PDA

View Full Version : blood tracking

spear
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I've got a 9 month old, male blue heeler. Looking for someone on the south island who might have experience in training a dog for blood tracking. I know Im starting late, just need another job for the dog and myself. Any help or suggestions is great

hotload
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I know somebody in the Okanagan but I suppose that ain't going to help. Hehe.

spear
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
You're alive!

boxhitch
05-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Might want to take a look at deersearch.org
Not too hard to train im yourself

bowhunterbruce
05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
maybe this will help ya out a bit
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

huntwriter
05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
It's not difficult to train a dog for blood tracking. With the basic knowledge that you can obtain on the Internet you will be able to do it yourself without paying a trainer. It's pretty basic stuff.

limit time
07-04-2014, 11:03 PM
maybe this will help ya out a bit
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/
Tag, tag,tag

IronNoggin
07-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I agree with most of what is written above. We employ trackers in both Alberta and BC, and all of our dogs have been trained by us ourselves.

Better to start much earlier than what you've indicated, but depending upon the dog's aptitude, it is still quite feasible.

I started my latest (145 lb 1/2 Timber Wolf, 1/2 Alaskan Husky) at a right early age - 6 or 7 weeks in fact. Used deer liver for the first month or so, and once he became proficient at that, switched it up to deer blood (frozen from the previous fall) and then eventually onto small pieces of hide / tails.

We start all of ours on a leash, which gets extended in length as the dog becomes more acquainted with the program.

It is best to vary the locations you practice in frequently. Some of the better dogs have a damn impressive memory of their successes in the same locale, and will begin to "predict" where the trail may lead rather than work & follow it.

Start off slow with fairly short trails (~ 30 yards or so). The "reward" at the beginning is priceless for future development IMHO. Tracking down and then getting to chow down on a piece of liver REALLY spurs their interest. Eventually run the lines out longer, and incorporate a few twists and turns after he/she has the initial line running down pat. I ended up with 4 - 500 yard lines wandering a great deal by the end of things. Something I still try to do several times a summer to keep him "fresh".

We also found that it was actually better when using blood to let it dry a spell before running it with the dog. They don't seem to stop and "localize" so much as they will on the fresh stuff.

Remember the treats when successful! And work them as often as you can without signs of them getting bored. Most "experts" suggest once every third or fourth day, and to change up the routine / location each time if at all possible. We found that works well.

Some breeds are better than others. In general we've found that a lot of the Mixed Breeds shine at this work, especially those with a "Good Nose" in their background.

Most dogs are Happy to Please, and this combines both their natural inborn hunting instinct with that aspect. As the others noted above, this generally means developing a decent tracking dog isn't all that difficult a task.

My Big Boy:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Boogs_Portrait_2.jpg

His nose has proven Deadly and his Drive while engaged in trailing is really something to behold! He's now located 6 deer that otherwise were entirely unlikely to be located. That and two bears to his credit! I am more than Happy I took the time to bring him into this, and continue to be amazed just how efficiently they can dig game out of the "haystack" when required!

Best of Luck with your pup! Methinks you and he are headed towards some rather FUN times afield, with the added Bonus that he may well find a game animal for you or your buddies when all other efforts have failed. No Prouder Moment! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

leadpillproductions
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
What dog would be good ive always had labs

IronNoggin
07-05-2014, 11:53 AM
What dog would be good ive always had labs

Know a fellow over in Alberta that uses labs and they worked well. Having a decent nose and the willingness to both Hunt & Please is the ticket.

Cheers,
Nog

MFERGIE
07-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Mooseman has some excellent threads on blood tracking, well worth reading!