flavour one of the 2l platypus. Its a nice break from drinking straight water for 10 days straight.

I carry a couple extra buckles for my pack (one waist belt and one shoulder strap), if one of these breaks it could ruin a trip.

Also pack a couple of garbage bags. Too many uses to mention here.

Pack an extra bootlace.

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Only carry one type of water container. I carry two 2l platypus water carriers. One has the tube for drinking. I carry no other water bottle (Like a Nalgean) has I already have two that are lighter and more compactable.

On that note I also pre-package some gatorade crystals to the right amount I need to flavour one of the 2l platypus. Its a nice break from drinking straight water for 10 days straight.

Pack an extra bootlace.

BHB

Had Platypus's spring a leak on me twice. Sure they're guaranteed for life but that doesn't matter when you're in the mtns.

Skip the boot lace. Tie a lace if it breaks.:wink: Just think of the weight savings:mrgreen:.

SSS

bighornbob
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Had Platypus's spring a leak on me twice. Sure they're guarrented for life but that doesn't matter when you're in the mtns.SSS

Should maybe go over your gear before you go. Somehow whenever my Platypus's sprung a leak they happened in early July. Not sure why its happened a few weeks before the season:-D

Also if mine springs a leak I will just walk back 25 minites to the truck and grab a Diet pepsi and refill the pockets with Spitz.:mrgreen:

BHB

Mtn Wonderer
05-14-2010, 11:55 PM
ANY OF YOU GUYS PACK A HAMMOND GAME GETTER?

I WOULDN'T GO ON A SHEEP HUNT WITHOUT IT, A GREAT WAY TO GET A LITTLE PTARMIGAN PROTEIN WAY UP IN THE HILLS.
PLUS THERE A LOT LIGHTER THAN THE SLING SHOT AND SMALLER I USED TO CARRY.
NOT AS QUIET AS A SLINGSHOT THOU, BUT NOT TOO LOUD WITH LOW POWER SHOT.WAY MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR ME TOO!!!

YOU COULD DROP PACKING A MEAL OR TWO WITH THIS RIG.

MTW

WWW.HAMMONDGAMEGETTER.COM (http://www.HAMMONDGAMEGETTER.COM)

05-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I have several checklists, rifle hunt lists, bow hunt lists, 10 day hunt lists, 5 day hunt lists, etc. This is the list I used for my Todagin Mt hunt which was only a few hours hike from the road in so the pack was a little heavier then usual. The food list is incomplete as I would take 10 of the previously mentioned food ration bags plus sometimes 1 or 2 extra, especially if it was a fly in hunt.

List For Early Season Ten Day Backpack Archery Sheep hunt:

Clothing:
Boots – new insoles
Wool Socks – 3
Light Polyprop Socks – 5
Gloves
Rain Suit
Vest
Jacket
Hat
Underwear – 2 or 3 sets
Longjohn bottoms - 1 set

Misc./Personal:
Toilet Paper or wipes
Lighters – 2
Waterproof Matches
Towel or wipes
Tube of backpackers soap
Folding toothbrush
Small tube toothpaste
Dental Floss
Mole Skin
Tape
Asprin (Advil/Tylenol)
Vitamin C Pills
Insect Repellant
Sun Screen
Bear Spray
Spare set shoe laces
Reading glasses

Hunting Gear:
Map
Sierra Saw
Knives – 2
Knife Sharpener
Canteen
Light Rope
Pack Sack
Cape Bag
Meat Bag
Cape Salt
Spotting Scope – Tripod
Binoculars
Camera – Film
Video Camera (optional)
Exacto Knife (caping)
Multi Tool (optional)
License and tags (Wallet)

Camping Gear:
Tent with Fly
Sleeping Bag
Matterass
Eating Utensils
Cook Set
Cup
Stove – fuel (test before leaving home)
Flashlight – spare batteries
First Aid Kit
Large Zip Lock Bags – 3 or 4
Garbage Bags – 1 or 2

Archery Equipment:
Bow – Arrows – Quiver
Shooting Glove
String Wax
Sight Wrench
Small Screwdriver
Small Adjustable Wrench
Allen Wrench Set
Range Finder
Sun Glasses

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Instant Coffee
Suger
Coffee Whitener
Brown Sugar

Lunch: Jerky
Trail Mix
Cheeze
Juice Crystals
Crackers
Candy Bars
Power Bars
Dried Fruit

Supper: Mountain house Freeze Dried Food
Coffee – Sugar – Whitener
Hot Chocolate
Cookies

05-15-2010, 07:11 AM
6616 - I sometimes break out meals into day-by-day bags, but usually only for canoe trips. Still - I totally agree about making meal plans and measuring out portions.

I'm usually not an over-rganized person, but I make list after list, combining and editing them down to the final master list which I check off as items go in my pack.

It helps to organize the list by theme: cooking, sleeping, shooting/cleaning, clothing and photo gear.

I always lay out my gear on the floor starting about a week before I go -- and I've never left anything important behind. it also lets you lift your pack and decide if something needs to go before one of your knees does!

I hated that, every time I lifted my pack I tended to take more stuff out.

The one thing I took on all my sheep hunts was a small Sony camcoder and a Nikon F-3 and lots of film (didn't have a digital camera). Am I ever glad I did, good video and photos are very important, especially when one reaches that point in life where one can't hunt the high remote mountains anymore.

SHACK
05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I'll bet you have to wash your fingers after... Those tow-tabs are as porous as a chainlink fence. :)

Bwahahahahahahaha, sure they are a little porous, but they are tuff and if you fold em up once or twice your gonna keep clean! ;) :mrgreen: Besides, wet arse wipe dont work, and wet ones work about as well as water and greese!:-D

whitetailsheds
05-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Guess it goes without saying around here but spend time at the range. Was never one to be confident shooting past 300 yds years past.
Practice those 350 -400 shots. Came in handy in getting my first ram (380 yds).

mfarrally
05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
sorry to hijack the thread but here's last years sheep that i just got back. Next is Dalls in August

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/DSCN1230.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/DSCN1232.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/DSCN1233.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/DSCN0988.jpg

As far as tips go, lots of glassing!

bridger
05-16-2010, 08:12 AM
one important item not yet mentioned for new sheep hunters is wear suspenders on your hunting pants.

pitbell
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM
This is a great thread guys.
The only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is salt for the cape.

05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
This is a great thread guys.
The only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is salt for the cape.

It's on my checklist, but one also needs to be aware that it's very onerous for a backpaxk hunter to carry an adequate amount. It's quite critical especially in the warmer weather of August to get your cape and meat out to civilization as quickly as possible so you can look after it properly and preserve it's quality. Wild sheep meat is some of the best there is.

BromBones
05-16-2010, 11:20 AM
It's on my checklist, but one also needs to be aware that it's very onerous for a backpaxk hunter to carry an adequate amount.

Indeed. I carry only enough to rub a little salt in the lips/ears, etc., until I can get it back to base camp or home, whichever comes first. I can't really say that's from experience though, as I'm going on half a dozen sheep adventures but haven't pulled the trigger yet.:-D

I do that with bears though, and have kept bear hides for up to 3 days with a minimal amount of salt used, and they have a lot more fat/grease on the hide and potential for heating up than a sheep does.

Also, for capes, try not to keep them in the freezer too long, especially if they are salted heavily. You can dry them out to the point where they are no longer useful. Get it to the taxi right away, otherwise clean the salt off and triple bag it if you have to keep it frozen for a long period.

boxhitch
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
try not to keep them in the freezer too long, especially if they are salted heavily.The myth continues. No need to freeze if salted, no need to salt if frozen. Its one or the other.

BromBones
05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
The myth continues. No need to freeze if salted, no need to salt if frozen. Its one or the other.

Indeed you are right. I suppose I should have been more specific.:) No need to freeze if salted, and completely dried.

What I meant, was the capes that are salted after the animal is harvested, and then chucked in the freezer - still raw, and stilll have the salt on them. Good way to ruin a cape/hide. Seen it done many times.

bridger
05-16-2010, 07:57 PM
it is important to get your cape dry or frozen asap. most of us have to rely on getting it dry. takes about 2lbs of table salt. flesh your cape carefully salt it well then roll it up and let the salt work for a day or so then if you are having hot weather roll it out and sun dry it then roll it back up and store it in shady spot

safarichris
05-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Just to mention when caping, Take a lot of cape, well behind the shoulders if not taking a lifesize cape. Take your time turning the ears, lips and nose. A simple small double bladed pocket knife worked well for me, as all cuts in the hide have to be sewn by Taxidermist. That little extra salt might be a burden to carry, but could payoff in the long run and try to keep your salt dry.

05-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I have never hunted sheep, but have hunted goats a lot. As far as caping goes, I always carry a scalpel handle with about 12 blades (#20 size). Super light, and awesome for those delicate spots (ears, lips, etc).

05-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Those really small Exacto knives work pretty well too.

bridger
05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
also a good idea to take a small piece of wood rounded and flattened on the ends to helpt turn the ears

srupp
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I switched to the 'Havalon...PIRANTA " knife in the steel handle instead of plastic..I bring along 5 extra stainless steel surgical sharp blades..60xt..and they are awesome...highly recomended...the blades are incredibly sharp and stay that way a long time..super fine cuts....

Just for experience I did the entire bear I shot 2 weeks ago entirely with 2 blades...better job, faster...just BE CAREFUL they are incredibly sharp no pulling on the hide with one hand with knife in the other...

better equipment...

I also recomend a good or great rangefinder it is hard up in the mountains to judge distance....on last years stone sheep..I "guessed " 150 yards as I was getting the Leica rangefinder out , just to see how my estimate was...the actual distance was 318 yards...

steven

bigwhiteys
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I switched to the 'Havalon...PIRANTA " knife in the steel handle instead of plastic..I bring along 5 extra stainless steel surgical sharp blades..60xt..and they are awesome...highly recomended...the blades are incredibly sharp and stay that way a long time..super fine cuts....

Good to know... I was going to buy one at back country in FSJ on my way up north this year. Save some weight over my handmade knife/sheath and the interchangable blades are cheap to buy and handy to use.

Carl

srupp
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Carl you will LOVE this knife..well made small and light and surgical scalpel steel and the blade is 2" long and sharpened the whole way..nothing you have will be this sharp..and way better than the plastic handled scalpels..or the craft knifes..

save on knife weight and sharpener...and get better cuts....

steven

GoatGuy
05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I have never hunted sheep, but have hunted goats a lot. As far as caping goes, I always carry a scalpel handle with about 12 blades (#20 size). Super light, and awesome for those delicate spots (ears, lips, etc).

Works good. Got a smaller handle as well and use #10s, works great. Couple blades and a leatherman will get 'er all done.

Leatherman is key, has saved more hunting trips, broken scope mounts, boots, packs, tents etc.

BCbillies
05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Tried an air drop last year and worked pretty good for salt and bonus food . . . packaging is everything! For a 15 day hunt and no base camp it's the small things that count.

Traded the SPOT in for a sat phone and it proved useful. Made a call one week into the trip for a weather update to help strategize the final week.

Ditto on the extra buckles. Extra ammo is key should a guy need to resight the rifle.

pg83
05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Great thread. I have picked up some very useful things for my future sheep hunt. Thanks all.

BCrams
05-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Carl you will LOVE this knife..well made small and light and surgical scalpel steel and the blade is 2" long and sharpened the whole way..nothing you have will be this sharp..and way better than the plastic handled scalpels..or the craft knifes..

save on knife weight and sharpener...and get better cuts....

steven

A fellow showed me the knife about 3 weeks ago. It is pretty sweet and I likely will pick one up. I've made do with those lightweight exacto knives for caping with no problems to date so far.

kootenayslam
05-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Sandals.....if you can find a super light weight pair of sandals, lots out there, they are sure nice for around camp when your trying to Dry out your boots.....i won't go without mine this year.

bigwhiteys
05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Sandals.....if you can find a super light weight pair of sandals, lots out there, they are sure nice for around camp when your trying to Dry out your boots.....i won't go without mine this year.

I use the foam croc style of shoes. There are tons of them out there... Very light weight.

Carl

Kody94
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I use the foam croc style of shoes. There are tons of them out there... Very light weight.

Carl

I used them for the first time last year too...they were way better than sandals or pool shoes I've used in the past. Lighter, more foot protection when stream crossing, they dried pretty much instantly, and were more comfortable around camp.

bigwhiteys
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Another Tip is to buy Thorlo "Trekking" socks. They are the best socks I've ever had and seriously make a difference in foot comfort.

Right now it's buy 3 get 1 pair free direct from Thorlo.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Another Tip is to buy Thorlo "Trekking" socks. They are the best socks I've ever had and seriously make a difference in foot comfort.

Right now it's buy 3 get 1 pair free direct from Thorlo.

Carl

I picked up some last yr and was very impressed:cool:. Great padding!

SSS

BCrams
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Another perspective. I tried Thorlo last year but the thicker padding didn't gel with me for feel. No doubt for the right persons they're great socks and SSS really liked them.

I currently and have for years used the InGenius socks for hunting and will continue to use them .....

There is another brand that I tested last year that was one of the more comfortable socks I have ever worn.

Lorpen socks. http://www.lorpen.com/lorpen-na/

I have used them extensively for almost a year now for hunting, recreation hiking, and this past winter, nordic / skate skiing at the club all season.

bigwhiteys
05-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I currently and have for years used the InGenius socks for hunting and will continue to use them .....

I've tried the InGenius and couldn't wear them, they were too thin... I need the extra cushioning. When I played Rugby I was in the forwards and was in lots of scrums/rucks, because of the constant pushing off the balls of my feet I developed a tender spot on the ball of my right foot where the cleat of my boot constantly pushed into that spot.

To this day that one spot starts hurting like a basturd after 3-4 days in the hills, especially on rocks. Thorlos and a good insole seem to help the best so far, also soaking my foot in a cold creek helps.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Another perspective. I tried Thorlo last year but the thicker padding didn't gel with me for feel. No doubt for the right persons they're great socks and SSS really liked them.

There is another brand that I tested last year that was one of the more comfortable socks I have ever worn.

I have used them extensively for almost a year now for hunting, recreation hiking, and this past winter, nordic / skate skiing at the club all season.

You certainly need to keep the thickness of the Thorlo's in mind when you buy your boots. I also ordered the Thorlo liners and found that my boots were too tight when wearing both pairs of socks. I went back to my slim blue poly liners and the fit worked for me.

SSS

SHACK
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM

I have been using LORPEN socks for about 4 years now, and they are my #1 sock as well, for everything.

Another tip, if it hasn't been mentioned, buy yourself some gators, they keep the water off your lower legs & out of your boots from wicking down your socks, be it from transfer such as dew, snow, raindrops, or quick water crossings!

GoatGuy
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Used ingenius for a long time. Have hung them up in favour of smartwool. Have a bunch of different pairs, even some that I use for running. Works great.

Kody94
05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I've tried a bunch of different socks (incl Thorlo, but not ingenius), and have had best results so far with Smartwool.

Too much cushion makes my feet move around inside my boot. The thickness of smartwool trekking, sometimes with a wigwam gobi liner, seems to be just right for me.

leadpillproductions
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
What about a good insoles who make a good one

boxhitch
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Have a bunch of different pairs, even some that I use for running. Works great.Me too. Some for marathons, skydiving, wrestling don't get much use.
Have used cheap madeincanada Duray sox for years. 40% wool 55% polypropylene. Used with blue poly liners.
Almost too warm most days, good cushion, two new pair each year that go to second string use after hunting season.
Will never pay $20 for sox.

GoatGuy
05-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I've tried a bunch of different socks (incl Thorlo, but not ingenius), and have had best results so far with Smartwool.

Too much cushion makes my feet move around inside my boot. The thickness of smartwool trekking, sometimes with a wigwam gobi liner, seems to be just right for me.

Chels says wearing them is like walking on pillows.

Gateholio
05-20-2010, 02:35 PM
PG66 blatantly STOLE my last pair of $18 Thorlos! And they were VERY comfy. I wore them ONCE:evil:

Kody94
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
PG66 blatantly STOLE my last pair of $18 Thorlos! And they were VERY comfy. I wore them ONCE:evil:

You are twice his size and know exactly where he lives! You should be posting here how you beat him to a bloody pulp for stealing your favorite socks. ;)

Or are you saying that you decided after the fact to give him your socks? :p

GoatGuy
05-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Me too. Some for marathons, skydiving, wrestling don't get much use.
Have used cheap madeincanada Duray sox for years. 40% wool 55% polypropylene. Used with blue poly liners.
Almost too warm most days, good cushion, two new pair each year that go to second string use after hunting season.
Will never pay $20 for sox.

You can catch them on sale around this time of year. Half price probably!

They last a long time, unless of course you drive an axe through one of them.:mrgreen:

gbear
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
You certainly need to keep the thickness of the Thorlo's in mind when you buy your boots. I also ordered the Thorlo liners and found that my boots were too tight when wearing both pairs of socks. I went back to my slim blue poly liners and the fit worked for me.

SSS

I ran into the same issue. They do seem like good socks, but were too thick to fit properly in my boot. At least I can wear them in my winter boots ok.

bridger
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
where can your order thorlo's

gbear
05-21-2010, 06:32 AM
where can your order thorlo's

Last fall I found them at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Kody94
05-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Last fall I found them at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Keep in mind that MEC is a funder of the anti-grizzly bear hunt campaign, gbear!

They've seen the last of my hard earned money!

bigwhiteys
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Order your Thorlos online right through Thorlo.

Carl

daycort
05-21-2010, 09:23 AM
For those of us that can not afford the thorlo sock, check out the redhead hunting sock from bass pro(lifetime gurantee). My neighbor who has climbed more mountains then I will in 2 life times told me about them. only 9.99.

blackbart
05-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I must be doing something wrong in regards to socks. I wear the same genaric wool socks while back pack hunting that I wear every other day of the year. $20 for a pair of socks = WTF in my mind.

I also wear the same kind of boxers that I do every other day of the year. Previous advice regarding baby wipes is usefull in this department.

bridger
05-22-2010, 05:54 AM
I must be doing something wrong in regards to socks. I wear the same genaric wool socks while back pack hunting that I wear every other day of the year. $20 for a pair of socks = WTF in my mind.

I also wear the same kind of boxers that I do every other day of the year. Previous advice regarding baby wipes is usefull in this department.

so true the best sheep guide i have ever known wore blue jeans and moosehide moccassins with mocassion rubbers the entire season and never missed a beat. guess you make do with what you have on hand.

boxhitch
05-22-2010, 06:26 AM
moosehide moccassins with mocassion rubbers
make do with what you have on hand.On hand? never tried that

Actually not a bad idea, considering what you have to pay for boots that don't keep your feet dry. Nice and light too.

moose2
05-22-2010, 07:55 AM
A good tip I learned from my partner last year was to carry a roll of electrical tape with you . This wrapped a few times around water proof pants over top of waterproof boots make instant hip waders for stream crossings. This speeds your trip up and reduces the chance of injuring bare feet in creek crossings. It also makes the October crossings alot more comfortable. We all crossed creeks up to thigh deep and stayed dry, and never had delays for undressing or dressing . Two of us had waterproof hunting pants and the third used light weight rain gear taped to boots it all worked well.
Mike

whitetailsheds
05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I had been told this early on in the start of my sheep hunting, if you're seeing ewes and lambs, move on and look elsewhere for rams.
Found this to be true 99% of the time. Depends on time of year. Later on the rams will start making the move looking for the gals.
When u find a ram, look for several. Pick over that hillside or cliffs for more.

Bighorn hunter
05-22-2010, 01:02 PM
As is the case with most animals, glass morning and night for best success.But also I have found with sheep you can generally count on them to get up for a dump and a nible around 2 in the afternoon as well.

boxhitch
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Have sheep move around and feed to various extents right through the morning hours
But just like cattle, when they go down at 1 p.m. it is for most of the afternoon. Can usually count on 3-4 hours of siesta, good time to close the distance.

bonecracker
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
If you pack nalgne bottles wrap lots of duct tape around them. More than a handyman's secret weapon. Better than moleskin and everyone has seen what Red Green can do with it. Someone said earlier to take a book. Good advice. Spent 3 days in a tent without anything and just about went crazy. If you're a sledder and have Klim under gear, use it . Awesome stuff. No need to buy different stuff for hunting. Same could be said for using hunting gear for sledding. Good pair of mechanics/thin klim/thin, lightweight, fast drying gloves. I wear em the whole trip. Keeps the hot spots away from hiking poles, devils club away, gravel rash when you slip, etc, etc. Lip balm/sunscreen. The same stuff the skiers/sledders use. Up high, your lips can crack up pretty bad. Heard of a guy that packs a foam pad, that gardeners use to kneel on, to keep the roids away while sitting on cold rocks glassing. Ball cap/sweat band to keep the sweat out of your eyes. Sounds common sense but..... Ewes and lambs=keep walking. Watch the treeline and into the trees as much as the open areas. There are a lot of big rams that have figured out to stay out of the open.
Hopefully these are a few things that may help some guys out that I have learned the hard way. Thanks for the the great ideas on the other replies. Great thread.

SteadyGirl
05-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I got one .. don't set your tent on a grizzly trail ... lol ...
Jel .. a very important one to remember ..

i'm suprised i laughed that hard at something that isn't/shouldn't be funny!
What isn't a grizz trail in the whiteswan and I'll go hunt that

whitetailsheds
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
"There is no deep dark strategies involved with sheep hunting. Just a lot of hard climbing, find a mountain that you are confident holds rams and spot (glass until your eyeballs fall out) and stalk. The most important equipment for a sheep hunter are strong legs, boots, binoculars, spotting scope, and tons of patience to glass.
There is no secret formula" - 6616

Well stated Andy.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
This is the first time I've had a scale available when putting components of my pack together.

For a 14 day trip my food weight is 14 lbs.... 1 lb/day. I remember reading somewhere that it should be closer to 1 1/2 lbs.

How do your food weights compare???

SSS

BromBones
07-17-2010, 04:41 PM
For a 14 day trip my food weight is 14 lbs.... 1 lb/day. I remember reading somewhere that it should be closer to 1 1/2 lbs.

You'll end up half-starved, and be scrounging through BCRams' leftovers asking "Hey buddy, you gonna eat that??" :-D

I've weighed my day portions before, and it's usually just a bit over 1 lb/day.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-18-2010, 07:06 AM
You'll end up half-starved, and be scrounging through BCRams' leftovers asking "Hey buddy, you gonna eat that??" :-D

I've weighed my day portions before, and it's usually just a bit over 1 lb/day.

Too funny! First yr I hunted with BCR he showed up with mostly double portions of Chicken Gumbo from Alpineair. Loaded with calories and protein...highest he could find. Turned out is was a "tad" spicy for him and guess who got to finish it off for him almost every night?:-D I'd wolf down my Mtn House double portions and would be sitting there wagging my tail waiting for him to pass me his leftovers:mrgreen:.

Still ended up almost starving:?.

SSS

Mtnhunter
07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
The Havalon Piranta is a great knife and interchangeable with the #22 blade for doing the face/ears!
For keeping your salt dry put it in a 1 litre dry pop bottle and that should be enough for a Sheep capes' first salting! You should have left more salt at the lake/truck before heading in!

Alpine85
07-18-2010, 07:50 AM
This is the first time I've had a scale available when putting components of my pack together.

How do your food weights compare???

SSS

Brent, my food is usually right at or a hair under 1 1/4 pounds per day and comes out to 2340 calories per day.

digger dogger
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
A baggie of cornstarch, to stop B.S.T.L. (bag stuck to leg)
A dip of cornstarch and a alpine breeze = speed dry.

leadpillproductions
12-13-2010, 12:27 AM
one of the best threads fore sure

Sleep Robber
12-13-2010, 01:50 AM
It doesn't have to be a big one but a FIRST AID KIT with some good bandages,tensors,gauze etc. in a ziplock bag or mini vacuum pack bag. You never know when you or your partner are gonna get in a jam, and it could be a fair amount of time before you can receive the necessary medical help needed. Your duct/electricians tape can come in handy for this purpose also, as well as any clothing for slings, tourniquets that you may need, or in case of serious bleeding. It is a good thing for one of you to know your basic first aid as well. Remember, broken limbs and bad cuts etc. can happen very easily out in the field, and you want to be prepared for these misfortunes.

Satellite phones can get a hold of the appropriate help you need, but it's still gonna be a while before they get to you, if you even have one.

I'm not trying to play mom here, but some people forget about these things all together.

Great thread, great tips, and yes, the lightweight Helly Hanson rain gear is the best by far, good and stretchy and folds down into nothing. I won't leave home without it :-D

spear
12-24-2010, 04:29 PM
This is an awesome thread, so many good tips, could take years to get all the gear.

Alpine Addict
12-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Wrangler jeans, carharrt jacket, a good pack and some optics. pack a couple cans of fruit and tuna and your a bonnified sheep hunter

GoatGuy
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Wrangler jeans, carharrt jacket, a good pack and some optics. pack a couple cans of fruit and tuna and your a bonnified sheep hunter

don't forget the gum boots.

Alpine Addict
12-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Oops. Thanks for catching that GG. Also bring a garbage bag to sit on incase its raining. A dry bum is a happy bum

spear
12-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Where did you get your dall Alpine Addict?

Alpine Addict
12-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I didn't shoot it. I guide in the YK.

bigwhiteys
12-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Also bring a garbage bag to sit on incase its raining. A dry bum is a happy bum

That's a good tip, I usually just take off one of my gaitors and sit on that, when we stop to glass.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I use my Ridge Rest to sit on. Keeps your butt dry and warm. That's the advantage of the RR over an inflatable sleeping pad. Sure, they're not near as comfy to sleep on but at least they're multi-functional.

SSS

boxhitch
12-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Opt for the cushion instead of the plastic bag, imo
Its raining, you have rain pants on. The rocks are hard whether its wet or dry.
A small piece of 3/4" blue foamy fits under the strings of a daypack.

bridger
12-24-2010, 09:10 PM
don't know if it has been posted or not but take an extra pair of boot laces.

leadpillproductions
12-24-2010, 10:13 PM
what are you guys useing for sleeping bags aug trip

bigwhiteys
12-24-2010, 10:24 PM

For an August trip you still want something capable of handling freezing temps. After using a down bag backpacking this year, there is no way I'll ever go back to a synthetic.

Exped Downmat 7 and Valandre Bloody Mary down bag is my current lightweight August setup.

Carl

Kody94
12-24-2010, 10:29 PM
For an August trip you still want something capable of handling freezing temps. After using a down bag backpacking this year, there is no way I'll ever go back to a synthetic.

Exped Downmat 7 and Valandre Bloody Mary down bag is my current lightweight August setup.

Carl

I'm with you on that.

My current setup is the Exped Downmat 7 and a MontBell UL Spiral Down Hugger.

CSG
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM
If you decide to drop your pack to put on a stalk...

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE TIME TO GET REFERENCE POINTS ON WERE YOU ARE LEAVING YOUR PACK

everyone mentions that it is hard to see sheep on the mountain side, well trying to find your brown pack on the side of a brown mountain can be a real pain if you dropped it in a moment of excitement.

kebes
12-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Not sure who it was, might have been in one of big whitey's posts, but they mentioned a strong lightweight 8x10 tarp??? I'm assuming that's pretty necessary for a decent camp? Anyone know where to pick one of those suckers up?

BCbillies
12-25-2010, 12:19 AM

Integral Designs -10 Down Bag with Pertex coating and I'm loving it! Will likely try to drop a pound and save room with my sleeping mat next year and go with the NeoAir at 14 oz and sleep in comfort on 2.5" of cushion. :-D

KB90
12-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Not sure who it was, might have been in one of big whitey's posts, but they mentioned a strong lightweight 8x10 tarp??? I'm assuming that's pretty necessary for a decent camp? Anyone know where to pick one of those suckers up?

Sil-Tarp,

I got mine at atmosphere

blackbart
12-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Baby wipes.

leadpillproductions
12-25-2010, 11:54 PM
If a guy doesnt or cant spend 600 on a pack what is the best option for 300 or less

troutseeker
12-26-2010, 12:00 AM
There are lot's of pack in the 300 range that will do just fine. Every so often you find great deals on the exchange.

If I were you, I'd look at buying the pack Devilbear is selling right now. It's a Dana design 7000 (pre-mystery ranch MR7000), lots of room! That pack would make a great sheep hunting pack and the price is awesome!

pnbrock
12-26-2010, 12:02 AM
got my mr 6500 off ebay $400

leadpillproductions
12-26-2010, 09:54 PM
There are lot's of pack in the 300 range that will do just fine. Every so often you find great deals on the exchange.

If I were you, I'd look at buying the pack Devilbear is selling right now. It's a Dana design 7000 (pre-mystery ranch MR7000), lots of room! That pack would make a great sheep hunting pack and the price is awesome!
I LOOKED INTO THAT ONE HIS WONT FIT I NEED A LARGE

Deaddog
12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
If a guy doesnt or cant spend 600 on a pack what is the best option for 300 or less

If you just need a pack to get you by for a couple of years get a camp trails frame with a moose bag....not the best but we used them for years sheep and elk hunting and they certainly got us by..DD

pnbrock
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
i bought the cheaper pack,should have paid more first time ends up cheaper than buying 1cheap aswell as a better pack.

BromBones
12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Bite the bullet and spend money on a good pack - it can make all the difference in the world.

My internal frame is pretty well tore up, and I'll be replacing it with a Badlands 'OX' pack for this year. I got to test out my buds new one this fall - it is an absolute tank, extremely well made, solid, and very comfortable with the 120+ lbs of meat I had strapped on. Right around $500 for the pack.

proguide66
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's a sheep tip!

its FUN...dont forget it.....and you get one or even a BIG one...it WONT change who you are...lather up in the mountain experience ,take lots of pictures and maybe you will end up with a mount that will ONLY remind you of the blood/sweat and tears of that time in yer life every time you look at it!:-D

good luck.

Vanman1985
12-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Excellent thread!!! Lots of great info!! Thanks guys!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Here's a sheep tip!

its FUN...dont forget it.....and you get one or even a BIG one...it WONT change who you are...lather up in the mountain experience ,take lots of pictures and maybe you will end up with a mount that will ONLY remind you of the blood/sweat and tears of that time in yer life every time you look at it!:-D

good luck.

Absolutely!! If you head into every sheep hunt with that attitude ALL your sheep hunts will be "successful" whether someone cuts a tag or not....and no one can take that away from you...even if some on here try repeatedly:mrgreen:.

SSS

combine pilot
12-27-2010, 10:40 PM
I have used Cabelas MT050 for about 5 yrs. Works really well but is a little warm for Aug/early Sept hunting. Last year I switched up and went with the new UnderArmour raingear. Smaller and lighter. It also worked extremely well. The type of rain gear depends on time of year and wether you are wearing 1 layer or multiple layers. Sometimes all I wear is the MT050 and take nothing else, where as with the UnderArmour I take a light pair of pants to wear underneath. I also find with wearing these types of raingear makes creek and river crossings easier as I just use electrical tape to tape up my pants at my boots and walk through without having to remove boots and clothing.

spear
12-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Brombones, do you think that Ox pack is capable of carrying gear for a 10 day trip, was fitting one up today but it didnt seem too big

Deaddog
12-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Here's a sheep tip!

good luck.

best piece of advice so far!!

BromBones
12-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Brombones, do you think that Ox pack is capable of carrying gear for a 10 day trip, was fitting one up today but it didnt seem too big

I think it'd be no problem. You'll find once all the pockets are stuffed full it's got plenty of volume. It's 4500 cu. in = about 75 liters. My internal frame pack is 80 liters, and I can live out of it for 2 weeks.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
This is a good thread thought I would bump it....

something's I learned as I got older and fatter is you don't need to hike 12-15 km a day and have that feeling your in a race or competition , slow and steady you will see more and feel a lot better at the end of each day.

I like to hike 6-8 km a day taking time to glass a lot and enjoy the mountains ....like everyone says the ram is just a bonus....

Caveman
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks for bringing this one back up, as I'm going in one one in a few weeks

spear
07-06-2013, 11:15 PM
good resurrection, im heading into muskwa august 10th. Good to read through all the posts again.

Displaced Nova Scotian
07-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I just spent the better part of two hours reading the first eleven pages of this post and wanted to thank all you sheep guys for laying out this information. I am just looking now at preparing for a sheep hunt next year and this post has opened my eyes up a lot.

I may pm some of you with questions regarding gear and if you live on the Island we aught to get together for a beer, so I can hear your stories!

Abashai
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Absolutely!! If you head into every sheep hunt with that attitude ALL your sheep hunts will be "successful" whether someone cuts a tag or not....and no one can take that away from you...even if some on here try repeatedly:mrgreen:.

SSS

Only sheep hunt I've ever been on was an amazing success.... and we didn't even see one sheep. Never going back to the area but its still probably my favorite hunting trip I've ever gone on. The experience was just fun! That being said I'm picking through this thread to improve my odds for the next time I get the opportunity to head out!

Muleymaniac
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Anyone on here use the ultra lite cot by thermarest? It's a bit of extra weight but I'm thinking the comfort of a solid sleep will make up for it.
Thanks
Mark

combine pilot
07-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Instead of the cot look at therm-a-rest neo-air x-therm. 2 1/2 in thick at 15 oz.

North
07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
What do stones do in the hot weather? Will the try to catch a breeze up high or hang out in the shade down low? Thanks for all the good info on the thread.

BCbillies
07-28-2013, 11:05 PM
What do stones do in the hot weather? Will the try to catch a breeze up high or hang out in the shade down low? Thanks for all the good info on the thread.

Hot weather is your friend. They prefer it up high to catch a breeze, often bedded in loose shale/soil to keep cool, also seen them bed on snow patches when good and hot.

Overall advice for sheep hunting - go into every trip as if it's your last and you won't have any regrets!

GoatGuy
07-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Hot weather is your friend. They prefer it up high to catch a breeze, often bedded in loose shale/soil to keep cool, also seen them bed on snow patches when good and hot.

Overall advice for sheep hunting - go into every trip as if it's your last and you won't have any regrets!

and if it isn't windy, sometimes you'll catch 'em down in the bush rubbing their itchy ****....... true story.

Cat catcher
08-03-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm getting ready for my first sheep hunt and this thread is great. After a recent health scare, I'm not going to wait any longer, plane is booked just need a couple more things for the trip. Don't wait till its to late.

Backwoods
08-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Awesome thanks for taking the time to write that up! I'll take some of your knowledge and experience too the mountains this weekend! Headed out on my second sheep hunt ever! Going for 10-12days

BPH
08-03-2016, 08:04 PM
This is a very good thread for the up coming sheep hunters

The most important thing in mountain hunting is being mentally strong and staying positive
Make the most of your time, if the ceiling is low and your stuck in camp, do stuff, make a better fire pit, gather more wood, make sure your optics are clean and your ready for any break in the weather ...

For the old timers, don't get compliance
I've been mtn hunting for a while now, and this year I've found I'm getting too confortable with bears
I use to always have my rifle in hands reach,
This year on a scouting trip , I stop for lunch, drop my pack n grab the camelback to refill it in the stream , I was about 15' off the main trail , I sat for a few min before Goin down to the creek. I walk back out to the trail to see a bear about 15-20 feet up the trail coming my way... I yelled and it looked me over n took off, if it was a sow with cubs it could have went a lot different . It's was a good reality check for me

I'm not sure about BC right now but Alberta is seeing record rain fail. Some stream crossings that have been easy in the past have become one wrong step away from a very bad day , that was last week
The upcoming weather isn't looking good for the opener , only more rain
I'm guessing this will be the highest rivers levels I've ever had to cross to make it into my spot

Good luck out there & whether you think you can or think you can't
Your right