PDA

View Full Version : Mothers day trophy..

srupp
05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100690001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100560001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100550001.jpg

steven

KB90
05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Beauty Bear Steven.

Love the Color.

srupp
05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Dont want a repeat of last Augusts no photo...:wink:

This was my day today...squares out at just shy of 7 feet...primo brown hide with no rubs..BIG huge mellon should make book (B&C) blond brown muzzle..big paws..hide is thick and luxurious....just has everything...close enough to 7 feet to call em that..

This is going to be a gift for a good friend..
The story is entertaining..and that will come tomorrow..biggest NON black black bear I have seen

cheers

Srupp

Steven

peashooter
05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
absolute beauty. good stuff.

kennyj
05-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Congratulations on the Awesome brown Steven. What a great day you had.
kenny

bayou
05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Congrats, love the colour

BimmerBob
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice looking melon on him Steven, so glad to see your health is allowing you to do what you love. Congratulations on another fine specimen!

bowhunterbruce
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
wait to go steven,he is gonna be a beaut all mounted up.awsome color and from what i see ,he does have it all.
bruce

Rattler
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Very nice bear...congrats Steven!

Sure looks like a second live bear in the background pic 3...

Tikka270wsm
05-09-2010, 08:06 PM
That's an awesome bear! Congrats on a real beauty and looking forward to story.

shaner338
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Awesome color phase!!
By far the biggest colored blackie I have seen!
Very big melon too!
Congrats Steven!!

NaStY
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
NICE trophy Steven. I sure like them brown phase ones. :mrgreen:

stroh72
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Well done Steven. If anyone deserved that you did. I'd be thinking probably the best this year you definitively set the bar high.Congrats!!

OutWest
05-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Love the colour on him. Can't wait to read the story. Nice bear!

Alpine85
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Looks like you had a great day, nice job on the bear!!

Timbow
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Awesome, and a possible B&C brown phase. Congraulations.

killman
05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Beauty bear Steven, congrats!

JDR
05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow, that is one massive head on that bear!!! Love the colour. Big congrats Steven!

Phil
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Way to go! A true melon head you've got there.

The Dawg
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Congrats buddy!!! Ignore my pm about pics ;)

srupp
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Rattler..lol ya its sure does...but its a burned out tree on its side...I had to look twice myself...lol

Thanks all,I was pretty sad to see my face all haggard and worn...being ill makes me sick.

The bear, like the stone sheep I shot last August isnt well shown in the photos..of course he had to pass away in the ditch of water..but the hide is absolute primo..5-6 " with no rubs...thick and glossy...

Big melon....and big paws...just cant believe this guy has it all...

Pretty thrashed..bed is calling.

Thanks for all the positive coments...hmm I guess I owe ERIC from this site for this one..if he hadnt sold me the new ATV tires..I wouldnt have been out there trying them out...and yes BAJA CROSS by ITP..best atv tire I have ever ridden on by FAR..more tomorrow...

I gotta get some tips on photography...I suck at that..

cheers and thanks

Steven

chris
05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
As somebody who regularily hunts williams lake. Damn count me as jealous

Shooter
05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
That sure is a beauty. I have never seen a color phase bear in my life (alive). I sure wish there were some on the Island.

d6dan
Way to go Steven!, Beautiful color and Big noggin :-D on that Bear.. Congrats..

Caveman
Great looking bear Srupp, nice color and coat, congrats!

Gateholio
05-09-2010, 08:59 PM
HA! Well done!
:-D:-D

pupper
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Gorgeous bear Steve, you deserve it.

kwasky
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
congrats on taking a beautiful bear!

mark
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Very nice bear Steve! Congrads! looks and measures exactly like the last bear I shot....about 13 years ago! lol

moosinaround
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Way to be SRUPP!!! Get some sleep, we can wait for the story!! Moosin

whitetailsheds
05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice bear Steve....congrats!

303Brit
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
That is a beauty of a colour phase bear, like you said it's got it all!!!!! Very nice, I'm sure the story will be worth the wait.

X-man
05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice bear....Nicer wife!

Get well dude.

You have some family resemblance to Gatehouse......?
Must be the illness......Poor fella! :mrgreen:

2slow
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
One of the nicest bears I have seen in a long time congrats

Blainer
05-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Good on ya Srupp.
Glad to see you back out there.
Beautiful bruin.

Johnnybear
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Good on ya Srupp.
Glad to see you back out there.
Beautiful bruin.

X2. This one say's it all. Great bear and good on ya for getting back out there Scrupp. Congrats big time for keeping it going.

sillybear
05-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Nice bear!! Pics look good good to me!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Glad to see you getting out there, srupp!! There's no better therapy for the mind.
Oh, and a pretty awesome bear, as well!

Congrats!

SSS

BiG Boar
05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Wicked bear dude! Way to put one down! What a beauty too! Looking forward to hearing the skull size. Keep us posted on the story....

Brambles
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
WOW you must be a changed man, you posted pics BEFORE the story, no 3 week wait and then a dry squirt.....

That being said, thats one hell of a bear, you don't find big brown's like that very often, quite the rare prize.

Congrats, and look forward to reading the story.

Mik
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Great to hear your back out their Steven, congrats on yet another fine bear!

05-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Great job Srupp!
nice looking bear. Wish we had browns on the island.

proguide66
05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
The ' Master' at work!!..verrry cool , great pics!!:mrgreen:

JeremyCarrano302
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
congrats thats a beauty got me juices flowing lol gunna go out this weekend now :mrgreen:

srupp
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
LMAO Brambles THATS the FIRST thing I thought about..get the photos up BEFORE the story....

BIGBORE14 this pig was harvested in exactly the area I took you out in...

"yellowfruit lake" sort off..lol bear up the tree...3 kms further..

I phoned my friends and let them know I had their black bear..it wasa "special " request from the MRS. and now she will have a DANDY bear for their LODGE..and I keep my pilot happy..happy wife...happy life..

srr

shantz
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Congrats on the successful hunt. That's an amazing Bear.

Manglinmike
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Way to go steven that bear is a hog I have not seen a seven ft brown in flesh yet and it looks great, good to see that you are out and about how are you feeling?

Wild Images
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Nice bear, anyone else notice how much alike they look in the first pic :)

srupp
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
ha ha ha.. ya except Im a "old silvertip"..

another photo /view..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100580001.jpg

cheers
Steven

story will follow today after dropping same said bear off a taxidermists and physio session

Steven

yama49
05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Awesome bear, look foward to story.

Rackmastr
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Great lookin bear!!

srupp
05-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Spring 2010 trophy black bear ..

I had recently purchased a new set of ITP Baja Cross ATV tires for my Honda quad , from Huntbc member Eric..aka Neeha..and was itching to see what they would do..So having a reasonably good day as far as health goes I had two options go glass for Cali sheep or go look for a black bear…I chose the bear option because I would encounter snow there also…and I had promised the wife of my pilot to get her a good bear for their lodge..

So I packed the big green diesel with hunting gear, quad, and everything I thought I might need for a couple of hours riding and headed out towards Horsefly some 60 minutes away…the trip was short and enjoyable as a few mule deer were encountered as they fed in the warm spring heat…I had taken Leaseman and his son in here on Nicks deer hunt, and also Dave..AKA BIGBORE 14 on a bear hunt a couple years prior and knew after 3 decades of hunting this place held a decent amount of bears AND 40 % of them sported non traditional black bear colors...my “Farrah Fawcett” blond black bear was harvested in this area as well as numerous other bears..

I unloaded the quad , loaded up the gun case and the day box and slowly headed down the trail….INSTANTLY I appreciated the choice of new tires..they were awesome providing a much better ride , more responsive feel and now I knew how the bike would respond…..no more squirmy ride..the radial design and 8 plys made for a much much better tire. THANKS ERIC.

I ended up climbing up towards the alpine even though I knew from years of experience that the bears would be lower down feeding on the new pockets of greening grasses…but I wanted to sit and glass a few likely locations from one of the many vantage lookout spots I had discovered over the years , and soon I found a good one and grabbed my 4 litres of water and binos and spotting scope and sat down back against the now warm quad looking out over the wide vista of the area surrounding Horsefly lake far below. Before I could even lift the Swarovski binos I spotted a bear on one of the trails leading to a cutblock….a casual scan of the area soon revealed yet another black bear munching happily down another trail ….wow… 2 bears in under a minute without even using the binoculars so I instinctively turned to a small little cutblock that has in the past decades held some of the best bears...and immediately I caught movement along the back of the overgrown cutblock yet another black bear however this one was noticeably larger, much larger, and carried a deep luxurious brown colored coat…

So I picked up the 8 power Swaros and glassed the bear..and man did I ever get a surprise..the bear was facing me some 3 kilometers away and far, far below...however the instant I laid eyes upon him I kew he was a special bear...he was huge in a big and “blocky” way..his back side rose in elevation to his front end....always a good sign of size , the hide was a glorious chocolate brown that shimmered and danced in the spring sun.,.his neck was thick and massive and the hair here was highlighted and showed just how long and thick his hair was…and even from here the head looked massive especially wide…now this was a guy that deserved…no demanded a closer look .

One of the things about knowing….I mean REALLY knowing an area intimately is that not only do you know the normal places to stop and glass…places others would drive on by without giving it a look over, let alone a second glance but you also know HOW to approach each area…..the trails and how close I could get on the Honda. .and where I could hide the ride while I snuck in for a closer look..and the size and shape and layout of the cut block the thicker forest behind and feeder trails, and small creeks to cover any errant noises..

I got on the Honda and cracked her open, the tires now aggressively grabbing the dirt and mud , shooting me down the hill and towards an encounter with MR Bruno..yet being careful enough that I didn’t dump the ride and ruin the whole scheme..I quickly covered the ground down toward the bear, first this trail then that one, then another one..all the while formulating the rest of the plan literally “on the fly”..

Soon I had descended into the valley below and slowed down looking for “THE” place to ditch the Honda now some 20 kilometers from my truck...it would be nice to have a ride still there to take me to the Ford diesel at the end of the adventure regardless of the outcome….I found the spot and pulled the bike in on the back of some thick trees..turned the 500cc machine off and pocketed the keys..ensuring the pocket of the coat that held these precious keys was securely and completely zipped…I donned my day pack carrying I SPOT..rangefinder, knifes,licences, tags, sildome,blood finder..water hydration bag, soap,camera , GPS, and everything I might need…

I took out my Sako.338 model 85 in synthetic stock with Corlanes custom 3 piece muzzle brake.., I snapped the clip into the rifle confident in the 225 grain Barnes tsx bullets that had been specially worked up for this rife by my great friend Garry Deane checked the leupold variable rifle scopes optics were clear and clean, and flipped up the scope caps..I then racked a shell and placed the safety carefully on and keeping the rifle in hand turned and slowly headed into the woods towards the bear.

srupp
05-11-2010, 02:57 AM
I figured I was some 600 yards or so from where I knew I had last seen the brown bear some 30 minutes earlier, but since I had not been able to keep my eyes on him I was forced to start slowly in case the bear had moved any distance. I would take a step and glance carefully around…and since the area had been logged and burned there were an amazing amount of large round black tree hollows that resembled black bears all through this cut. After some 20 minutes of carefully checking each and every depression, each and every nook and cranny I spotted some fresh bear prints , very fresh tracks headed in the same direction I was….these tracks were in excess of 6 inch width on the front pads…and from years of checking I have relied on whatever width of the front pad change from inches to feet and add one..so my find of 6 inch plus width front pads ,could mean a 7 foot bear…WOW he was big..and the tracks clearly showed it to be a black bears track and that the claws were also large..

So with this added incentive I headed on even slower and with more diligence..quietly, slowly..watching the wind and what I was walking on..anytime I could get “the high ground” gain any elevation I chose that route so as to see “down “ into the hundreds of small depressions that held pooled water and green grass around it..stopping to listen looking at everything for movement for brown for more tracks….anything and everything…all the while my legs both of them started to burn in the knees..and I was pretty certain that was “all I had” the knew just wouldn’t let me carry on much further…sheesh…a lousy 600 yards MAX..thats all pretty pathetic Rupp.. hopefully I can get this surgery done and have more to offer…In fact I had not even gone 600 yards more likely maybe 250 yards..when I stopped for a moment to rest the knees..I sat on a log and was thinking strategy when I heard a distinctive “SNAP” now I cant tell you how loud that “snap” was, however ,what I can tell you is it got and held my complete and undivided attention…

I sat for some 5 minutes and nothing further was heard..so I slowly and carefully got to my feet..looked around and somewhat backtracked some 25 feet to get some higher ground visibility, and there was a slight sliver of brown along the yellow dried grasses…my heart skipped a beat..as the brown was so small but exactly the same shade of brown as the bear sported I had seen some 90 minutes earlier….I sloooooooly eased around a massive dead stump still standing and could see the movement and there he was. Now there has been talk..a lot of talk on judging bears..and I admit they are indeed one of the hardest animals to judge as the don’t sport any sort of antlers to help define a big one or a trophy or even a mature animal but in this case one look on the hill instantly let me know a closer look was warranted..no spotting scope no discussion with myself..I just knew…..experience..

Now with the bear a scant 30 -40 yards max. away, again , there was no need to talk myself into anything….what I saw was a very large brown phased black bear…I estimated over 400 pounds….heavy boar. This bear also had amazing gorgeous flawless primo coat….no rubs that I could see..the feet were massive and ended in tan colored large claws…the head was especially wide with the ears hanging off the sides..and add to this the most wonderful shade of chocolate and reddish brown color coat…..wow….almost too good to shoot…I did say “almost”..not wantint to risk movement or be discovered by a fickle shifting wind I slowly lifted the muzzle of the rifle and slowly “snicked “ off the safety and increased the variable scope power from 2x up to 4 x…everything till now was going smoothly…too smoothly and now the bear was feeding away into the big dark forest where I could not follow..and the shot offered was from the shoulders back to his rump..no shoulder shot…DARN ! (or something similar was muttered) I only had the vital chest from the side behind the shoulder…I only had literally seconds before the brown ghost would slowly and forever silently dissolve into the woods..so I slowly squeezed off a shot.

Now the instant the shot boomed through the forest I expected 2 things to happen both at the sam time..I would hear a “smack “ as the bullet tore through both sides entering AND leaving..and that this same bear would be dropped like a rock stone dead to the ground..a completely reasonable expectation…but neither happened !The bear didn’t even react like he had been hit merely scared and ran off…color me surprised..actually I was STUNNED..what the HECK JUST HAPPENED..??Did I miss a 7 foor bear at under 40 yards some 400 pound bear broadside standing and me shooting with a rest and miss???

Surely a .338 win mag expelling a .225 grain TSX would garner some sort of reaction??something???But nothing..I played back the sequence of events..several times in my mind , not reaching any solution that made any sense.. MAYBE JUST MAYBE MR. DEANE HAD MADE A DUD bullet as he had so many times promised..I then chambered a fresh round and pocketed the spent casing and slowly walked forward rifle at the ready…when I got to the spot Houdini HAD been standing I could clearly see the tracks frantically dug out of the wet ground as the bear had left exit stage left..in four wheel drive everything pumping and going..but no signs of a hit..no hair…no blood no poop nothing..so I slowly got off to the side of the tracks and started following the tracks..but from the side JUST in case the bear was alive wounded or merely upset and scared and watching his backtrack..I wound around 3 maybe 4 big trees and there laying in a small depression was a large..a very large and very dead brown bear..I instantly put the rifle on him and watched..nothing..slowly and carefully going in and I ensured he was expired before realizing he was better MUCH BETTER than I had even hoped for…

Later on I realized that I heard no WHUMP because the animal was so close the BOOM and the THUMP were all together, why he didn’t “react” I don’t know…as I usually never try anything but the shoulder shot

So some day If your ever in Nimpo lake and are in the neighborhood of Pine Point Lodge and have a few moments or are even looking for a good place to camp or cabin it…you could always stop in and se Rollie or Tamara..and their new addition for their wall…

Cheers

Steven Rupp

Blainer
05-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Great story.
Well written.
Needs pictures,and I will help.
tfs.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100560001.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100690001.jpg

Tikka270wsm
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Awesome story! Worth the wait. Being familiar with the country you were hunting sure helped by the sounds of it. Congrats!

srupp
05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
HA HA HA...went to find the "story " after hours of one fingered hunt and peck most of last night ..and it was gone!..Couldnt find it..and then there it was here..sheeesh..

At least the photos were here days before the story..

enjoy..

steven:-D

Fireball129
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
great bear and good story,Congarts man

srupp
05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the help with the photos Blainer..

TIKKA270WSM....yes its NOW perfect timing for spring bears here in the Cariboo also..to see 3 bears in 5 minutes(tops) was a sure sign that its happening..and ALL bears looked jet black..well actually "blue" when a black bear hide/hair is long and complete with no rubs it actually develops a blue tinge..look to the hide...primo..

I now am forced to fish..and camp and do physio..unless the Dr clears me for back to work..I hope its YES..:-D..maybe Susan will allow me another black bear tag???probably not..but there still are one or 2 more PIGS back there..I have seen another VERY LARGE black colored bear..and a 6 1/2 foot BLONDE in there also..I would expect there are 25 blacks in that small area..great water and lots of it...fresh greens..lots of food and its spread out over considerable ELEVATION...so the bears can follow it UP in elevation as it greens up higher they follow the highest nutrition greens..and cool;est temps..till breeding season starts..

cheers
Steven

shaner338
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Great read Steven,
Congrats again on that fine specimen!!
Cheers,
Shane

moosinaround
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Steven, that is a story worthy of the bear harvested. Thanks, Moosin

steepNdeep
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Great account and awesome bear!! Bears don't thrill me much these days, but I was psyched to read your story... it didn't disappoint. Congrats. :cool:

hillclimber
05-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Awesome story srupp. Most likely heading to Likely this July for a week to help out build a cabin. Now only if bear season was still open. Maybe I can sneak some time in the end of June. Hoping to hear another story of bear #2 soon.

Cheers
Stefan

chinookkiller
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
great story,nice color bear,all are fantanstic!

srupp
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
hillclimber..I do not know when black bear season actually neds but as late as it goes go HIGH..in behind Likely Cariboo mts head towards Maeford lake area..slides and cuts up high early am or better yet LATE AFTERNOONS!

cheers
Steven

300win
05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Congrats, nice bear. Need story???

hillclimber
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the tip srupp really appreciate it. Spring Black Bear ends June 30th i believe. I also want to check out the Swift River, Quesnel River, Cariboo Mountain, Porter Creek, and Cariboo River for some grizzies and maybe snap a couple of pics if I end up going there in July.

TheDuckinator
05-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Awesome bear, excellent story. I kinda was hoping for some climactic build up for the pictures but I guess I can live without :p

Gratz!

log_roller
05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Did you punch it in the nose and kill it with your bare hands? :mrgreen:

srupp
05-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Hmmm I did indeed drop off this bear @ Steve Rutherford??@ Wildlife Designs on Pigeon Rd 150 Mile house (just south of Williams Lake )Steve Has done my last bear, that bear was also a gift for a good friend and Steve did an exellent job on the last bear and I know he will do this bear proud.

Steve did agree with me that the coat was primo and once cleaned and dried will be amazing..very good quality hair and no rubs at all..

Thats the thing about this bear that the photos dont show..and thats THE QUALITY of the hair..the head is nice, so are the paws..massive mitts, and his teeth are worn waaaaaaaaaaay down a exceptional old bear,and I do really like the muzzle its a golden brown and really is one of the most beautiful bear muzzles I have seen..

no this bear ..to me and in my opinion is not about the 7 foot square..its about the luxurious coat he wore..and once washed and combed and cleaned that will be the overwhelming aspect of this bear...I have not seen a big off colored black bear..maybe 6 1/2 foot..it has always been my experience that these off colored bears tend to be smaller...mostly much much smaller..so it was nice it all came together and he had everything going for it .

I know Rollie is more of a "meat hunter" lol he told me he doesnt have "any recipees for antlers ":mrgreen:....and that Rollie works very very hard as a Paramedic ( as do all Paramedics..:wink: ) and running his Pine Point Lodge on Charlotte lake @ Nimpo lake..leaves him far too litle time to get out into the woods..hopefully he and I and Tim will get some moose tags for out there and we can spend some more time this fall in camp together..we all 3 Tim, Rollie and myself already have 3 Dall sheep tags from the early LEH..

I have just been blessed, last Augusts Stone sheep and now this brown phased black bear...and now knowing it will go to a good home and hang around...

Steven

Springer
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow Nice Bear Elmer !! So instead of getting up in the middle of the night when you cant sleep and tying flies your now writing articles worthy of a magazine. I can just picture the area your hunting with snow still up at higher eleveations.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC02254.jpg
I would like to see the new Honda pics with the new tread and compare it the old tires.http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC02248.jpg
I picture those big stumps being about this big..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC02260.jpg
I saw a nioce color phase on my way home but not nearly as big as yours.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC02303.jpg
I also saw a beauty of a Black bear.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC02298.jpg

It was a great holiday and thanks for the hospitality,the stories,the gained Knowledge and showing me around your backyard where you hunt.
Wish i could have shared this hunt with you.
Cheers.

srupp
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Phil..ya poopy timing but a great time..lol the BIG brown was in fact harvested less than 100 yards from the photo I took of you on top of that BIG BURNED STUMP...go figure...sheesh

We ALWAYS enjoy your visit..man I still have 2 cases of COLD beer ya never finished..lol

more times in the future we did see the new Black lab puppies a couple hrs ago coming back from the surgeons..think on of those new purebred black lab female puppies will be our new family member for the next 12 -14 years..

Steven

Th0r
05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Nice one!:-D

Springer
05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Man I tried to drink most of yours and leasemans Beer when i was there.
I know i came home heavier than when i left, between the Beers ,Ally's and Susans Cooking how could i not.
It was awesome to read your story and have a vivid picture in my mind . No problem ,maybe we can plan next year for a better time a little later and bring the boys out for a first Bear with you Uncle Elmer.
Looking forward to seeing Ebony as well.
They never kept you in after your Surgery today?
Ok now pics of those new BaHa Grippers !!!

srupp
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
ya Ill post BAJA cross photos soon..

no surgery one more MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Im trying it back @ work

Steven

hunter1947
05-14-2010, 02:59 AM
I can't open up the red X box to see you bear Srupp on your first post ??? :confused: but I am sure it is a dandy bear.

Anyways congratulations on getting this fine colored black bear http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Wild one
05-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Great bear Steve

It looks even nicer than I had pictured in my mind. My bear hunt did not go as well as yours I only seen 3 worth trying for.

srupp
05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
ya John..he turned out to be a real beauty....

steven

srupp
05-22-2010, 12:54 PM
The bears are running EVERYWHERE....seen a whole lot of blacks and grizzlies....several different G bears in just under 3 hours

as well as another HAWG of a black bear..black this time...ya me without my second tag ...:cry:...STOOOOOPID manover..

STEVEN

srupp
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Got the head home from the taxidermist...its all wrapped in plastic , now in the freezer for a couple of days then off to Vancouver Island for a date with some flesh eating beetles..Dermestadid??/sp??

Anyhow the skull is amazingly heavy and big..the taxidermist through a tape on it for a very rough peek at its size..over 20 3/8..so maybe just under 20 " when done??Hopefully over 19 3/4..

cheers
Steven

TSW
05-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I didn't think you were allowed to put the skull in the freezer before the "drying time" was over in order to get an accurate measurement for B&C. Maybe that's just with horns.

Schutzen
05-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Steven
Whooee
When u kills bear u really get em big!
Primo too the max that baby.
Can't wait to see how the skull comes out when u can officially measure it.
Make sure we get to see that Rug when its done too.
Great story post and pics.
Hope your time at work is going OK for u are u on graduated?
Cheers

05-29-2010, 07:07 AM
What a cool color on that bear.
Never had the chance to take a brown phase at all.
Must be few in the area's I hunt.
Congrats to you/
CT

buckguy
05-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Great looking bear! Beautiful color. Congrats!

srupp
05-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Not interested in the "BOOK".....just interested in what it scores for interest sake...and a friendly competition with another bear hunting buddy who also shot a big black bear..."mine is bigger than yours " thing...:wink:

Shutezen..no still off work for a while it looks???

Curley tOP...the area I hunt has 40 % off colored black bears...:mrgreen: so great choice of colors..

cheers
Srupp

Mtnhunter
05-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Congratulations Steve! Great story and a GREAT Bear!
Cheers,
Craig

The Dawg
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I saw that things skull in person today....friggen HUGEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

srupp
05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Steve..great to meet you and your young lady and the pit bull wanna be, :wink: I really enjoyed the visit....I still managed to get Susans list copmpletely done...

Yes that skull is a decent one.... its off to get introduced to some beetles..lol

Glad you arrived home safe.

cheers
Steven

BiG Boar
05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Not interested in the "BOOK".....just interested in what it scores for interest sake...and a friendly competition with another bear hunting buddy who also shot a big black bear..."mine is bigger than yours " thing...:wink:

Curley tOP...the area I hunt has 40 % off colored black bears...:mrgreen: so great choice of colors..

cheers
Srupp

What does the 3rd party say it green scores Steve?....Come on, I want to know! I have an independant scorer that will vouch for 19 3/4.

Heading out for a day of it tomorow, hopefully my wife will connect on her first BGA.

srupp
05-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi David...I had someone throw a "quick tape" on the skull after scraping to the measuring points..

He got a rough idea of 20 4/16....

Thats why Im sending the skull over to the island for the beetles to clean it up...I had to quickly freeze it so it could be shipped :wink: and the best way to clean a skull without damaging the skull or cracking it or having it shrink up is the beetles...normally I would not bother..

Not sure how accurate the 20 4/16 is..although the skull is massive one of the best I have seen for a while...showed Noahdawg today and did have to remind him this is a black bear skull..

I had a "friendly bet" with a guy from the Rod and Gun Club who keeps reminding me or giving me a rough time about how many guys I have helped get their black bear and grizzly bear..and as he said..

"THOSE THAT DO ... DO...THOSE THAT cant ..TEACH.."...and that Im great at helping others get their moose, sheep, deer blacks and grizzlies..but not my own big bear....I guess helping 6 individuals put grizzlies in the Boone and crockett book in 4 years isnt good enough:eek:

Oh well...I thought perhaps my black "might " take the local gun club competition..but with Jesse Bennetts wicked new black bear he harvested IF he is a member..he just slammed that award..ane well deserved that thing looks like a tank...

Time will tell on the accurate score on my bears skull..its really difficult untill it is properly stripped of all meat, and dried out...

WHATEVER it is what it is, and I am happy with it..I am only dissapointed I was by myself..and Phil or Joe or Allison, or Mike Campbell or his son Nick wernt there when i went bear hunting..dont really like spending my hunting time alone....would have rather watched someone else harvest it...oh well at least I get to give it away...it will be seen by many many more folks at Pine Point Resort....

cheers

Srupp

Wild one
05-31-2010, 08:34 AM

cheers
Srupp

Steve

It is bad enough you got to tease me with this nice coloured bear but to say the area you hunt is 40% colour phase that is just another poke in the ribs :mrgreen:.

Well the seasons not over yet and I am planning on going for a week in June. Maybe I will end my curse and arrow a nice coloured bear but till then I will have your bear in my mind haunting me as motivation in my search.

John

srupp
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
lol and now with jesse shooting such a PIGGGGGG of a bear could be NEW WORLD RECORD...Williams LAke will be inindated with bear hunters..sigh..

John I will share with you the area I hunt..if your interested???

cheers
Steven

bighornbob
05-31-2010, 07:25 PM
lol and now with jesse shooting such a PIGGGGGG of a bear could be NEW WORLD RECORD...Williams LAke will be inindated with bear hunters..sigh..

cheers
Steven

Wait til the 60 day drying period before you start worrying about hunters coming to Williams Lake. Many a "record book" animal never becomes a record for whatever reason.

Lets wait for the final score.

BHB

jessbennett
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
we can only wait and see what it ends up. whatever it ends up scoring, its a bear of a lifetime for me!!!!!:mrgreen:

bighornbob
05-31-2010, 07:52 PM
its a bear of a lifetime for me!!!!!:mrgreen:

Thats the main thing!!!!!!!!!!

BHB

Wild one
05-31-2010, 08:16 PM

cheers
Steven

I may take you up on that but right now I have to wait for my uncle to get back from over seas as I promised I would take him for his first bear hunt.

Thanks for the offer but the last bear hunt is kind of for him so I have to see what he wants to do.

srupp
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
True that BHB..as Garfield says

"ITS NOT THE HAVING ITS THE GETTING "..

Tongue in cheek with the inindation with bear hunters..lol:wink:

Absolutley 2 of the biigest bear "skulls" I have seen turned out to be meat heads..

My only 8 foot black 25 years ago had a MASSIVE head..but when skinned out the head was all meat and the skull went only 21 inches and change...

Good point BHB

srupp

Elkhound
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I hear ya Steven.....few years back that 7fter i got skull measured under 20inches. The head was massive. LOL....all fat.

Congrats on the bear. Hes pretty.

srupp
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
...so time marches on...the taxidermist I use for bears phoned this afternoon and told me this black bear has returned from the tannery and he seemed "really impressed" with the condition of the hide and how luxurious and thick the hair was...but I already knew this..:mrgreen:

So next week even in spite that I made a present of this to a friend..I am going to take a quick "boo" at the tanned hide and take a photo or so for this site....

Then a matter of a few months and the bear will be completed...

steven

srupp
03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Well the bear was finished..and BEFORE I could get a photo..my friends picked it up and its already UP on the wall in Nimpo lake area...they "love it" and I phoned the txidermist and he said it turned out right at the 7' squared size(a bit wider than longer as is usual) the headww as BIG AND WIDE and the shoulders BIG, the claws were long and full and the hide perfect long PRIMO.

was trying to post on the bear update but SITE is so screwed up keeps punting me out....FIX it or shut the site down....dont have 2 hours to post an update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes UPSET

srupp

BCHunterTV
03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
great looking bear!

Pioneerman
03-27-2011, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=
SITE is so screwed up keeps punting me out....FIX it or shut the site down....dont have 2 hours to post an update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes UPSET

srupp[/QUOTE]

Everything is working good for me now on the site, but I had to update my browser from IE 8 to IE 9, and all is working perfect. Great bear by the way , looking forward to getting something again this spring.

Ambush
03-28-2011, 07:31 AM
[I]
the headww as BIG AND WIDE[QUOTE]

So what did the skull end up measuring?

srupp
03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
[I] the headww as BIG AND WIDE[QUOTE]

So what did the skull end up measuring?

It ended up being 19 " skull... and a 7 foot squared beauty..once I get a chance I will scoot out to Nimpo and take a photo..

cheers
Steven

paw325
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Dandy bear Srupp....