PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GPS....

tazerdogg
05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a good quality GPS and just wondering what some of you already use. I do not have one at all, and don't know much about them. So I'm asking all the usual questions and looking for some feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of certain units. Thanks for your reply.....Rob.

Shooter
05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I have the Garmin Etrex. Its the first one I have owned and it does the trick for me. Its super simple to operate and it was cheap. $65 or something like that on sale. The downside to it is the fact that the signal is really weak under tree cover. But I figure if I take a waypoint of my truck before I head into the timber, even if I lose my signal for most of the hike the worst case scenario is me climbing a tree or getting out from under the canopy for long enough to get a signal and at least then I can take a compass bearing to get me back to the truck. And I have never lost the signal for a whole hike I am just saying worst case scenario. I think the more you spend the better the reception should be and also the more bells and whistles you will have. Personally for me being new to the units I wanted one as simple as could be without all the bells and whistles.

andyp007
05-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I have used many Garmins and would recommend them, but I am sure others are good as well. Either a 76Cx or 60Cx are very reliable, easy to use, fairly in-expensive(300ish) and will get decent accuracy under the timber. The 60 cx i am using gets about 3m accuracy most of the day. I also have an old 76 that works well also but doesn't get very good accuracy in the trees, for the extra bucks get a Cx model. Hope this helps.

srupp
05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
hmmm I was told many many many moons ago that i had the first "civillian " GPS in the Cariboo..and since that unit have had many others...

In view of that I can highly recomend the Lowrance I FINDER HUNT..I have stuck to the mono grey version and not updated to a color unit..uses much more power..

I bought "the pack" that includes the topgraphic updated mapping dvd for updating maps..with TOPOGRAPHIC ELEVATIONS..

A very good unit that has done everything I have asked..and then some..picks up sattalights even under tree canopy, decent battery life..can down load and make my own custom maps etc etc etc

Steven

Gateholio
05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I've ben looking at the newish Garmin Oregon ones, with the preloaded topo maps. ANyone know anything about them?

adder
05-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I've ben looking at the newish Garmin Oregon ones, with the preloaded topo maps. ANyone know anything about them?

i just got the oregon 450t a few weeks ago and so far i am impressed
it comes preloaded with topo maps of canada, its touchscreen, and super easy to use. It also works great in the timber
it was 500 ish

BiG Boar
05-10-2010, 07:19 AM
if you got an iphone, they work really well on certain hunts. Not good for a week long hike in hunt, but any trip where you can charge it off a quad or truck or boat they are pretty wicked for hunting. They have google earth built in with GPS so you can see if there is a clear cut or a field or how high the hills are where youre going. I like being able to know how big a clear cut is before spending the time hiking into it, it also will tell you how old roughly a clear cut is. Not got all the other features, like water proof, ect.

Steeleco
05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
When I was shopping for my GPS 3 years or so back, the Colorado's were having issues of all kinds. But I'm sure they're ironed them out by now. But at the time the best unit around was the Garmin 60Csx. For a newbie it's very user friendly and very informative. The only thing to consider short of the Colorado, is weather or not you want to talk to a hunting buddy while in the field. If so have a look at the Garmin Rino line of GPS units.

tuchodi
05-10-2010, 08:19 AM
We use the Garmin Rhino 530 and they have been really good. They get good reception in all conditions and are very accurate, water proof and best is they are in color. I used to have the grey scale ones and the new colored unit are way easier to see in all light conditions. With the radio's and GPS all in one it cuts down on an extra piece of equipment you need to carry. The new Garmin 60csx is also a real good unit if you don't need a radio.

Gateholio
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
if you got an iphone, they work really well on certain hunts. Not good for a week long hike in hunt, but any trip where you can charge it off a quad or truck or boat they are pretty wicked for hunting. They have google earth built in with GPS so you can see if there is a clear cut or a field or how high the hills are where youre going. I like being able to know how big a clear cut is before spending the time hiking into it, it also will tell you how old roughly a clear cut is. Not got all the other features, like water proof, ect.

I've got a Itelephone, but I think you need to be in a cell phone coverage area for that stuff to work.

DGuest
05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I got the Garmin GPSmap 60 Cx this year for christmas. I figured out how to use it just messing around christmas morning with it, no manual required, usually gets 3m accuracy even in thick woods. My dad has one of the newer etrex and he got pretty jealous after he saw how strong a signal I was able to get. Signal strength isn't the only thing to think about, it's also the rate at which it acquires satellites. If your as impatient as I am you'll want something that can get you on the move quick, my dads etrex takes 5min just to tell me I'm getting 40m accuracy.

The 60Cx is reasonably priced and easy to use. Dad's now got his eye on the oregon series, my only concern with them would be how long the battery lasts. The more gadgets you get on them and the better color screens they have the faster they will chew up your battery life.

Sideofabarn
05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Another vote for the Garmin 60 Cxs. I have one, and I've used them for work and play purposes. I'm something of a technophobe, and I can assure you that they're user friendly. I have some experience with the etrex, and they look like a fine entry level model, which means you'll likely end up upgrading within a few seasons. This year I plan on purchasing the topo canada software (about $160).

Mauser98
05-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I started off using a Garmin Etrex Legend. I used it for one hunt and decided it wasn't suitable for my needs. Major drawbacks included very poor signal reception under any kind of canopy, non-color screen and lack of memory. With only 8mb, it will not even hold one map segment of Garmin's Topo Canada V4.

After a bit of research I upgraded to a Garmin GPSMap 60 Cx. This one has the features I wanted. Color screen, unbelievable reception under a canopy and it takes up to a 4gb micro-SD card so it can hold a LOT of map segments. The unit is smallish and has very good battery life if one is careful. And the price on these units keeps dropping. They are listed at $289.95 at GPSCentral.ca in Calgary.

I realize that the newer Dakota 20 and Oregon units would probably serve as well but they weren't available when I was shopping.

FYI, Garmin has listed their Colorado line as being discontinued.

Tanya
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Love the Garmin Oregon. I am "old", and I find it user friendly, and hubby likes them cause the touch screen is big enough for man fingers and he doesn't have to take the glasses off to read it.

mikeman20
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
@ mauser98 - you must have had an old version of the etrex ledgend because mine has a colour screen, works well even indoors and for $15 i stuck a micro sd card in it to put the memory up to 8gb!
Not to mention a 24 hour battery life (backlight off ofcourse)

HD95
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Purchased the Garmin Oregon 450T model about a month ago.Real nice, easy to use.The earlier problems with the screen being difficult to see in the sunshine appear to be solved.

demlake
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a Map76. It's older, but it does the job.

Reading this thread makes me think it might be time for an upgrade, though.

If you do buy a cheaper model, make sure you buy one that lets you enter coordinates into it. I believe the cheapest Garmin E-trex does not allow you to enter in coordinates, which is a real drawback.

Mauser98
05-10-2010, 09:20 PM
@ mauser98 - you must have had an old version of the etrex ledgend because mine has a colour screen, works well even indoors and for $15 i stuck a micro sd card in it to put the memory up to 8gb!
Not to mention a 24 hour battery life (backlight off ofcourse)

You've probably got a Legend HCx which has the features you describe.

The basic Legend has been discontinued.

turbochabot
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I have an Oregon 400T. Easy to use, topo Canada came preloaded which is great. Sometimes hard to see the screen in certain sun but is manageable. Glad to hear the 450 seemed to solve the screen issue. I got mine off of e-bay for $250 so am happy.

johnes50
05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a good quality GPS and just wondering what some of you already use. I do not have one at all, and don't know much about them. So I'm asking all the usual questions and looking for some feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of certain units. Thanks for your reply.....Rob.

What are you going to use it for? travel, bush, city, all of the above?

I have several Garmin unts with mapping and autorouting. I recently bought a Nuvi 255W that has a very readable color screen and is the easiest to use of all them. I loaded Topo Canada on it and can switch between city maps and topo maps. It can be disconnected and carryed with you for a couple of hours.

I also use an etrex Legend that I throw in my pocket when I go in the bush. I think it has a better receiver, but it's harder to read and more complicated to learn to use.

mikeman20
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
You've probably got a Legend HCx which has the features you describe.

The basic Legend has been discontinued.
ah yep that would be it, i didnt know there was any difference

moosinaround
05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I've got a Itelephone, but I think you need to be in a cell phone coverage area for that stuff to work.
I dont think so Gates, Brett has the I phone and can pick up lats and longs elevations outside of cell coverage. It will download waypoints into Google earth aswell. It is surprisingly accurate for a 2.99 aplication!! Moosin

brian
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I've got a Garmin 60cx and it is very capable. I use it extensively when scouting/ note taking so it gets a good beating dangling off my wrist. I've never had much a problem with it. The one time I did loose the signal completely was in heavy timber under thick clouds and with very windy/pissy conditions, I don't know if the civilian market has a GPS that would have worked under those conditions. The battery life is decent but definitely pack a spare set or four. The expandable memory is a huge improvement over built in memory. If you are shopping around for GPS's its signal strength is all in the antennae. For being out in thick bush you want a kick ass antennae. (Out of curiosity What kind of antennae is in an Iphone and how bad can conditions get before it looses its signal?)

On the software side, Garmin's mapsource is decent for its job but very limited at anything beyond downloading and uploading to the GPS. It has a great connection to google earth and if you get a hold of a few free programs online you can get some of your google earth data back onto your gps.

Benelli FanBoy
05-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Get a fairly new Garmin GPS.

I have the touch screen "oregon" series, Its good but I would prefer one with manual controls as the touch screen is a little annoying.

Also try to get one with an altimeter.

pupper
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I like the Garmin Rino 530 because of the radio built in as well. No need to take walky talkys along. Plus if all your hunting partners get em you can see their location on your screen. I did a full review here:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Garmin_Rino_530

kishman
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I use a Garmin Rino 530Hcx, I have buddies with the 60csx and the E-trex. I'd recommend any of the the three. I think it just boils down to what features your looking for and what the wife'll let you spend(jus' kidding:wink:). I really think you'll be happy whichever way you go.

Brett
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
go to the apps store and load MotionX GPS $2.99 it rocks and its cheap.
The editors of backpacking magazine use it instead of their Garmins

leatherlungs
05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I have had the garmin 60csx and I liked it but I decided to return it for the garmen 76csx. I like the fact that the 76 was a little bigger and that it floats if you happen to drop it in the water. It has incredible satellite reception and once you get used to it is very easy to use.
If I was going to look at a new one I would probably consider the rino 530hcx mainly because of the additional communication functions. If your hunting partner had one as well you can talk to them and see where they are on your gps. There are cheaper models ( rino 120 and 130 ) but they are only 1 watt so they do not have the communication range of the 5 watt 530.
I noticed someone mentioned using your iphone. The iphone is fun to use as a gps but it is not a true gps as it uses the cell sites to triangulate where you are. As soon as you run out of cell sites you are out of luck.

Dmytro
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I use eTrex Vista HCx. Not for mapping though- I only use it to track my way back and to mark points of interest. A very nice compact IPX7 unit with long battery life, very good GPS receiver and some bonus features such as ability to read altitude both off GPS signal and barometer.

TurtleGod
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Don't mean to Hi-jack the Thread but has anyone used a car GPS and put the TOPO charts on it.

How did it work in the bush?

Just wanted to know if I could justify the cost for a new GPS.

TurtleGod

Mauser98
05-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Don't mean to Hi-jack the Thread but has anyone used a car GPS and put the TOPO charts on it.

TurtleGod

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 765 in my car. I bought this particular model because it also has Bluetooth capability so I can talk hands-free on my cell.

It has internal memory of about 1.9 gb where the City Navigator maps reside. It also has a SD card slot so other maps such as Garmin Topo Canada and Ibycus topo maps that I have on a 2 gb SD card can be used.

As far as using this gps in the bush, it could be done. The unit has an off-road setting and is capable of storing waypoints but battery life is only about 4 hours and there's no navigation screen such as the one found on my 60Cx.

Brett
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I noticed someone mentioned using your iphone. The iphone is fun to use as a gps but it is not a true gps as it uses the cell sites to triangulate where you are. As soon as you run out of cell sites you are out of luck.

This is incorrect. Iphone 3G and 3Gs both have a GPS chipset. MotionX requires 3 satellite signals for an accurate location just like a hand held. I'm not saying it should replace a dedicated unit, but if you own one and it's with you most of the time $3 is great price for full featured gps on you phone

Brett uses MotionX-GPS on the iPhone 3G or 3GS and is sharing with you the following waypoint:

Comment: here is where I was

Name: Wypt 002 Date: 2010-05-05 8:02 am
Map:Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=54.606529235839844,-121.8756332397461&q=http://api.motionxlive.com/motionx-remote/api/gps/host/31723bf7-9261-4045-b988-f0641656050a)
iPhone/ iPod Map: Maps Application (http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=54.606528,-121.875634&z=18&q=Wypt+002@54.606528,-121.875634)
Longitude: 121.875634º W
Altitude: 788 m

There are two files attached to this email:
"Wypt 002.kmz"
A Google KMZ waypoint that can be displayed in Google Earth or Google Maps.
"Wypt 002.gpx"
An Open Standard waypoint that can be displayed by select mapping software.

Gateholio
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
This is incorrect. Iphone 3G and 3Gs both have a GPS chipset. MotionX requires 3 satellite signals for an accurate location just like a hand held. I'm not saying it should replace a dedicated unit, but if you own one and it's with you most of the time $3 is great price for full featured gps on you phone

Brett uses MotionX-GPS on the iPhone 3G or 3GS and is sharing with you the following waypoint:

Comment: here is where I was

Name: Wypt 002 Date: 2010-05-05 8:02 am
Map:Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=54.606529235839844,-121.8756332397461&q=http://api.motionxlive.com/motionx-remote/api/gps/host/31723bf7-9261-4045-b988-f0641656050a)
iPhone/ iPod Map: Maps Application (http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=54.606528,-121.875634&z=18&q=Wypt+002@54.606528,-121.875634)
Longitude: 121.875634º W
Altitude: 788 m

There are two files attached to this email:
"Wypt 002.kmz"
A Google KMZ waypoint that can be displayed in Google Earth or Google Maps.
"Wypt 002.gpx"
An Open Standard waypoint that can be displayed by select mapping software.

Brett, i am downloading the motion X as we speak:-D

any other cool apps I shoudl know about?:wink:

johnes50
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM

TurtleGod

Yes, Read my post. I have waypoints on it that I transferred from Mapsource. And you can put them in catagories: Campsites, Fishing holes, Timmies.

Brett
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
There are sooo many! Quick calls is a must, let it fly Is a ballistics calculator, there is an app with the bc hunting regs and a bunch more. There are also cool recipe apps that send you new recipe every day. Topo maps, games Timme tim hortons locator and apps that show realtime road works, police scanners. Wonder radio is a good one you can listen to over 60,000 radio stations world wide, best bet is to search the web first then go to app store or iTunes
ps. Sent from my iPhone sitting in doctors office while listening to music and chewing gum ;)

moosinaround
05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
There are sooo many! Quick calls is a must, let it fly Is a ballistics calculator, there is an app with the bc hunting regs and a bunch more. There are also cool recipe apps that send you new recipe every day. Topo maps, games Timme tim hortons locator and apps that show realtime road works, police scanners. Wonder radio is a good one you can listen to over 60,000 radio stations world wide, best bet is to search the web first then go to app store or iTunes
ps. Sent from my iPhone sitting in doctors office while listening to music and chewing gum ;)
What a NERD!!! Better dig out the topo and compass and give yah a crash course in orienteering before your sheep hunt!!! I'll be headin up there to find yer lost ass!! :wink: Moosin

Brett
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll see if I can dust one off :razz: Your gonna look awful funny with a grizz chasing you tomorrow! :0

tazerdogg
05-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Wow thank you all for the comments. I got my hands on a Rino 120 just the other day. Traded my HD Mechanic skills to a buddy for a few hours, and so it didnt cost me a cent:-D Just waiting for the manual for it. Seems like a good little unit but I'm not sure about the whole backlight thing....it seems kinda dark to read. A couple of my other buds have the 530's so I borrowed it for a few days to fool around with it. After having the color screen, I just may have to purchase one ....:grin: