PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bear Hunt Value?

drakehunter
05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey guys don't post much on here but enjoy reading alot, been hunting for about 10 years, have harvested deer,black bear and most small game. Im not trying to stir the pot and get anyone riled up over this issue, but can you actually eat a grizzly bear? or is it just a trophy hunt?

huntwriter
05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I know some hunters that eat grizzly bear and I was given by a friend a grizzly steak to try but I didn't care for the taste. In my personal opinion it doesn't matter what motivates a hunter to take a grizzly, meat or trophy it's all fine by me.

Gateholio
05-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Chow down, no reason not to eat it if you want to...

afors
05-09-2010, 10:33 PM
check it out lots it's all here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48664&highlight=eating+grizzly+meat

X-man
05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I couldn't eat a coastal bear (I tried), but a mountain grizz might be good table fair.

Get a meat thermometer before you cook any bear meat and bring it up to temperature.....There is a magic number...Look it up.
Trichinosis is no joke.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Value??? I'd say "Priceless"! You can't put a price on time spent in the mtns(especially in spring) with good friends, incredible scenery and the challenges that come with it:).

SSS

drakehunter
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
sorry I just can't see the pleasure in a trophy. Ive got trophys on my wall sure....but ive also eaten those animales. It really seems to be just a trophy hunt these days.

Jelvis
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I could not bear it, no grizz steaks for me so I only shoot what I can eat.
Deer moose grouse, I don't eat pork either yuck! Dead pig? Yikes
Grizz rug would be ok if I was young again .... in front of the fire place..lol
Jel knots

mikek blacktail
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
i'm going to eat mine if I shoot one.

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
i see no differnce between killing an animal for meat or pelt as a death is a death and they are both trophies.

In this day and age of farmed meats that fullfill every need we have to sustain ourselves there is no real excuse for hunting other then control of wildlife and a lifestyle choice.
You can farm organically you can purchase anything you want from organic to bio enhanced drug addled meats and everything in between.

People claiming to be a "Meat Hunter" and pretending that it is any better then any other type of hunting are useing a piss poor way to justify hunting as it is all a trophy be it meat or pelt.

I know of several guys that shoot deer and moose yet they dont eat the meat they give it away yet they still justify it by saying that they are meat hunters even if they are not the ones eating it.

the majority of people hunt for the same reason they fish , because they enjoy it.

mainland hunter
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
you most likely kill things all the time that you don't eat it, directly or indirectly. hunting bears is good for the overall species. In my mind it's not a "trophy hunt". It's an experience of a lifetime hunt that the mount later commemorates. Mount's aren't necessarily trophies. Their reminders of beautifull animals and successfull, memorable hunts, when I look at a mount I never see a "trophy" in the typical sense of the word. I see the animal and hoepfully it's beauty. To each their own though and lots of people won't agree with it. You should see all the animals killed on farms that are never eaten. If people are so opposed to not eating an animal they should be outraged at that, I'm not and most others aren't either. As long as conservation is the first concern with bears and bear hunting the anti argument doesn't seem all that solid to me. but that's just me I guess.

pupper
05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
you most likely kill things all the time that you don't eat it, directly or indirectly. hunting bears is good for the overall species. In my mind it's not a "trophy hunt". It's an experience of a lifetime hunt that the mount later commemorates. Mount's aren't necessarily trophies. Their reminders of beautifull animals and successfull, memorable hunts, when I look at a mount I never see a "trophy" in the typical sense of the word. I see the animal and hoepfully it's beauty. To each their own though and lots of people won't agree with it. You should see all the animals killed on farms that are never eaten. If people are so opposed to not eating an animal they should be outraged at that, I'm not and most others aren't either. As long as conservation is the first concern with bears and bear hunting the anti argument doesn't seem all that solid to me. but that's just me I guess.

very well put, that is exactly how I view mounting a "trophy". I may call it a trophy but to me it is like you say a commemoration of the hunt and a way to honor the animal.

Caveman
05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
i see no differnce between killing an animal for meat or pelt as a death is a death and they are both trophies.

In this day and age of farmed meats that fullfill every need we have to sustain ourselves there is no real excuse for hunting other then control of wildlife and a lifestyle choice.
You can farm organically you can purchase anything you want from organic to bio enhanced drug addled meats and everything in between.

People claiming to be a "Meat Hunter" and pretending that it is any better then any other type of hunting are useing a piss poor way to justify hunting as it is all a trophy be it meat or pelt.

I know of several guys that shoot deer and moose yet they dont eat the meat they give it away yet they still justify it by saying that they are meat hunters even if they are not the ones eating it.

the majority of people hunt for the same reason they fish , because they enjoy it.

Sounds like someone is looking to ruffle some feathers or is slowing going to the "Dark Side"

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Naw im going where it is bright and sunshine for days. :mrgreen:

what i am simply saying is that meat to sustain yourself is a small reason to hunt and many folks use that excuse because it is socially acceptable .

the truth is is that any animal animal taken recreationally is a trophy no matter why you chose to hunt it .

the value of a hunt or fishing is far more complicated then the meat or the pelt as it is the total experience. (putting a tangible value on an intangible)

huntwriter
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM

That is exactly how I see it too. Hunting is hunting no matter for what purpose. Nobody needs to hunt in this day and age and that makes hunting a sport any which way one looks at it.

CanuckShooter
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
That is exactly how I see it too. Hunting is hunting no matter for what purpose. Nobody needs to hunt in this day and age and that makes hunting a sport any which way one looks at it.

There are some people that have to hunt for the meat or hope that someone brings them some...it's a matter of economics.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
sorry I just can't see the pleasure in a trophy. Ive got trophys on my wall sure....but ive also eaten those animales. It really seems to be just a trophy hunt these days.

Have eaten grizzly before.
What if I shoot a grizz, take the meat and leave the hide(except for the CI parts)?? How does that sit with you??

SSS

huntwriter
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
There are some people that have to hunt for the meat or hope that someone brings them some...it's a matter of economics.

Hunting for meat is a lot more expensive then buying it in the store. From the time you prepare for the hunt until you kill an animal your deer steak has increased in price more than fourfold of a store brought steak. People may have different perceptions of what hunting is to them but by law it is a recreational activity, a sport. Funny thing is we have no problem saying "Sport fishing" but when it comes to hunting then it is supposed to be different. What's so different in killing a fish from a deer, moose, elk or bear. They're all animals and we kill them to eat and, or hang on the wall.

Jelvis
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Some simply love the taste of wild organic meat of deer, bear and moose etc. and are willing to spend a bit on the requirements to hunt legally in B.C. they get to bring home the bacon and have fun hunting too.
What more could a hunter want?

dutchie
05-10-2010, 11:43 PM

Shooting a fully mature 4 or 5 point Mulie is better for the species then shooing a spiker or 2 point... or the "Meat Buck".

The Grizz Hunts conservation hunts... to control the population so people like your self can go into the bush and still have deer to harvest without getting attacked or killed by a Grizz and have plenty of deer around.

The Media has labeled it a Trophy hunt, and yet overlooked the conservation side of the actual hunt.

If you go back to the CORE Manual and look up the "Carrying Capacity" this is the reason there are LEH's for Grizz... to control the population and equalize the Carrying Capacity of the animals.

Dutchie

TyTy
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd like to hunt bears, but feel consuming the kill is part of respecting the environment that produced that animal. But then again, i'd probably shoot a wolf if a saw one (during the fall) but i wouldn't eat that!

I have mixed feelings on taking bears. i think a blackie might make some wicked pepperoni! grizzlies; i don't know enough to have an opinion.

keep em on LEH, even if its all trophy hunting, atleast its controled.