PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Jet Boat

fishonbc1
05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
This is the deal - I have a 19 ft Custom Weld Jet Boat (14 deadrise) Kodiak 350w 312 At pump. We run up and down the Fraser during the summer chasing sturgeon and salmon. I know running the northern rivers can be tricky but i was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the parshnip river up in PG. What are the water levels in the fall - can it be navigated by a Jet Boat. I'm new to hunting and eager to learn. A wise man once told me that true wisdom is learning from other's mistakes - so hoping others can give some feedback!!!! Thanks in advance

fishonbc1
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I meant parsnip river

Ted
05-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I have seen guides up there with jet boats and have canoed it a little in previous years. Have to watch for logs accross the water.

Riverratz
05-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Depends where on the Parsnip you intend to go and how gutsy you want to be.
Upstream of Hominca confluence it is generally shallow, narrow, tight and very winding, with primarily silt/mud bottom. Some gravel & rock riffles. Steep mud banks and dense bush to the water's edge along most of the course. Quite a few mud bars and sand bars that are not visible during muddy water, (most of the time) with some braided/swampy sections along the valley flats. Parsnip is better suited to smaller, lighter boats, shallow draft, with o/b jets.....14-16' ft. open hull style. Gets shallower into the fall....wider sections are very shallow. A few log jams and beaver dams higher up, some you can jump, sweepers are not uncommon. Have a chainsaw on board.
Launches, if you can call them that, are few a far between, generally steep and muddy. Have a winch on the truck or second truck to pull.
Some of the locals with larger boats (18') and good knowledge of the river run it, but in a general sense, if new to the area, a 19' with 14 deg. bottom would not be recommended, can almost guarantee getting stuck and running into the banks unless you know where you are going.

Benthos
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM
i know several that just use a 12ft aluminum and outboard on the parsnip. forget the jet boat, take something smaller :-D

Mooseter
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Not the place to learn, not the boat for that small of river.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-09-2010, 01:54 AM
i luiv jet boating on the parsnip try in early spring wter levels last year where very high last year and we took 2 large river boats to the artic lake but very exp operators very sharp corners and narrow spots be sure to duck when you come under the bridges in high water nd slow down good luck :) you will probably need some knowledge of clearing mud silt out of jets ect....